RK coil/Koni red questions (Wild Weasel!) - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
RK coil/Koni red questions (Wild Weasel!)
Wednesday, March 23, 2005 5:20 PM
Having a bitch of a time adjusting the reds, no click or anything! Also is + harder, - softer? Dunno. Any tips on adjusting reds I've love to hear, as when I push down I have no clicking or feel when turning what-so-ever.

RK coils, perchs don't lock fully? Seems like the bolt may have some corrorsion on it, preventing movement? I'm kinda a fan on the old 2 perch/key setup now lol. Any idea besides a set of eBay coilovers of where I could get that kind of perch with keys? Or tips to fix what I have?

Last but not least, I dunno if it's the stiff coilovers, or the Konis being adjusted hard, but my god, it handles like mad, though I'm going to need to see a chiropractor with the way it rides, you feel every bump, and not in the best way. I did everything correct install wise and I dunno, BTW this is sitting at a Sportline drop pretty much.

Thanks for any help.

Re: RK coil/Koni red questions (Wild Weasel!)
Wednesday, March 23, 2005 5:54 PM
For the adjustment... I don't think there are any clicks or anything but it should stop when adjusted all the way soft or hard. From there, you then adjust in half-turns to where you want it.

My perches don't really take much effort at all to lock. Have you been really jamming them to tighten them in the past? Is it possible that you over tightened them or cross-threaded them at some point and damaged the threads? For anyone else adjusting them, note that the bolt should never be removed. Removing it just opens you up to the possibility of cross-threading.

Also, regardless of what kind of coilovers you have, make sure you clean them thoroughly before adjusting them. You don't want dirt caught up in the threads under the perches. I always shoot them down well with brake cleaner before adjusting anything.

Finally, for the rough ride... there's a difference between the stiffness of the higher spring rate and the bone-jarring feeling of bottoming out. If you're bottoming out, the only way to "fix" that is to simply ride higher. I found that with my 2k+ mounts and the stock GC setup, it was at about Sportline height when fully raised so if you've got them dropped down a bit, it's entirely likely you've got more than a 2" drop right now which really doesn't leave you with enough suspension travel for everyday driving. That's why I bought the taller springs for mine.

Regardless of the height though, everyone bottoms out sometimes. When you do, the last ditch effort at not jarring everything is the bump stops. If you've got less than 2" bump stops, I encourage you to order some new ones from Ground Control or anyone else that sells them. I didn't have any at all in the front before getting the new ones from GC so I really don't know what it feels like to ride on the stock ones cut the way they recommend. It's still a compromise though so for the $20 or so it will cost you for new ones, you might as well do it.

Hopefully this is somewhat helpful.

Wednesday, March 23, 2005 7:48 PM
So on the strut is + hard and - soft or vice versa? Or point me where I should turn? I want to turn them down all the way to the softest but have no clue which way to turn them. I coulda swore I saw where you posted that when you adjust the reds they click when turning, maybe not.

As for the allen bolts on the perch, I bought these with 5,000 miles used, so what whoever did before me, god knows .

I keep the threads clean, though with carb cleaner, same thing almost, and am going to pick up some bicycle chain lube as I have seen you suggest.

I'm using the 95-99 mounts, and have done the mod per RK Sport instructions. Also they have Energy Suspension bumpstops, but they're only an inch, so yeah .

Thanks again for you help Kevin, I really want to know which way to turn the shaft for soft, which way for hard though.....

Thursday, March 24, 2005 4:09 AM
I'm honestly not sure which way is which but you should be able to see the difference in the speed that the shaft moves back up when you compress it. On full stuff, it barely moves at all. On full soft, you can see it move up.

Thursday, March 24, 2005 5:25 AM
Joe, its Chris........ the rear perches never did really lock all the way, but as long as they are tight enough to prevent you from spinnning them freely then they are tight enough to do their job because obviously the rear dosnt turn in any direction at all. As far as the adjustment goes, look at the rear struts.... the brand new one has the adjustment printed right on the cartridge, it says + ---> an minus - <------ make sense? Not sure if its those directions for sure but take a look. For the perches I SOAKED them in silicone lube spray lube before I wrapped them, I would reccomend using the same but some bicycle lube will probably work also.

On the front perch that is original RKSport you'll only need a quarter turn of the allen to free it up and then use both hands to move the perch then use just that same quarter tuen again to tighten it, other wise getting it to turn isnt fun. I spent about 30 minutes on the thing before I got it to where I was confident that I could sell them to you. just take it easy when playing with them, they are quite sensative.

Let me know if you have any other issues!

CastorTroy24
97Z on the Autobahn
Thursday, March 24, 2005 6:54 AM
I softened the rears all the way just now, counter clockwise=soft thanks to finding another post . One problem, one of the rears leaked a little oil when I had it pushed down adjusting, seem like it had done it before too, so I dunno now.

Still not getting the perches to lock Chris, but thanks for chiming in .

Thursday, March 24, 2005 9:30 AM
Joel, did you happen to have them upside down when you were compressing them to adjust? I know it sounds stupid but when I called koni about the warranty on my blown rear they asked me if I had kept them compressed and upside down........ I just said no, and there wasnt anything else to it. I would say keep an eye on it. If it still leaks when you have it in the straight up and down position then I sold you a blown shock. (or somehow between the time I placed in the box to ship it and the time you noticed it, it developed a leak) If this is the case I will send you the other blown rear that I have so you can have a set of blown ones!! J/k ... seriously though, you can call koni if it still leaks and I will give you this other blown one that I have so you can send them both in and get them replaced if koni will be so kind. Email or call me if it still leaks so we can work something out.

CastorTroy24
97Z on the Autobahn
Thursday, March 24, 2005 10:23 AM
No, it was right-side up . Promise lol. I already have it taken care of I hope. I'll let you know if I don't, it just leaked a bit of oil, and after cleaning off the shaft, compressing it, cleaning it, I continued to get oil.

I'm trying to find some perches to match the blues ones, and hopefully after I get this rear replaced, I'll be all set. Hope the fronts are good still?

Friday, March 25, 2005 1:17 AM
Dammit Joe

Do I need to fly all the way over there to help you. I guess i will start packing. But nice to here you got some konis. cant wait for a ride. See you in June buddy.

Nick

Go Go OG Traction!!
Friday, March 25, 2005 11:43 AM
Yes, Nick is on the .org! Heard you got internet in the tents. Please fly over here to help, lol. Too bad I got it all under control now, rides great. E-mail me back punk, you didn't get my last reply?

James also got some Konis, go us! I just need one rear replaced, but warranty will.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search