Our upgraded suspension vs other car's - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Our upgraded suspension vs other car's
Tuesday, March 29, 2005 1:57 PM
How does our handling compare to other good handling cars out there when we upgrade it with sway bars, strut bars, shocks and springs ?

I know our chassis basically sucks since it's so old, but does the upgraded suspension make up for it or are we still far from a good integra type r or mazdaspeed suspension ?

Re: Our upgraded suspension vs other car's
Tuesday, March 29, 2005 4:12 PM
I actually have had lots of success with my suspension. The ITR is much better, especially tuned. However, with suspension tuning and some engine upgrades for the Ecotec, you should be able to hang with one for a while if it is bone-stock in the engine category. Don't count out the J totally, it is a decent handler. A well-tuned Miata is much better than the J. Never ran against a Mazdaspeed car, but I am sure they are pretty stout.

I'll have a sig someday....................
Tuesday, March 29, 2005 4:20 PM
all i have is koni reds and goldlines with 225/18 tires no sway bars or any other suspension upgrades. My car handles way better than most ive been in.

**TEAM GMCI**

http://www.cardomain.com/id/hotsaus_2k1
Tuesday, March 29, 2005 4:43 PM
You should handle pretty good but the integra type r handles better(we are kinda fat). I have found that turn in on our cars is actually pretty good though which can be a nice advantage on some courses.

If your unsure about dropping lots of money into your suspension try adding just a rear sway bar. Those usually run about $150. I like the Addco bar myself, but just about any bar will do. The addco is 26mm. I think it makes a nice compliment to my 18mm bar up front. Check my registry for the rest of my suspension upgrades. Right now the car has a slight oversteer without the tie bar on.

I think once you add the sway bar you will find the car much more fun to drive. If you add springs, shocks, strut braces, etc. you will not be disappointed but don't expect to be the fastest car on the track. We are just too underpowered for our weight. This doesn't mean you won't be competitive in competition though. Remember, a good set of tires can make all the difference.

Tuesday, March 29, 2005 4:45 PM
225/18's are not a good upgrade if you ask me though. Stay at 16" or below wheels. 17" and up add considerable weight to your rotational mass.

Tuesday, March 29, 2005 5:36 PM
After my suspension mods I need to recognize that OEM j-body plataform really sucks in turn in performance, but with some mods it performs really good. Many people that have drive my car, obtain a great impression. I am talking about people that drives heavy modified Mustangs, Toyota Supra, Porsches, BMWs, Corvettes and others.

ELIOT. Now.....boosted.

Tuesday, March 29, 2005 6:37 PM
Zach, I chose the Arashi's not only for style, but also for their weight. They are only 19 lbs each while most other 17's are in the mid 20's. As for tires, it is my understanding that more contact patch will allow better handling, thus why I chose 225 grade tires

Tuesday, March 29, 2005 7:07 PM
Quote:

Zach
If your unsure about dropping lots of money into your suspension try adding just a rear sway bar. Those usually run about $150. I like the Addco bar myself, but just about any bar will do. The addco is 26mm. I think it makes a nice compliment to my 18mm bar up front. Check my registry for the rest of my suspension upgrades. Right now the car has a slight oversteer without the tie bar on.

this is a great first step. it is a very pronounced change in your cars handling. i have almost the same set up that Zach has, very nice match indeed, neutral to mild oversteer.

Wednesday, March 30, 2005 6:38 PM
Speaking of this.... The other day I was heading to my shop for an alignment while I was following my dad. Now he has a 2004 Corvette, bone stock suspension (Z51). We were heading around this corner on an offramp to get onto another highway and I was staying with him, both at relatively 62 MPH. He told me he was about to break loose and so was I. I was very happy as before I couldn't take that turn any more than 55, even then I was really really pushing it, but I want to out perform him in handling.

But just yesterday he bought some Bilsteins, Hotchkis, new wheels and tires, brakes, rotors, the whole kit and caboodle.

Oh, I have RK's Prostreets and Eibach Sway Bars, front and rear. Just bought a front strut mount tonight and some other stuff.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search