strut tool? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
strut tool?
Tuesday, March 22, 2005 5:49 PM
hey guys,

i jsut got some KYB Agx's and H&R lowering springs, i need to remove the old struts and nab the boot an rubber surround of them to bring them down to the local shop so i can get the spring compressed onto the struts, t his will be my fist time installing suspension. I have heard a horror story about the tope strut nut, and needing a special socket? Is this true, and if so where can i get this? If not what are the recomended tool i owuld need to complete this project as a whole?

Re: strut tool?
Tuesday, March 22, 2005 5:56 PM
theres a tool yes... or u can use air tools. The rear is possible to get off with 2 wrenches and some muscle. But the fronts need the "tool" or air... Up to you wether u do it or find a shop. I had a friend with some air tho and it worked wonders. You will love your setup so get it on!

-----------------------------------------------------

98' Pontiac Sunfire SE

Tuesday, March 22, 2005 6:00 PM
any idea where to get the tool?

Tuesday, March 22, 2005 6:06 PM
id start at a kragen or autozone... other then that someone else will need to throw you an answer

-----------------------------------------------------

98' Pontiac Sunfire SE

Tuesday, March 22, 2005 11:42 PM
Don't call Kragen they''l tell you they have it to only find they don't know the difference between a J Body an a W Body.

03 Cavalier LS
Ecotec 5 Speed
Wednesday, March 23, 2005 4:56 AM
rent the spring compressor from autozone, i don't know kragens. you can get yourself a cheap ($50) electric impact wrench an use that. its handy for doing tire rotation too. just don't rely on it for the correct torque for the nuts/bolts either. if you do not have one or don't have a friend you can borrow one from get a torque wrench. its the only way you will know for sure how tight the bolts are, no guessing with your suspension it keeps you on the road.

if you look at my how to for the konis you will get a feel for what your getting into, just don't get discouraged the Konis are a whole different install, but it will give you an idea of what your looking at before you start, something i wish i had.

something about the AGX install, make sure you received the washers for filling in the space at the top of the strut when you mount them up. i just posted this for someone else theres a neat trick for removing the top nut it works allot of the time give the top nut on the front a good half turn before you remove anything on that side from the car.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search