Tein, RK, or GC? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Tein, RK, or GC?
Monday, March 21, 2005 7:04 PM
Hey guys, my suspension is falling apart due to a poor spring install job by an un-named shop. I am looking to go from the sprint drop springs to full coilover. What, in your opinion, is the best? My personal preferance is TEIN, but I have herd that the RK Sport system is alsoa good system. What I am looking for is a bolt up system (knocks the Koni's out of the game) for around $1200 for show and cruising in. I am trying to figure out which handles the best that meets all other criteria. I am planning on upgrading the Anti Sway Bars, getting upper and lower strut tower braces, and adding a k-member brace. Thanks in advance guys.

Building other peoples cars with other peoples money is fun!

Re: Tein, RK, or GC?
Monday, March 21, 2005 7:47 PM
if your going to even think about coil-overs then your gonna want to got Koni, its not all that hard to do. nerve wracking yes but not as hard as it appears. you only have strut tower braces there are non on the bottom towers that is. thats what the k-brace/sub-frame brace is for.

I once got the advise that "you can't go wrong with Koni" I have never looked back. you have to decide what you want out of your car in terms of performance, style, or comfort. i think the GC/Koni setup is the best of both worlds, however its not for everyone. like me I went pro-kit for the sole reason that my back would probably hate me if i didn't.

good luck with what ever you decide

Monday, March 21, 2005 10:53 PM
remember, you get what you pay for.

Tuesday, March 22, 2005 5:40 AM
Well without the Koni's, you've eliminated the two decent sleeve kits on the market since I wouldn't recommend either without Konis.

So that leaves the RK ProStreets or the TEIN's. There are people around who seem to like either so basically, take your pick.

I believe the TEIN's come with adjustable dampers, don't they?

Tuesday, March 22, 2005 7:41 AM
I don't think the TEIN's have damping adjustability. It doesn't say anything about it.

Quote:

TEIN Type BASIC damper is for the driver that is seeking high performance with a reasonable price, which includes 4 springs and 4 shocks. This suspension is capable of lowering the car 2.5" in the front and 2.4" in the rear. Manufacture defects are warranted for one (1) year and subject to approval by Tein. Compared to the "sleeve type" coil over, the Type Basic has a more exclusive set up for a better balance of suspension travel and damping force. * High performance and cost effective. * Ride Height adjustable. * New paint coating for rust prevention. * Pillow ball mounts are optional (on certain applications). * Exclusive design for USA vehicle specifications. (only available for the U.S.A Market). * Available for overhaul. Contents of damper kit Height Adjustable shock absorber x4, Main spring x4 Lower spring seat x4, Seat lock x4, Thrust washer x4 Bump rubber x4, Dust cover x4 Hook spanner x2, Instruction manual

My Sunbird.... Still has some attitude
Tuesday, March 22, 2005 7:44 AM
Crap forgot to add that I have the RK prostreets and they are a great coilover system.
Installed them this past weekend and I love them. A bit harsher ride than stock but on smooth roads theres no difference. I was allways interested in the Koni/GC setup but preferred the one piece RK setup.

My Sunbird.... Still has some attitude
Tuesday, March 22, 2005 8:10 AM
the TEIN Basic Damper doesn't have ajustability but the other set of dampers they have coming out for our cars will be ajustable

Tuesday, March 22, 2005 8:16 AM
Either is a good just matter of what you want. With Ground Control you can get custom spring rate and with koni you get adjustability of the dampers.

The most expensive is Mantapart. Those are just awesome (just throwing that in there) they use Bilstien self adjusting struts.

2004 Grand Prix GTP (Competition Group)
SOLD-->1999 Z24 5M-#30 to register on JBO
"You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all the people'
all the time

Tuesday, March 22, 2005 8:34 AM
from my friend told me the rk prostreet is a little softer than the teins basic

also gravana tuning is running a g/p if he gets 25 people for a fully adjustable , you might want to look into that also

those are the only 3 full coil overs i know of , all the others are just sleeves

Tuesday, March 22, 2005 11:09 AM
Yeah, those ones Gravana are working on look like they'll be a great option!!

I'd just like some details on the components.

Tuesday, March 22, 2005 11:21 AM
tein is working on a super street system for our cars
do not know if it will be edfc compatable

Tuesday, March 22, 2005 11:26 AM
silver lightning wrote:Crap forgot to add that I have the RK prostreets and they are a great coilover system.
Installed them this past weekend and I love them. A bit harsher ride than stock but on smooth roads theres no difference. I was allways interested in the Koni/GC setup but preferred the one piece RK setup.

i second that........

Tuesday, March 22, 2005 11:54 AM
sappyL61 wrote:tein is working on a super street system for our cars
do not know if it will be edfc compatable

should know more on that by end of the week , but they have to make the s/s for us first , im not sure if they sold the minimum yet to produce them

Tuesday, March 22, 2005 2:25 PM
So the SS setup by tein is going to be released? Anybody have an idea when? I was looking at the gravana system and it looked pretty solid, but they seem unsure if and when they will release them and no price has been anounced. Perhapse I can hold out until the SS system is released, I like to be able to adjust dampening =) EDFC compatability would be sweet, I have it on my Miata and it is a really handy tool when tuning the suspension in for track and street.

Tuesday, March 22, 2005 6:17 PM
gravanna has the gp up, get in it and make them produce them

-----------------------------------------------------

98' Pontiac Sunfire SE

Tuesday, March 22, 2005 10:03 PM
SS setup is on the way, no word on a definate date. The Basics are nice, I'd recomend them (I have them). I hear good things about the RKs as well.

Wednesday, March 23, 2005 1:38 PM
I talked to Gravana yesterday, they said that they will produce once they get 25 people to say they will buy, then it will be about 1 month to build them. They quoted me $950 ish for a set. I didn't get the spring rate or the amount of travel from them but they do look killer.

Wednesday, March 23, 2005 3:49 PM
im in the same boat right now between rk tein or the new ones.

I like the new ones, but dont know if they will be produced before i really would like them.

The rks have a helper spring which is supposed to help which the teins do not.

Wednesday, March 23, 2005 6:43 PM
I beleive the helper springs are to make the ride smoother.

Wednesday, March 23, 2005 7:24 PM
Go with the Gravana ones we need ppl to buy them so they can come out

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search