koni reds - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
koni reds
Monday, March 28, 2005 4:57 PM
i tried looking for a search about how to installl them. I know the fronts are just inserts. How does that work.

Someone told me that thier is welding involed, and some say thier isnt. Can someone please fill me in. Also, the reds are adjustable when off the car?, and how can they be set to a smooth ride, as appose to a rough stiff suspension?.

Re: koni reds
Monday, March 28, 2005 9:09 PM
1. the inserts work like this. take the stock strut, about 1.5 or so inches from the top you use something similar to a pipe cutter or a hacksaw to cut the strut. next you gut the strut, basically leaving a hollow tube for the koni to sit in. next you drill a hole in the bottom of the strut so that when you slide the koni into your now empty strut housing, you have some way of bolting it and keeping it in there.

2. there is no welding involved, welding and struts is a bad idea.

3. the reds are adjustable by turning the strut's shaft. you get them off the car, and just turn it one way or the other to make it softer or more firm.

4. quality ride is different for everyone. sometimes it takes a few tries to get it just right, which is why i would reccomend getting the koni yellows, as you can adjust firmness right at the top of the strut.

Tuesday, March 29, 2005 8:20 AM
MeltdOwn350 aka cOdy wrote:
3. the reds are adjustable by turning the strut's shaft. you get them off the car, and just turn it one way or the other to make it softer or more firm.

You must compress the shaft into the housing to adjust them, counterclockwise=soft, clockwise=firm.

I normally go all the way soft, then 1 rotation towards firm.

Tuesday, March 29, 2005 11:27 AM
thanks joe, i didn't realize you had to compress them in before turning the shaft

Tuesday, March 29, 2005 11:49 AM
That's why you have to remove them from the car to do it.

How you adjust them also depends highly on what springs you're using them with. Since I'm running coilovers with a higher spring rate than most lowering springs, I'm closer to the full-stiff side of things. In fact, I may have them all the way stiff in the back, though it's been so long that I don't remember any more.

Stiffer springs require more damping to keep them under control.

Thursday, March 31, 2005 2:09 PM
Would having them a little closer to softer side hurt the Koni's at all Kevin?

I know when I bought mine he had them set soft with RK coils, and one of my Koni's just had to be warrantied.

I may stiffen them up, because you are right about the damping. I had them on full firm once, and my car felt like it had so suspension give what-so-ever and was slaughtering my back daily.

I installed my new Koni tonight though, and put them full soft, 1 turn towards firm. Now I'm re-evaluating that choice thanks to you !

Thursday, March 31, 2005 3:47 PM
I'm not sure if having them set too soft could hurt them. I suspect it might since they're being basically manhandled around without doing much good... but I really don't know.

With your coilovers though, you should definitely have them closer to the stiff side. Did you change the ride height at the same time you adjusted them? Was the difference ONLY the change in damping?

Basically, the less damping, the more bounce. That's what they do.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search