Neon disc swap how to - Page 15 - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Neon disc swap how to
Monday, November 20, 2006 11:08 AM
yeah,

the calipers can be had of any 89+ dodge/chrysler/ with rear disc's minus the talon/laser/eclipse they're mitsu

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier
5-spd

Wednesday, November 29, 2006 8:43 AM
i know of someone who just got lucky and found the daytona brackets with 11.2" vented rotors on his first trip to the junkyard.......

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -
Friday, December 08, 2006 3:19 PM
meh the brackets will have to be upside down, putting the caliper at a 5 o'clock spot, and looks like ass

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier
5-spd

Friday, December 08, 2006 7:44 PM
u just flip them around.

- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -
Saturday, December 09, 2006 9:35 AM
The only thing I'm wondering is will the ebrake cable reach without stretching its reach and compressing the spring?

I bet I could get a srt4 vented rotor on the neon swap stuff and just get a larger bite caliper from the labaron gtz. I'll try that once my rotors go to @!#$. But let me know what you find out with the flipping them over deal.
Monday, December 11, 2006 8:19 AM
yeah, i think that was the issue, the cables werent long enough, and you'd have to swap to longer cables.

the neon ones are easier to find

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier
5-spd

Wednesday, January 24, 2007 2:29 PM
anyone have any brackets for the 2g for sale?

Sunday, February 04, 2007 6:37 PM
What a fantastic Idea. Props to everyone who has installed them.

I was looking and reading about other purpose built disc break conversion systems (SSBC, specifically).
Now I didnt take the 3 hours to look through this thread to see if anyone else has pointed this out, and I am aware that fabricating and
sizing these systems to fit non-conventional means is a painstakingly long, and arduous process. Fraught with dissapointments and realizations.

With that in mind, I want to ask a few questions regarding the calipur braket itself, without stepping on any toes.

I noticed that on cars equipped with rear disk breaks have the rear calipur in a specific location on the hub.
Chrysler 300

Honda Prelude

..When it comes to trucks, again the hub position changes.
Ford F-150

The Neon has the front caliper leaning forward (in relation to the strut, which is about center) and the rear caliper leaning aft (same relation)
(look for faint red calipurs, theyre hard to see, I have to squint)
Dodge Neon

The above photographs have front calipurs that follow this configuration. 300C - aft of the front hub, Prelude - Foreward of Hub
f-150 - Aft of Hub

My question is, is there a relation between how the car handles during a full brake application, and the locations of
the caliper in relation to the hub? If so, would there be a possibility of adversely effecting the brake application handling, by
placing a brake calipur in the 'wrong' position ?

With the stock cavalier, the front disk brake caliper is foreward like the neon and is designed with a McPherson strut,
and a lower A-arm. The rear is a coilover-shock with a lower radius arm which doubles as an anti-sway bar (as either side are
fixed to eachother, creating a ']' shape, with each hub at the end of each arm.

I apologize for the recap on the suspension parts discriptions, but bear with me.

The rear suspension of the Neon is "Fully Independant", opposite the Cavalier rear suspension.

Do suspension dynamics, dictate where an "engineer" would place the calipur? Does forces exerted on the hub, and lower assembly dictate positioning of the
calipur. Ultimately, can the rear disk brake kit fit, reversed (driver side, for passanger side and vice-versa) in the case that its better
for the car to do so? Has anyone done it? Is there a noticeable difference?

Please, if this has allready been discussed, let me know... Im very interested in this part-swap, and I will do it, as long as I am not shortening the life of my car..

anyways,

cheers...

Sunday, February 04, 2007 9:40 PM
In very short yes it makes a difference.....only as far as suspension flex during breaking goes though. Depending on how you have the suspension links connected and where/how the calipers are connected to these components you can elastically deform the suspension and achieve a better grip or any other desired effect, depending on how you design the setup. Us J's with a twist-beam rear axle I can tell you it make no difference at all.
Saturday, March 03, 2007 6:46 PM
thanx 4 the info. swap looks sic

Saturday, March 10, 2007 8:40 PM
Lets add a third caliper thread size to the mix...

The calipers I got from Autozone -- part number C494 and C495 are not 7/16" anything... Looks like metric. Off to the hardware store.

edit: After some research, looks like it might be M10 x 1.0 on the caliper side...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Saturday, March 10, 2007 9:15 PM

Saturday, March 10, 2007 11:16 PM
Kardain wrote:Lets add a third caliper thread size to the mix...

The calipers I got from Autozone -- part number C494 and C495 are not 7/16" anything... Looks like metric. Off to the hardware store.

edit: After some research, looks like it might be M10 x 1.0 on the caliper side...

Yea i found out the hard damn way, They sent me one thats the wrong size thread even though i ordered the correct part numbers.

Sunday, March 11, 2007 7:24 PM

Is it? I need to know asap

Sunday, March 11, 2007 7:41 PM
Phlatcav wrote:

Is it? I need to know asap

???

I know its m10x1 on the J-body side of things

Sunday, March 11, 2007 8:23 PM
I have the fittings on order... hardware stores around here didn't have that thread pitch for that size.

I got these: http://www.holley.com/592035ERL.asp coming..

-03 AN to 10mm x 1.0

I didn't want to have to order them blindly, but looks like I had to. I hate living in the sticks sometimes when it comes to finding parts. As soon as they get here, I'll let you know if they work. Should be this week.

Sunday, March 11, 2007 9:12 PM
I think its 10mm x 1.5 for the other size, thats if the cavy is 10mm x1.0 cuz i tried the cavy fitting on the neon caliper and its not a fine enuff thread pitch.

Sunday, March 11, 2007 9:29 PM
Correction its not 10mm x 1.5 either .

Sunday, March 11, 2007 9:40 PM
Found it, its 3/8"-24

Sunday, March 11, 2007 10:07 PM
Phlatcav wrote:I think its 10mm x 1.5 for the other size, thats if the cavy is 10mm x1.0 cuz i tried the cavy fitting on the neon caliper and its not a fine enuff thread pitch.

Same thing I tried which is why I thought they are M10 fittings.

Here's where I found the m10 info:

http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?t=280997&highlight=caliper+fitting
(1 post up from the bottom -- the bolt they are referencing to is the banjo fitting)

Quote:

2g: m10 x 1.0 thread 1" long bolt...

I can't quite cancel my order for the M10's, so if they don't work, I'll just eBay 'em and get the 3/8"

Sunday, March 11, 2007 11:12 PM
its the 3/8 cuz i have a 3/8 -24 bleeder and it fits perfict.

Sunday, March 11, 2007 11:16 PM
dammit. that's what I figured you'd say

Monday, March 12, 2007 7:55 AM
Haha, Fed ex just stopped by and dropped off a replacement caliper from autozone with the correct size hole! Guess I wont be looking for a 3/8 fitting

Friday, March 16, 2007 4:57 PM
but I will....

<insert profanities here>

Friday, March 16, 2007 6:03 PM
Kardain wrote:but I will....

<insert profanities here>

this is where I got my fittings, hope his helps ya out

Saturday, March 17, 2007 11:45 PM
Didn't see a -3AN to 3/8"-24 on that site... got a pair coming from Summit (with much reservation due to raping on shipping)

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search