Drop the fire! - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Drop the fire!
Wednesday, March 30, 2005 6:16 AM
Are there any lowering springs that are acceptable to put on stock \ oem struts? I just bought a new set of monroes like 2 months ago ( before I found this forum ) and don't really want to go out an buy a new set until at least I wear these down a bit...

It is a height issue that makes a difference? I.e. If i only drop it like 1.1" as opposed to 1.7" would that have less of an impact on my struts?

Re: Drop the fire!
Wednesday, March 30, 2005 6:32 AM
Your best bet is probably the Eibach Sportlines. The Monroes will probably hold up ok with them for a while. When the ride starts getting bouncy though (and it will) then it's time to replace them. Might be a few months. Might be a few days. Can't really say.

Wednesday, March 30, 2005 6:54 AM
So basically its not worth it... Got you... Well, I snapped a spring and need something in there other than a block of wood! Anyone know where to get a good set of OEM springs that don't cost $180.00 (Local price for OEM)

Seems pretty ridiculous to pay $180.00 for stock when you can get a near 2" drop for $20 bucks more. Of course I could have to get some Konis but that is besides the point...

Also, Anyone had experience with the Monroe Sensitraks? Are they any better then the stock ride ore is it just to name to suck more money?
Wednesday, March 30, 2005 9:28 AM
go to the junk yard, pick n pull... and yank one out for cheap

-----------------------------------------------------

98' Pontiac Sunfire SE

Wednesday, March 30, 2005 10:14 AM
If you want a nice set of springs for about the same price as the stock ones, I would get the tein igh tech springs. A modest drop, a high quality spring, and it should hold up for quite a while on sotck suspension. That's what I would suggest. For a little more, you could get Eibach Pro-Kits which are a very nice spring as well. I am a persoanl fan of Eibach for the J (have the Ground Control Coilovers) but Tein makes a great product as well.

I'll have a sig someday....................
Wednesday, March 30, 2005 10:22 AM
high tech springs.... Bad spelling

Wednesday, March 30, 2005 11:04 AM
That is what I was thinking too, only dropping it 1.1" or so, but then everyone else freaks out and I get the classic "Don't drop on stock" message. I'm not sure what to do... I called around to a few yards, but even pulling my own springs they are like $35 a peice for used springs... Just don't seem right!
Wednesday, March 30, 2005 11:21 AM
You should easily be able to find a set of used springs for well under $100.

For $100 USD you could have mine in a heartbeat if it weren't such a hassle to ship them.

I'm sure there's plenty of people around with their stock springs just waiting for a buyer.

Wednesday, March 30, 2005 11:34 AM
Seriously, the High tech springs drop 1.1" (which is what you want) and they will not seriously affect ride quality. It might fell slightly stiffer, but it won't "blow the struts" or "ride harsh". These should be safe for the stock struts and shocks. It will look better, handle better, and ride more like a sport compact car. Isn't that the ultimate goal????

Wednesday, March 30, 2005 11:41 AM
Alright... I'll try posting something in the classified section see if anyone bites... BTW: Would anyone see a problem with sandblasting springs? Would that degrade the quality of them at all?
Wednesday, March 30, 2005 11:55 AM
You could also try suspension techniques 1.2" drop srings. A small drop but they are also not progressive rate springs and have the same approximate spring rate as stock springs. I've been on them for several thousand miles with stock shocks/struts and the ride is comparable to stock, even with 17 inch wheels and 45 series tires. You can get them for about $200. I also still have my stock springs and might be willing to sell them. If your interested, email me and let me know how much you'd be willing to pay.

Wednesday, March 30, 2005 11:59 AM
Jim has the High-tech springs at Gravanatuning.com for 179.99 if you want them. That's a pretty good deal given that high-techs are usually around Eibach Prokit price..........

Wednesday, March 30, 2005 1:08 PM
I think I will just stay with the stock springs for the time being. I will save up for a Koni Red and Ground Control Setup maybe late summer or early next year... Sounds like a better option that risk having my stock springs blow every couple thousand miles.

Considering this is my daily driver, I don't think I want to risk it at this point...
Thursday, March 31, 2005 7:48 AM
Does sandblasting coil springs degrade the quality at all? Has anyone done this?
Thursday, March 31, 2005 8:47 AM
Darrell Mammenga wrote:Does sandblasting coil springs degrade the quality at all? Has anyone done this?

I don't imagine so, as long as you don't go buck wild with them.

Are you planning on having them powdercoated again? If not, I wouldn't recommend you sand blast them. Paint will likely just flake off as the springs flex.

Thursday, March 31, 2005 8:55 AM
Yeah, I was thinking of having them powder coated. I just can't stand having those rusted, nasty springs on my car...

I was thinking of maybe some of that liquid rubber stuff might work to. That liquid that people sometimes dip tool handle in to for added grip. That seals well too...
Thursday, March 31, 2005 9:14 AM
That's an interesting idea. Coils do bind together at times though so I wonder how well that would stand up in those areas.

Of course, the powdercoating wears off there as well so it's probably no big deal. I'd be interested in hearing how this works out if you do it!

Thursday, March 31, 2005 9:52 AM
Wild Weasel wrote:That's an interesting idea. Coils do bind together at times though so I wonder how well that would stand up in those areas.

Of course, the powdercoating wears off there as well so it's probably no big deal. I'd be interested in hearing how this works out if you do it!

Ohh! I know, Summit Racing sells this rust converter stuff... I could sand blast it and cover them in that metal sealant crap that comes with it. That stuff is like steel. You can't even scrap it off with a screwdriver!

Not sure how that would look though...
Thursday, March 31, 2005 10:03 AM
Darrell Mammenga wrote:
Wild Weasel wrote:That's an interesting idea. Coils do bind together at times though so I wonder how well that would stand up in those areas.

Ohh! I know, Summit Racing sells this rust converter stuff... I could sand blast it and cover them in that metal sealant crap that comes with it. That stuff is like steel. You can't even scrap it off with a screwdriver!

Not sure how that would look though...

Right... but how does it react when the metal it's attached to is constantly flexing and unflexing?

Thursday, March 31, 2005 12:27 PM
I would imagine that it would hold up at least mildly well, I used to have an 84' Monte Carlo that I used this stuff on the quarter panels and door skins and it held up really well...

Ahhh too many things to try! I think I will try this rust converter stuff. That sounds like it would work... We'll see though...
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search