Koni's Popping... ( I searched) - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Koni's Popping... ( I searched)
Tuesday, April 12, 2005 6:58 PM
Hey guys, been having some problems with my koni yellows and rk coilovers. I followed wild weasel's guide to modding the 2k+ mounts ( I have an 03) and the tophats seem to fit in the mount fine, and they don't make any noise when I turn, its when I go over a bump, and the strut compresses quickly, something clunks, mainly on the passenger side front, but the driverside will do it occasionally as well. It almost sounds like the spring is twisting, but I don't understand how it could while im driving straight. There is not alot to make noise under there as far as I understand except for the tophat on the mount. Help me out, because I have to drive 1000 miles this weekend, and I don't want any snags.

Re: Koni's Popping... ( I searched)
Tuesday, April 12, 2005 6:59 PM
Also I have not gotten an alignment yet , as I wanted to drive on them for a week and set the height. Could this be the culprit?

Wednesday, April 13, 2005 6:47 AM
The modifications listed on my HowTo page help reduce but do not eliminate the problem. That's why there's no link to it yet from my main HowTo page. It's incomplete.

I've got a solution now that seems to do the trick though.

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=3&i=85713&t=85713

I haven't had a batch made up for sale yet though since I'm still trying to determine the final height for the inserts. I'll likely have them available within a month though.

Wednesday, April 13, 2005 5:01 PM
I've been following the insert thread. This is bad though. it sounds like something is loose and rattling, over every bump! Normal?

Thursday, April 14, 2005 4:06 AM
No, that doesn't sound normal at all.

The sound from the top hats binding really sounds like a loud creaking sound from the springs being twisted and grinding against their perches. It certainly doesn't sound like anything loose and rattling.

Thursday, April 14, 2005 4:26 AM
sounds to me like you probably need to trim the bumpstop, as it only does it when the spring compresses quickly..its probably nailing the bumpstop. did you trim it at all when you installed the setup?

Thursday, April 14, 2005 6:31 AM
Also, what height are you at now?

Thursday, April 14, 2005 6:37 AM
I fixed it last night. I did have the bumpstop trimmed, so that wasn't the problem, it was the tophat hitting the mount. I didn't grind it down enough, so over big enough ruts, the hat would bang on the mount for some reason. Threw a thick washer in there, and ground it down some more, and now I have no noise.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search