KYB GR2's with ground control coils? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
KYB GR2's with ground control coils?
Monday, March 28, 2005 7:42 PM
well that's the question, can they be used together? I've been told no and i've been told yes. Can the KYB's handle the 2-2.5 drop of the ground controls?

Re: KYB GR2's with ground control coils?
Monday, March 28, 2005 7:46 PM
the agx's couldnt even handle it and still be under waranty... get the yellows and do it right

-----------------------------------------------------

98' Pontiac Sunfire SE

Monday, March 28, 2005 7:53 PM
They can be used together, however they cannot handle the drop.

GR2 are OEM replacements, not meant for any lowering at all.

Konis or Tokico D specs are your only safe choices.

Monday, March 28, 2005 8:59 PM
I actually have the GR2 struts on my car right now and have had them for a while (about 25,000 miles now). Ride quality is bad when slammed, but even konis will suck at that. I would say if you want to get a great strut without breaking the bank, get the AGX and lower it at max 2inches. If you are just looking for about an inch or so, the GR2 should be fine.
Monday, March 28, 2005 9:04 PM
Robert Armantrout wrote:I actually have the GR2 struts on my car right now and have had them for a while (about 25,000 miles now). Ride quality is bad when slammed, but even konis will suck at that. I would say if you want to get a great strut without breaking the bank, get the AGX and lower it at max 2inches. If you are just looking for about an inch or so, the GR2 should be fine.

it's not so much the lowering that blows struts, it's the spring rates.

coilovers have spring rates that are usually twice the rate of any normal spring, pair that with the valves on oem/oem replacement struts and you have a very bouncy combination

do it right, get konis

Monday, March 28, 2005 9:05 PM
Actually, I now have a question for you guys. I have the Ground Control coilovers for KYB. Would I be able to even use the other companies for the kit (Koni , Tokico)? I always have wondered this and I bought the Ground Controls used from a guy that said to use the KYB brand for them. Please tell me what you know.
Monday, March 28, 2005 9:27 PM
i would contact ground control via email and see exactly what is different

i know first that the strut shafts are different sizes, but beyond that i think someone else or gc would have to answer that for you

Monday, March 28, 2005 11:03 PM
Thanks for the help. I'm getting on that as soon as possible. where is the best place to find the AGX on the net? Also, is it possible to ojly run the AGX on the front and still have the others on the rear? It may sound like a dumb question, but I honestly don't know.............

I'll have a sig someday....................
Tuesday, March 29, 2005 11:49 AM
yeah post when you find out cause ima get the yellows from jason i think it is and hte GC's but i wanna know if they're compatible first

Tuesday, March 29, 2005 3:04 PM
Ok, I talked to the peeps at Ground Control and this is what they said.

Yes the kits are strut specific. However, they sell the parts to retrofit to the konis for 24+ship. They also said that the kit is only needed to retrofit the rear, not the front.

Yes, it is safe to run the adjustable struts on the front and the non-adjaustables in the rear.

With that in mind, the kit for retrofit is cheap and prob. worth it if you have the cash for the Konis. I am trying to save some money for college as of right now and need to get some struts soon. It's between the AGX for around 220 or the Koni for 330. I read reviews on both and they both seem like they do a decent job.

I'll have a sig someday....................
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search