Q; drill bit size 4 tap? make a rear tie bar - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Q; drill bit size 4 tap? make a rear tie bar
Monday, March 21, 2005 7:33 PM
I'm trying to plan ahead and get everything so that i can make my own rear tie bar. how do you choose the proper size drill bit for using a tap in for threading. IE i have tap for 1/2 inch with a 20NF thread.

I just got a tap set (used) and there is no book or anything, it appears to be in good condition, yard sales are great things some times.

some of the tap/dies have a NC NS NF and NPT i have no idea what these are in reference to, I assume it has something to do with the thread size/pitch, is that right? and how do buy my rod ends so that i know that i will have a tap to match, i most likely have to order them sight unseen.

TIA

Re: Q; drill bit size 4 tap? make a rear tie bar
Tuesday, March 22, 2005 7:05 AM
i honestly suggest against making a rear tie bar.....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -
Tuesday, March 22, 2005 7:48 AM
^^^WHY?^^^ Why do you sugest against it??? I wanna make one for my car too this spring.
Tuesday, March 22, 2005 8:14 AM
Well,
Most rod ends are gonna be left or right handed FINE thread.

So your tap is gonna have to be a fine thread tap. One for left hand one for right hand thread.

The bolts threaded portion of the bolts you have choices.
But....
The 'eye' portion of the link will be 3/8". That's what your RK rear sway end link bolt thickness is.

So, that leaves you with either a 3/8" fine thread you have to tap. So you can get 3/8" thread 3/8" eye bolt heim links.

Of course, you can forego all of that, and just get the 2 heim links and a proper length premade bar somewhere.

-M

Remember....syringes go in the RED waste basket.
Tuesday, March 22, 2005 9:30 AM
i personally think you have a high risk of snapping it since the bar has to move in quite a few directions, but at the same time even if it works perfect, i think you are going to have HORRIBLE oversteer and you're going to slide the rear end around super easily, and could very well crash.

- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -
Tuesday, March 22, 2005 9:30 AM
i do have the taps, and a place to get the heim ends thats no trouble at all. the question is how do you know what size drill bit to use to make the hole to tap. i found a few things out on "ask Jeeves" google got me all the tap and die sets one could ever want to buy. URL=http://www.newmantools.com/]newman tools[/URL] has some good info and lots of it. all i have to figure is the length the bar needs to be.
i may end up having the bar itself made to spec guessing if i take the distance between the the two end-links. then get 50-60 % of each heim end and take that from the bar. does that sound sound?

Tuesday, March 22, 2005 9:37 PM
for a 1/2-20 tap you drill the hole 29/64. Or just go to this site and click on the size that you need

tap drill chart

To break a 1/2-20 down for you the 1/2 stands for the diameter and the 20 stands for how many threads per inch (T.P.I)

NC-Nominal course
NF- Nominal fine<----that is what you should be using
NPT- Nominal Pipe tap

Hope that helps out

If your interested in custom aluminum tilt wheel levers hit me up!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search