Swaybar information needed - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Swaybar information needed
Saturday, April 09, 2005 4:06 PM
I've gone back to stock springs thanks to the possibility of insurance and police hassles and I'm now looking at other ways to improve the handling. I am going to install a rear sway bar to minimize body roll now that I'm back on stock springs. My car does not have a front sway bar, is one necessary when adding a rear sway bar?

Re: Swaybar information needed
Saturday, April 09, 2005 5:47 PM
Warren Bond wrote:I've gone back to stock springs thanks to the possibility of insurance and police hassles and I'm now looking at other ways to improve the handling. I am going to install a rear sway bar to minimize body roll now that I'm back on stock springs. My car does not have a front sway bar, is one necessary when adding a rear sway bar?
insurance police WHAT?

see ya!

Saturday, April 09, 2005 7:20 PM
Well, it wouldn't be needed. If you were ever in a loss of control situation though, the car would be much more likely to spin out.

Saturday, April 09, 2005 8:06 PM
novaracer wrote:
Warren Bond wrote:I've gone back to stock springs thanks to the possibility of insurance and police hassles and I'm now looking at other ways to improve the handling. I am going to install a rear sway bar to minimize body roll now that I'm back on stock springs. My car does not have a front sway bar, is one necessary when adding a rear sway bar?
insurance police WHAT?

Insurance companies in the Toronto area have been cancelling coverage for lowered cars. The police have been stopping modified cars mainly for loud exhaust, tint, illegal lights, but have also been handing out tickets for cars being "too low". Probably could fight it, but I can't be bothered.
Sunday, April 10, 2005 9:36 AM
you need balance,i would get both and put em in there.

unless your slammed and driving wildly, they are profiling your car based on someone elses behavior. get yourself a mild drop, like a pro-kit. most people would be hard pressed to tell you your car is lower than stock without having another j-body sitting right next to it. I don;t know what the laws are up there but if you exhaust is "normal" you drive responsibly, and don't put things on your car to attract attention. then who is to know? did you get you car new or used?if you didn't buy it new then you can always tell the ins that "they must have been on the car" I know my insurance company didn't crawl under my car to look to see what was there.

just random thoughts on the matter, too much caffeine , not enough sleep

Sunday, April 10, 2005 8:01 PM
nobody is going to notice there being a rear sway on it, its a stock item on most cars I wouldnt worry about it

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Monday, April 11, 2005 1:47 PM
u need both bars i put the rear one on first, when driving hard into a turn hiting the brakes would shift the weight and make the car extremly unstable, get both bars

Its not how fast your car goes....its how much nerve the driver has to push it that fast.
Monday, April 11, 2005 3:21 PM
Thanks. I was hoping to hear from someone with first hand experience with this.
Monday, April 11, 2005 3:41 PM
Well, lets just say that I have a front and rear bar to put on my girlfriend's car and I wasn't willing to start with the rear and do the front later when I had some time.

Monday, April 11, 2005 4:25 PM
Here is your answer dude, your suspension is a system, you are better off doing it right the first time rather than doing it half @ss and then maybe fixing it later.

Zach wrote:Well, it wouldn't be needed. If you were ever in a loss of control situation though, the car would be much more likely to spin out.

Tuesday, April 12, 2005 10:09 AM
I know there are some idiots out there who modify their car in unsafe ways and there are a lot of unsafe drivers no matter what they are driving. The law should crack down on THEM... not us. I was in an accident because a 50 year old woman ran a red light downtown in front of me. She probably still pays a lower insurance premium than me because I'm a 23 year old unmarried male despite no tickets and no at-fault accidents (knock on wood). You'd think insurance companies would reward good drivers... but insurance is a business and they make lots of money anyway.

As far as I see it, performance upgrades are meant to make a vehicle more safe. Performance tires are meant to lower braking distances. Upgraded suspension systems are meant to provide better handling in defensive driving maneuvers. Anyone who has driven a stock 2005 Scion tC comparable in price to a stock FE1 J body can tell you it's like night and day. If auto manufacturers are going to use cheap parts on our cars, then we're going to upgrade those parts for our own safety on the road and if insurance and police have a problem with that, let them drive stock police cars with stock tires... obviously upgrading parts has a purpose. A Cavalier is not a Corvette, a Sunfire is not a Porshe 911, doesn't mean you can't upgrade it to perform similar to one. But then the insurance companies charge high premiums for sports cars and low premiums for economy cars so we're undermining their profits aren't we.

Tuesday, April 12, 2005 3:02 PM
Was wondering about the tC's suspension.

But yeah, you're gonna want both.

Lots of companies even only go with front bars only from the factory.

Case in point, the FE1 or 2 suspension Jbodys.
Front sway only.

-M

Remember....syringes go in the RED waste basket.
Wednesday, April 13, 2005 5:55 AM
Cinny wrote:people would be hard pressed to tell you your car is lower than stock without having another j-body sitting right next to it.

People always know mine is lower!

Wednesday, April 13, 2005 5:08 PM
If you have an 04 with the stock front sway bar, is it fine to just get the aftermarket rear one for some improved handling?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search