do you need struts to lower 1.1-1.4 inches? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
do you need struts to lower 1.1-1.4 inches?
Wednesday, March 30, 2005 5:35 PM
As the subject states do i need aftermarket struts right off the bat to lower to 1.1 or 1.4 inches? I heard somewhere that struts where not necessary unless you was lowering past 1.4, is this true??

Re: do you need struts to lower 1.1-1.4 inches?
Wednesday, March 30, 2005 5:52 PM
Personaly I think its OK. BUt many will argue this.

Many people are driving on blown struts already with stock springs.

I am all that is man

Wednesday, March 30, 2005 6:12 PM
You can do it, but the ride will suck. Especially if you have anyone in the back seat. The rear struts are usually the first to go or at least the first to be noticed. I drove for 3 weeks on the factory struts, but in my rear Konis, but left the front factory struts in for almost 2 years before finally getting around to getting them installed.

Wednesday, March 30, 2005 6:25 PM
what about coilovers?
Wednesday, March 30, 2005 7:20 PM
No not coilovers. THe spring rate is to high even if you have the coilovers set at stock height.

I am all that is man

Wednesday, March 30, 2005 7:31 PM
I wouldn't lower on stock struts. You would be fine with a 1.4" or less drop on KYB GR-2's or some other aftermarket shock/strut.

What are you planning to do with the car? If you want to do any kind of autocross or something you should really use an adjustable strut like KYB AGX's. If your just doing it to make the car more appealing to the ladies you should be fine with GR-2's.

Wednesday, March 30, 2005 8:31 PM
^^^^ no because the gr2's are meant for stock springs only and so not very appealing to the ladies.

Wednesday, March 30, 2005 8:43 PM
Read the suspension FAQ. Pleanty of people have had problem free drops on GR-2 that were less than 1.5". The GR-2's carry a warranty to a 1.5" drop.

Thursday, March 31, 2005 5:10 AM
You're thinking of the kyb-agx's. Here's what the FAQ YOU pointed me to says:

"OEM REPLACEMENT struts, are just as that. OEM STYLE replacement struts. Sure some say, valved stiffer etc, but when it boils down to it, they are not valved for lowering. Many have argued that KYB are not oem replacement struts, but if you take a few minutes out of your day and contact KYB AMERICA by phone, they themselves, will tell you that they WILL NOT honor the warranty these struts if on a lowered vehicle. So much for the ability of them to be lowered. Granted some do and have lowered on them for a while, don’t be shocked if yours don’t last long. Generally a strut should last well up to 5 years or more if not abused. But choosing a strut from this category and lowering past 1.5 inches or so, and you are definitely chancing it. If it does blow before time, then that’s more money to spend on new struts, alignment (you will need an alignment after every major suspension component change), and time wasted changing them, or time and money wasted for a shop to do so. These however have proved to be good for springs like the 1.2 inch lowering springs by progressive technologies and stracing. Anything more than that and you are chancing it.

A list of all the OEM style replacement are:

-KYB Gr2’s
-Gabriel VST’s
-Monroe (Sensatracs included)
-GM stock or upgraded suspension packages."

Thursday, March 31, 2005 7:09 AM
GR-2 do not carry a warranty on them. I have e-mail KYB on more than one occassion with that same question. Each time was no. Not everyone had good experiences even at 1.5" The thing is some people get use to the ride till they get better struts then they realize the ride was not all that.
As said some people will argue for and against. I personally if i mod another car will not lower with out some aftermarket struts.

2004 Grand Prix GTP (Competition Group)
SOLD-->1999 Z24 5M-#30 to register on JBO
"You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all the people'
all the time

Thursday, March 31, 2005 7:13 AM
any lowering on stock struts is bad. for any lowering 1.5 inches or less get the KYB AGX shocks. they have a warrenty up to 1.5 inch drop. anything greater than 1.5 get koni yellows

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!

Thursday, March 31, 2005 4:09 PM
The GR2 will work fine. In all actuality, you should be able to use pro-kits or High-techs with your stock struts. Yes, it will ride harder than stock, but no aftermarket is as cushy as stock. At least, noen that I have seen yet. Maybe the new gravana coilovers or the tein system would, but I doubt it. Tein springs are high quality and will ride as close to stock as possible (according to them). Go with those.

I'll have a sig someday....................
Thursday, March 31, 2005 4:32 PM
they would work for a 1.2 or less... and yes there NO waranty

-----------------------------------------------------

98' Pontiac Sunfire SE

Thursday, March 31, 2005 5:21 PM
I am looking at AGXs but can't decide on Suspension Tech 1.2in drop or the Tein 1.1in drop.
So with any type of drop you will want lowering struts as well. If not you'll have a bouncy and unsafe ride.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Thursday, March 31, 2005 9:04 PM
well im getting the GR2's with the tein 1.1 inch drop springs. There is a warrenty on them acorrding to the site, i emailed them and still waiting for the reply. Here is the link to the site. http://www.kyb.com/service/warranty.php
Saturday, April 02, 2005 1:46 PM
When you get a chance, can you please post some pics of it?^^^

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search