RK Coilover Confusion...... - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
RK Coilover Confusion......
Sunday, March 20, 2005 12:48 PM
Hey guys, I just picked up a set of RK sport coilovers (sleeve kit) and koni yellows for my Cavalier. Im having 2 problems. First is the perches on the sleeves. They are really tight and will bind up after 2 or 3 turns, as if the perch is too tight on the sleeve. I've tried lubricating it a bit, and it doesn't help. Second, on the rear koni's, is the only thing that the rk sleeve will mount on the little ring supplied with the koni for the stock spring perch to sit on? If thats the way, then Im doing it right I guess. Let me know, as Im getting itchy to put these things on but can't yet!

Re: RK Coilover Confusion......
Sunday, March 20, 2005 1:25 PM
i just installed those like 3 days ago, but i did it with stock struts. Rides insanely impressive. Little bouncy but that just comes with lowering, rides real smooth though overall, my suggestion, use stock struts, they work fine.

*yeah, i know im gonna be called idiot for saying use the stock cause they arent made for it, but the RK instructions are made for stock struts and i get a great ride with em!*

Sunday, March 20, 2005 1:47 PM
You may ride good for awhile, but it will go downhill quick. Do it once, do it right. Anyone have any answers for me?

Sunday, March 20, 2005 3:33 PM
I had same problem with those sleeves on an install I did for someone else.

I think the design that they try to use as a selling point is a joke. You can take the locking screw all the way out and them mo fo's are still tight as hell. I just had to man handle them to get them were I wanted them. Some were easier than others.

Sounds like you have the rear going right.

I am all that is man

Sunday, March 20, 2005 6:14 PM
First off, suggesting they get installed on stock struts is just plain stupid. You clearly don't know anything about suspension design so until you educate yourself, please refrain from giving anyone any advice. If you knew what dampers were for and how they worked then you'd know why using those ones was a bad idea. Being bouncy does NOT come with lowering. Being bouncy comes from having bad dampers and is a dangerous state to be in. Anyone who actually knows anything would at least know that.

Secondly, yes, you mount them on that weld where the stock perches go. If it's good enough to hold up the perches, it's good enough for the sleeves.

Finally... I don't know what to say about the perches being too tight. Ground Control uses the same design and I've never had an issue. I loosen up the screw and they just spin freely. Is there any chance that the sleeves got bent (compressed to slightly oval) or anything? Just not sure what to suggest for that. If lubing them isn't helping... I'd contact RK and see what they have to say. That's weird.

Sunday, March 20, 2005 8:05 PM
Remove that screw. Stick a screw driver in the gap and twist to help open it up just a bit. Should help it spin easy.

I am all that is man

Sunday, March 20, 2005 8:09 PM
I've tried that already. No screws, as RK forgot to include them when they sent my coils, so I have to wait until next week to get them, anyways, its loosens them a bit, but not really. I don't want to gouge the aluminum either. I sent RK an email, so we'll see what they say tomorrow.

Sunday, March 20, 2005 8:26 PM
Mine really didn't spin that well until you put the screw in. They are bowed a liitle bit when you put the screw in they become easier to spin.
Monday, March 21, 2005 5:38 AM
Eric Holland wrote:Mine really didn't spin that well until you put the screw in. They are bowed a liitle bit when you put the screw in they become easier to spin.

This is definitely a possibility. I've never tried to turn mine without the screw in. It's possible that the ends aren't lining up properly, causing this difficulty.

That's a hell of a lot more plausible than my "sleeves might be squished" idea.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search