Performance suspension w/out dropping - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Performance suspension w/out dropping
Tuesday, April 05, 2005 10:52 AM
I am looking for a coil-over that doesn't drop my car. Also not sure about spring rate. I would like a suspension that is slightly stiff, without any bounce. I was looking at A-spec and Drop zone coil overs. Is there anything you all could tell me about them, or if there is a better brand that does not lower vehicle and is slightly stiffer than the norm?

Re: Performance suspension w/out dropping
Tuesday, April 05, 2005 11:13 AM
Garbage. Don't get that crap.

You're going to have to spend some money if you want higher performance. Those crappy coilover kits have nothing to do with performance. They're a ghetto way to drop the ride height so you can act all pimp while you bounce down the road.

You want pretty much exactly what I've got. I'm riding at stock height with nice stiff springs and no bounce.

Ground Control coilovers with custom springs and Koni dampers. That'll do it for you.

Tuesday, April 05, 2005 11:32 AM
^ Exactly. If you can live with a 1" drop (which is barely noticable) you won't need custom GC springs.

Tuesday, April 05, 2005 11:58 AM
YOu can get Ground control with longer springs and custom spring rate and use Koni's with it.

2004 Grand Prix GTP (Competition Group)
SOLD-->1999 Z24 5M-#30 to register on JBO
"You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all the people'
all the time

Tuesday, April 05, 2005 12:03 PM
Sounds good. Is this the right one?

http://www.highrevmotorsports.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=27_54_56&products_id=108

Also what about Weapon-R coil overs? They seem interesting, and people say they are pretty stiff. Actually complain, but I prefer stiff.
Tuesday, April 05, 2005 12:32 PM
Look at my Koni Install post, you will see for 600 bucks you will get a set of Koni Yellows and a little bit of drop but not really a noticable one (it will ride 10x better and corner awesome).

Tuesday, April 05, 2005 12:51 PM
The Koni sport suspension kit says it's 1.8" drop. Is this correct? I only want a 0.5" drop at the most.
Tuesday, April 05, 2005 12:54 PM
Zach wrote:^ Exactly. If you can live with a 1" drop (which is barely noticable) you won't need custom GC springs.

Mine was definitely closer to a 2" drop with the standard springs. If you order the taller springs when you order the kit, they don't cost you a dime extra.

Xian G wrote:The Koni sport suspension kit says it's 1.8" drop. Is this correct? I only want a 0.5" drop at the most.

You don't want the sport suspension kit. You just want the dampers.

Tuesday, April 05, 2005 1:45 PM
Just the dampeners? OK thanks for input.

But, my springs are crap.
They are really relaxed. My rear end drops when i step on the gas... Like a muscle car
The front end has a slight bounce when going over bumbs... like an old caddy
Also the rear struts occasionally groan when getting into the car.

I might be wrong, but these problems seem to be spring related.
Not to mention, I know my shocks and struts are shot.

So the outcome seems to be Ground Control with Konis, huh?
Nextproblem.. Ground Control only shows coil overs for 01 cavalier and earlier.
I have 02 cavalier......
Tuesday, April 05, 2005 3:06 PM
your struts are blown so it may appear your springs are failing too.

Quote:

Event

STRUTS
Now that you have a base on what choices to choose from, start thinking and prepping to spend extra money on some struts if need be applies. Air struts are specially made with either bags on them or an air cylinder inside. So you don’t need lowering struts for those. However, on springs and coilovers, struts should be your first buy. Once you have struts, you can put almost anything on them and not have to worry about the struts failing. Once the struts fail, so has the stability of your car. The struts are the mainstay of mechanical suspension. They control the motion of the spring. The spring is there to help the car stay suspended, while the strut is to control the smoothness. Remember the POGO stick from childhood. It was fun cause you kept bouncing, but imagine how hard it would have been if pressurized oil was inside and controlled motion. It would have sucked then, but now with a car its what you look for. CONTROL…

man I do miss Art

Tuesday, April 05, 2005 3:30 PM
Xian G wrote:So the outcome seems to be Ground Control with Konis, huh?
Nextproblem.. Ground Control only shows coil overs for 01 cavalier and earlier.
I have 02 cavalier......

Suspension is the same from 95-05. No worries there. They just haven't updated their info.

Wednesday, April 06, 2005 7:42 AM
OK thanks again for the information. Greatly appreciated.

Last bugging question. Thunk I should change my strut mounts when i do the sruts?
Wednesday, April 06, 2005 10:38 AM
look at the konis sport kit post, you will see that even tho they advertise a drop, it looks like nothing. you might be interested in that.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search