Factory swaybar endlinks/bushings - Page 2 - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Factory swaybar endlinks/bushings
Saturday, March 19, 2005 10:54 PM
MeltdOwn350 aka cOdy wrote:
Tommy Boy wrote:To me going to a parts or hardware store and spending less than 10 buxs on two grade 8 zinc plated bolts and some washers is well worth it. I know it may not be necessary but I do autox regualry and there can be some mean potholes in this town.

I ordered my endlink bushing and D bushings last night so I will be working on all this soon. Thanks for all the info people!

where did you order these from and exactly what part numbers did you use????

did you use these numbers?

Quote:

From energy suspension

9.8117 - endlinks (these are 2 5/8" tall does that sound right?)

24mm
3.5167 - sway bar "D" bushings

or did you get those d bushings and use this part number for the endlinks

Quote:

e/s 9.8122 R for red

Sunday, March 20, 2005 8:50 PM
Sorry Cody I havent checked back on this post!

Just did the c-arm, endlinks, and D bushings this Friday.

Autoxed on them earlier today and along with my new 14" Azenis I must say wow!

I ended up ordering the endlinks and D bushings from JC Whitney. I went with the Prothane since all the other poly is from them and it just must be happier together!

I used the "B" style bracket 15/16" (24mm) swaybar D bushings and they do fit in the stock mounts perfectly!

What sucks is having to drop the subframe to get at the left side one. Major PITA but worth the effort. I didnt drop mine all the way just took out all the bolts except the ones in the wheel wells. I loosened them up but left them in.

The endlinks were easy as pie and Im not even gonna talk about the c-arms.

swaybar D bushing "B" style bracket

Prothane part # 19-1133

JCW SKU: ZX859781U

endlink bushings ¾" × 1" OD set of 8

Prothane part # 19-429

JCW SKU# ZX888039N

My 2k3 Chevy | Nebraska Region SCCA
Sunday, March 20, 2005 9:36 PM
DUDE! THANKS!

i was debating emailing you.... but i figured someone would see it sooner or later

Quote:

The endlinks were easy as pie and Im not even gonna talk about the c-arms.

i have the c arm bushings from prothane and by the looks of steve cote's post http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=46&i=94922&t=94922 they don't look all that horrible to do... although not easy either

THANKS TONS!

gc's, koni's, new front mounts, c-arm bushings, and GM front strut tower bar coming this week

i need to order the d bushings, endlink bushings, addco rear sway, and a rear strut tower bar and i'll be all set in the suspension category

thanks again

Sunday, March 20, 2005 9:45 PM
hey do you happen to have torque specs for any of the bolts in the suspension???

thanks

Sunday, March 20, 2005 10:14 PM
None of the bolts were super lock down tight. I dont know the torque specs but I just did as good as a ½ inch drive can get them with good force. I autoxed today and nothing came apart so I dunno if that tells you anything!

We had no trouble removing or installing the old bushings in the c-arms due to the fact my good partner in automobile molestation Roberts father has an arbor press in his garage..

The part missing from his post are that getting the round "O" on the c-arms free from the spot them mount in the car isnt easy. It helps to know you can slide them twoard the outside of the car to ease removal. Also cursing at them and having at least 2 people watch you seems to help.

Now it not being easy to get them out with rubber bushings in think of trying to install them with larger, stiffer poly bushings in.

My 2k3 Chevy | Nebraska Region SCCA
Sunday, March 20, 2005 10:27 PM
lol, thanks again

Monday, April 04, 2005 10:04 PM
Just a few more bits of information on things I came across in my install and having to adjust some things for anyone who may undertake this in the future.

Put the swaybar D bushings in so the opening faces the front of the car! I still need to flip mine the other way.

Realize when you are pressing the round bushing in the c-arm that there is a smooth side and a sharp side. Press it in from the smooth side or this will happen.

When installing the a-arms if you put the part with the bushing pictured above towards the center of the car from where it goes then hit the ball joint end of a-arm with a hammer toward the car. This will naturally seat the other busing and help get the big one closer to where it needs to be. When it gets close to fit a flat screwdriver into the center shank of the big bushing you can use a screwdriver to line it up the rest of the way.

When tightening the endlink use a jack to raise the c-arm and then tighten them down. This will help you to avoid leaving a gap between the new endlink bushings and the swaybar which can result in strange steering input when going over bumps.

These are just the problems I had and I am posting them in the hopes someone else can benefit from my mistakes.

Click my sig for Cardomain site | Nebraska Region SCCA
Tuesday, August 22, 2006 11:48 PM
sorry to bring this back fromthe dead i think but wat is the part number for the energy suspension sway bar end links for the stock sway bar? thanks if you can also just pm me the part number or something thanks!

