Cobalt steering rack swap into a Cav? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Cobalt steering rack swap into a Cav?
Tuesday, April 05, 2005 10:39 AM
Could this be done?
If anyone has one of each sitting around could you please take a look at them and let me know. Besides the machnical fit what about electrical, does anyone know how I could get it to work with my steering system?

any help would be great, thanks

'99 2200 LS CX1 Sport

Re: Cobalt steering rack swap into a Cav?
Tuesday, April 05, 2005 11:04 AM
I have to ask: Why?

If you are looking for a tighter gearing, just buy (or get ahold of) the steering gear from a car with the FE2 suspension. I belive the LS Sport Special Edition may have had the same gear, but can't be positive (i remember gm was calling it a bonus feature or something).

Tuesday, April 05, 2005 12:23 PM
Does the cobalt have independant rear suspension, I wonder if that would swap into the Jbody easier than a grandam assembly.

Tuesday, April 05, 2005 1:30 PM
IRS on an entry level car from GM.... what?

No. I beleive they have a solid rear axle.

Tuesday, April 05, 2005 1:33 PM
Actualy, GM calls it "semi-independent torsion beam"

Tuesday, April 05, 2005 1:36 PM
actually I thought the SS got IRS. The lower end Cobalts got the "semi-independent torsion beam"

Tuesday, April 05, 2005 2:28 PM
the cavaliers and the coblats both have the twist beam style

the cobalts matchs the 1st and 2nd gen set up , seperate coil spring and regular shock

and the cobalts havent been out long enough for any to just have parts laying around for them

not to mention i think the rack swap would be a waste

Tuesday, April 05, 2005 4:49 PM
Does anybody know how much tighter the FE2,FE3 steering rack as compalred to the stadard FE1 rack??

I would like to tighten up the steering and have never though of doing this until now, but it makes sense i have a 12:1 ratio box on my truck which is light years better than the stock variable ratio box.

I read that in another post he was looking at doing the cobalt rack becasue its electical and he could do away with the regular p/s pump to make room to swap in an S-10 2200 intake manifold.

Im sure it could be done, but really not wortht he effort, and seeing as the car is brand new on the market, probably have to get the parts from the dealer and that equals expensive.

Plus i dont really think you would see gains with the S-10 intake manifold, maybe in low RPM TQ which is why the intake is dsigned the way it is to begin with, but High RPM power would not be benefited by the swap.

Just my $.02 on the matter.

Mike

1992 GMC Sonoma GT #492. Oh, Its just a stock V6!

1999 Cavalier Coupe, daily driver, 2200/M5. Mods and pics are in my registry.

Fully built turbo 2200 in progress, should be installed very soon. Will post details as they happen.
Support the site that supports your habit, Go Premium.
Tuesday, April 05, 2005 6:03 PM
here is why I want to do this
for those who won't bother to read basically I am going to run a standalone fuel management system with the option to control spark and I need more room to put a distributer on and the 2200 intake manifold is in the way, so then I figure that I can put on the S-10 manifold to make enough room and the power steering pump would prolly have to go to get this to fit, and finally I can live with arm strong steering but it would be nice to still have.

'99 2200 LS CX1 Sport
Tuesday, April 05, 2005 6:04 PM
and besides I work at a dealership so I would be able to get the rack for a bit cheaper

'99 2200 LS CX1 Sport
Wednesday, April 06, 2005 11:22 AM
just use the coils you have , most after market computers will work with our DIS system

besides youll loose 1% of your power to turn the dist , and have more parts to wear out

you 2.2 guys need all the help you can get

and either way the rack is gonna be a big wad of cash , not to mention its most likely not avaliable yet , and they would have to pull 1 from the assembly line to fill a warrenty claim for 1

honestly i think your asking for a but load of unnecessary work , since alot of people here have fast 2.2's , and didnt spend near the money you are looking at spending

Thursday, April 07, 2005 7:32 AM
I can tell that you didn't bother to read...
MegaSquirt SparkExtra dosen't work with the 7 notch crank wheel, nor the two seperate spark signals from the PCM. I don't want to have to go buy a MSD ignition system just to run spark when I can do it all from the same laptop. Having to run two different systems at the same time would be quite a challenge and a pain in the @&&.

'99 2200 LS CX1 Sport
Sunday, April 10, 2005 11:26 AM
Zach wrote:IRS on an entry level car from GM.... what?

No. I beleive they have a solid rear axle.

This is why i loved Kia's, There Suspension is made by lotus. Idependent front and rear macphearson struts.

“Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that’s even remotely
true.

Cannon fodder is my daddy.
Sunday, April 10, 2005 8:05 PM
cobalt does not have independent rear however with upgraded sway bars front and rear, upgraded poly end link bushings, control arm bushings, good strut and spring, front and rear strut tower braces, good z rated tire, subframe brace, rear tie bar, I sincerly doubt theres any cobalt and most other cars for that matter that will out corner you

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Monday, April 11, 2005 10:42 PM
i just dont get it...paint your bumpers or something.. buy a 2.4

Tuesday, April 12, 2005 6:44 PM
all the articles i've read about the steering system in the delta platform cars complain about the electrical steering system feeling very numb and off-center... not something i'd want to swap into my car. :shrug:

Wednesday, April 13, 2005 8:10 AM
^^ I never heard about that before, thanks
so no power steering looks like the way to go for now

'99 2200 LS CX1 Sport
Wednesday, April 13, 2005 9:08 AM
Ok, well one idea would be to use a remote reservoir pump, something like a NASCAR type setup, they use a sweet style p/s pump which is a revalved stock style gm type 2 pump, and a remote reservior.

I bet it would give you the clearance for the intake and then you could run the setup you want to, and dump the DIS.

Also what distributor are you planning on runnin? A stock 2.5 or late 80's early 90's 2.2??? Just curious, as i cant remember what year they went to the DIS.

Also heres a few pics of the setup im talking about from an auction i seen on Ebay.

You would have to make a new flat mounting plate, and probably best place to mount would be the firewall, or you could make the hoses longer and mount in anywhere.

Heres a link the ebay auction in case your interested, bidding starts at 149 which i would think is way cheaper and easier than swapping in a cobalt steering rack.

Click here for the link

Well i hope that helps you out.

Mike

1992 GMC Sonoma GT #492. Oh, Its just a stock V6!

1999 Cavalier Coupe, daily driver, 2200/M5. Mods and pics are in my registry.

Fully built turbo 2200 in progress, should be installed very soon. Will post details as they happen.
Support the site that supports your habit, Go Premium.
Im premium since January, but why doesnt it say that?????
Wednesday, April 13, 2005 10:19 PM
HotRodV6 wrote:Does anybody know how much tighter the FE2,FE3 steering rack as compalred to the stadard FE1 rack??

was there a difference? If I can tighten up the ratio on my steering that would rock...thanks
Thursday, April 14, 2005 8:27 AM
HotRodV6, that sounds like a good idea, I'll check into that
oh and btw the distributer will be out of a '82-'86 2.0 Cavalier

'99 2200 LS CX1 Sport
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search