Strut Mounts and Ball joints - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Strut Mounts and Ball joints
Tuesday, April 12, 2005 10:20 AM
Within a month I am going to be installing new front and rear struts on my 02 cavalier.
Still undecided on what to get, Koni or AGX, thats another thing...

When i do this, I plan on replacing my mounts. Is there a performance company that makes after market strut mounts, that perform better than stock? I saw Koni had some, but they were rear and not for 2002.

Also I'm going to be replacing my control arm bushings this weekend. I wanted to know if replacing the ball joint is preferable when doing the bushings. And, is there a performance ball joint?

Any info would be great. Thanks

Re: Strut Mounts and Ball joints
Tuesday, April 12, 2005 1:36 PM
The OEM pre-2000 (96-99) style strut mounts are much nicer quality then your stock "2000+ style" mounts. I just replaced mine with these and they are definately more durable (especially the bearing). There are a lot more parts to these older mounts though, and there are a few differences that can screw you up unless you thjink about it before you throw it all together. If you go this route you will need two parts:

1) Strut mount assembly (Monroe strut-mate kit)
2) GM spring seat

Even if you go another route, you should make sure you get new spring insulators... 2 each of GM part numbers 22128882 and 22134997.

And as for the control arm... I also just finished doing my control arm bushings install. I don't think there's any reason you should replace the balljoints. However, with all the work you'll be doing at the same time, it's likely you'll end up damaging your balljoint boots (I did) so it might be a good idea to at least have spare boots handy (although I have searched before and can't find anywhere you can buy just the boots). Also, pay close attention when you install the large control arm bushings.... it is very easy to install them backwards

Let me know if you need any other help as I just did the same work on my car in the last few days (koni yellow, eibach pro-kit, a-arm bushings, eibach sway bars.... and still working on more).
- Ken

'99 Z24, Manual
Re: Strut Mounts and Ball joints
Tuesday, April 12, 2005 3:33 PM
Great thanks for the input. I will definitely look into that older mount, hopefully can still get them new. I guess just ask them for a 1999 strut mount or the "Monroe strut mate kit"

Thanks for the part #'s. No chance theres a poly. version of those?

Thanks for the install advice too. I have done bushings in muscle cars before, so I hope it won't be harder. As for struts, I have had to install them, never a mount tho.

After the bushings is the sway bar kit. Then finally, I think AGX's. I don't want to lower the car, so no spring kits for me.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search