Saturday, September 08, 2007 12:18 PM
just for those searching the forum first....
I first bought the energy suspension 9.8117R kit but it was too long to replace the stock set. so I took it back to Autozone and bought the energy suspension 9.8120R performance sway bar complete end link set to replace my stock OEM front sway bar end links & bolt. my bolts were rusted and had to cut the plastic spacer to get the bolt out.

most of the stock bolts, bushings, spacers

passenger side bolt

driver side bolt

finished product

Monday, September 10, 2007 8:42 AM
Looks good. I need to do this when I swap over to winter wheels.

Dan Trump

2004 Cavalier LS Sport - Victory Red
Saturday, September 22, 2007 2:05 PM
Note: The spacing between the bushings is 3/4". I bought 9.8120 and it should be 9.8122 from Summit. I have to cut the sleeves

Just an FYI.

Dan Trump

2004 Cavalier LS Sport - Victory Red

Monday, June 23, 2008 10:46 AM
s1lver_N1p wrote:just for those searching the forum first....
I first bought the energy suspension 9.8117R kit but it was too long to replace the stock set. so I took it back to Autozone and bought the energy suspension 9.8120R performance sway bar complete end link set to replace my stock OEM front sway bar end links & bolt. my bolts were rusted and had to cut the plastic spacer to get the bolt out.

most of the stock bolts, bushings, spacers

passenger side bolt

driver side bolt

finished product

Talk about bringing an old post back from the dead.

So is the 9.8120R the proper part number for say a 00 GT w/FE2 front suspension that needs endlinks? Also can someone explain what "4door5gears" was saying above. Is 9.8120 the right part number or 9.8122?

Regards
Monday, June 23, 2008 6:21 PM
NeoJuice wrote:
s1lver_N1p wrote:just for those searching the forum first....

Talk about bringing an old post back from the dead.

So is the 9.8120R the proper part number for say a 00 GT w/FE2 front suspension that needs endlinks? Also can someone explain what "4door5gears" was saying above. Is 9.8120 the right part number or 9.8122?

Regards

if you go to parts store 9.8120R is. don't see them on Summit anymore.

Monday, June 23, 2008 8:20 PM
s1lver_N1p

Thanks for the reply to the post. Good to see you reply to your own post. Thanks ill pick them up tomorrow.
Tuesday, June 24, 2008 8:03 AM
NeoJuice wrote:s1lver_N1p

Thanks for the reply to the post. Good to see you reply to your own post. Thanks ill pick them up tomorrow.

yw. you wanted confirmation and i restated it.

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 9:32 AM

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 7:13 AM
s1lver_N1p (S-m62) wrote:

Do you know the part number for the sway bar "D" bushings from energy suspension? I have FE2 suspension which I think is the 22mm front sway bar. Do you have to drop the front cross member in order to replace the "D" bushings?

Regards,
Wednesday, June 25, 2008 9:19 AM
NeoJuice wrote:
s1lver_N1p (S-m62) wrote:

Do you know the part number for the sway bar "D" bushings from energy suspension? I have FE2 suspension which I think is the 22mm front sway bar. Do you have to drop the front cross member in order to replace the "D" bushings?

Regards,

that i do not. didn't replace mine. yes you will need to drop the cross member for easier access.

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 9:28 AM
Yup, you do.
The subframe will need to be dropped just enough to get access to the bolts that hold in the D bushings.
It's not like you've got to completely remove the subframe but do loosen it enough to be able to get easier access to the D bushings.
Good luck.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 5:54 PM
I picked up my endlinks today. The middle sleeve looks way to long then the stock spacer. I took a look in my wheel well at the parts store. Are you sure it's not the 9.8122 which is the 1" sleeve instead of the 1 5/8" sleeve? I'm going to take pictures tonight to show you. I have FE2 suspension. Here is your picture.

It looks like with the 9.8120 (1-5/8") that it would be to long and push the sway bar up way to high. I'll post pics later on tonight. I'll also measure the stock sleeve. Unless I'm wrong.

s1lver_N1p

please verify.
Wednesday, June 25, 2008 9:46 PM
Here is what I found out tonight. As far as I can see I need the 9.8122 kit for my FE2 suspension as measuring my sway bar end links it being at 1" for the spacer/sleeve. Can someone verify? 9.8120 is the wrong part number for my car. I need 9.8122 which is the 1" kit.

Here is what I bought tonight. I think it's the wrong part number. I need the 1"

Regards,

Thursday, June 26, 2008 7:15 AM
Bump
Friday, June 27, 2008 9:35 AM
I took back the 9.8120 and traded them in for the 9.8122 which is the 1" kit. That should be the right one by the measurement of the spacer in the picture above.
Thursday, August 14, 2008 10:05 AM
NeoJuice wrote:I took back the 9.8120 and traded them in for the 9.8122 which is the 1" kit. That should be the right one by the measurement of the spacer in the picture above.
You get this installed yet?

11 speaker JL Audio stereo setup for sale:
http://www.j-body.org/classifieds/audio/52021/

Thursday, August 14, 2008 10:26 AM
really good info here. I am gonna check it out this weekend and hopefully get it together

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search