Ground control idea - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Ground control idea
Wednesday, March 30, 2005 2:44 PM
I've been thinking about this lately:

It is possible to order Ground Controls with pretty much any spring rate you want, correct? So, I have this crazy idea that I think may just work. Here it goes:

Order a set of GC's with spring rates only slightly higher than factory spec. Put these on a set of Monroe Sensa-tracs or GR-2's or Suspension Techniques... etc. struts. Drop the front 1/2" and the rear 1" to even out the stance. That way, I would have a nice, comfortable suspension that's not as squishy as a stock setup, but not as hard as lowering springs with lowering struts. It would also look good, but not be too low (which is a problem when you live in the mountains )

So anyway, does anyone else think this is a good idea, and what would it cost to custom-order a set of GC's?

Re: Ground control idea
Wednesday, March 30, 2005 2:58 PM
Are there any bears where you live ?
Wednesday, March 30, 2005 7:35 PM
Why not just order a set with a spring rate of like 150f/120r and throw some AGX's on there?

To be willing to spend like 450 on coilovers and not an extra 100 on shocks seems kinda strange to me.

Thursday, March 31, 2005 8:52 AM
I don't think you can get them in rates that low due to the diameter of the springs.

Using the exact same metal and coil spacing, making the spring larger in diameter will lower the spring rate due to the additional leverage you get.

If you tried to reproduce that low a spring rate with such a small diameter spring, you'd likely have to raise up the car in order to have any suspension travel without just binding up the coils.

Thursday, March 31, 2005 8:58 AM
^^^^^ You should listen to Weasel, One of the smartest & most intelligent guys on the org.

~*Gilles*~

Thursday, March 31, 2005 9:08 AM
2o3cavi wrote:^^^^^ You should listen to Weasel, One of the smartest & most intelligent guys on the org.

~*Gilles*~

Hmm... you want something, don't you...

Not that smart. I've just been around here long enough to learn a whole lot about a whole lot.

Thursday, March 31, 2005 9:12 AM
^^^^ hahaha no no you help me so many times its not even funny and everytime u help me you were right so thats why i have alot of confidence in what you say. Thanks

~*Gilles*~

Thursday, March 31, 2005 9:26 AM
eh, ok. I'll probably just end up re-buying AGX's and Pro-kits... the ride wasn't that bad, I guess

Thanks for all the help

Thursday, March 31, 2005 9:55 AM
Wild Weasel wrote:I don't think you can get them in rates that low due to the diameter of the springs.

Using the exact same metal and coil spacing, making the spring larger in diameter will lower the spring rate due to the additional leverage you get.

If you tried to reproduce that low a spring rate with such a small diameter spring, you'd likely have to raise up the car in order to have any suspension travel without just binding up the coils.

Didn't think about that. Good point weasel.

Thursday, March 31, 2005 4:06 PM
A spring rate that low would indeed fully compress those springs.

LIke the helper springs on my old Weapon-Rs were fully compressed under normal conditions. They only extended when the car wanted to roll in turns. I want to say that they were 100lbs spring rate.

I am all that is man

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search