Koni yellow installation, not your normal Q!!! - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Koni yellow installation, not your normal Q!!!
Friday, March 25, 2005 3:08 PM
Guys...i need to know if anyone has successfully installed konis into struts OTHER than the oem stockers!!!

I have gabriel VST"s and i dont have my oem ones anymore....can i install the front inserts into these or am i gonna have to dish out the 50 for some blown stockers from the local yard???

Help....ive searched a many of night with no luck. Help!

Re: Koni yellow installation, not your normal Q!!!
Friday, March 25, 2005 3:17 PM
I don't know about those ones but I know people have had problems fitting them into KYB's.

You should be able to get a blown set for free. They're garbage to anyone else. How could someone charge you for them??

Friday, March 25, 2005 4:07 PM
First of all....they have to pull them...they dont let anybody back there to work on cars other than there employees....

Also...the swear that these struts on this 96 cavalier or good....I laughed and said, "i doubt that"....No they r! Anyways....i walked off mad.

I can get them for 40 but i dont wanna spend another dime on the suspension. Someone MUST know....

I know someone has had to of done this!!!! Let me know...

Friday, March 25, 2005 5:48 PM
e-mail Koni and ask them if they have any information on it. you never know, i had a small problem and they got back to me the same day only i didn't know it. it's worth a shot.

Friday, March 25, 2005 5:56 PM
Normally when i e-mail companys i never hear from them. O well....guess i can give it a shot.

Friday, March 25, 2005 6:07 PM
just be real nice Stoney was the guy that helped me out.

Friday, March 25, 2005 8:27 PM
Sorry this is O/T I have a related question,
I have a 03 Cavy, how many years back can I go and still have the shocks be compatible?, I dont want to chop up my OEMs and IM looking for another set, I checked all the local shops in town today without luck and I think my kit is arriving tomorrow
Tomorrow IM going to try the junkyards but not sure exacty what to ask for as I doubt there are many wrecked 03s around in this town.

Friday, March 25, 2005 8:55 PM
All the way back to 95 should be fine.

Friday, March 25, 2005 10:51 PM
Thats kinda lame (the auto yard) there are many out here in Southern California that let you pull your own parts. Maybe call around different wrecking yards too.

03 Cavalier LS
Ecotec 5 Speed
Saturday, March 26, 2005 6:33 AM
Yeah.....the ones here that WILL let you pull parts here...dont have parts! Just junk lol.

O well...I emailed Koni and IF they get back to me....ill let everyone know.

BTW....is my question that dumb? I would have figured its been asked before but i couldnt find anything when i searched.

O well....still open to suggestions.

Sunday, March 27, 2005 7:35 AM
Well, i got an email with NOTHING in it....not a word. Tried to email them again but no response yet....

I know everybody on the .org hasnt installed the konis ALL in oem struts. Someone has had to do it in some aftermarkets (any cheap replacement from autoparts store). I myself have Gabriel VST's.....

I need to get this done. Ive rode around with these yellows on the rear but im still ruff up front, HELP ME!! They have been sitting in the backseat awaiting install for like a month now....

Sunday, March 27, 2005 8:14 AM
i thought the yellows were direct replacements.....not like the reds?
Sunday, March 27, 2005 9:09 AM
kimo wrote:i thought the yellows were direct replacements.....not like the reds?

the only thing different between the two is that the yellows are externally adjustable, that's it

Sunday, March 27, 2005 3:03 PM
yep....both front and rears need some modifying just like the Koni reds!

Sunday, March 27, 2005 4:50 PM
Sorry if this is off topic, but what needs to be modified for the rears to fit? I thought the rears were a direct bolt on and only the fronts needed to be modified.

Bruce
red03ecotec

Sunday, March 27, 2005 5:06 PM
with reds you don't need to do anything, but the yellows you have to modify your mounts the shaft is larger than stock so you have to drill it out to fit.

Sunday, March 27, 2005 5:07 PM
Cinny wrote:with reds you don't need to do anything, but the yellows you have to modify your mounts the shaft is larger than stock so you have to drill it out to fit.

with a drill press and some oil it's super easy

beyond drilling out the stock "sleeve" in the mount you of course will have to install the spring perch for the rears (if you're going with springs not coilovers)

Monday, March 28, 2005 5:18 AM
Hey Redfire, I installed my konis in VST housings. They fit just fine except for a small lip around the Koni insert that I had to grind down. The grinding was so minimal though that was able to use 60 grit sandpaper. Other than that it fit just perfect. Good luck!

CastorTroy24
97Z on the Autobahn
Monday, March 28, 2005 4:13 PM
Dude...THANK YOU SO MUCH..

Thats the response i was LOOKING FOR!!!

I did the rears already...all i had to do is grind down the weld on the perch so i could take it off. Pretty easy...

Guess ill be doing the fronts this weekend!!!

THANKS DUDE!!

Tuesday, March 29, 2005 7:54 PM
i was going to say, just do it, not like you want to keep the gabes..... and if it doesn't then you can just shell out the 40 bucks to the salvage yard

Friday, April 01, 2005 6:21 PM
Doesnt matter now cuz there installed!!! JUST GOT THROUGH>.

The ride is amazing...i love it!!!!

WOOP!

this is why i love the .org...this right here!!

Koni yellows
Goldline springs
energy suspension tie rod boots
rsm rear strut bar
gm front bar

Im diggin it

Saturday, April 02, 2005 9:33 AM
Redfire (red96sunfire1022) wrote:this is why i love the .org...this right here!!

hehehe. Yep... despite all the drama at times, when you can filter out the BS and just have a productive conversation about the cars and technical issues, I don't think you'll beat this place for the quality of information you're getting.

Saturday, April 02, 2005 1:01 PM
You just took the words right out of my mouth!

Saturday, April 02, 2005 3:48 PM
your a rolling testimonial for the yellows, now the next thing on your list should be a rear anti-sway bar. then you'll really be dangerous on the road post up when your ready, glad you luv your ride man. was that enough broken sentences?

Monday, April 11, 2005 6:52 PM
I always have broken sentences. Why...i dont know.

Yeah i was buying the Addco rear sway bar from a friend but i guess im gonna just buy it new. Its gonna be ahwile though. I just bought another J. Its in my registry.... or you can see it here my cardomain page

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search