Neon disc swap how to - Page 30 - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Neon disc swap how to
Thursday, March 14, 2013 5:53 PM
Joshua Dearman wrote:Which year are you looking at?

I was mistaken on the rotor sizes. I misread while researching.

Is anyone running the SRT caliper and is the rotor the same as base model?

BeardLife / Club Awesome Reject Blog

Thursday, March 14, 2013 6:36 PM
I believe mine are srt4. The rotors are a tad thicker and so is the caliper but I believe that can be mixed and matched with no issue.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Friday, April 25, 2014 7:20 PM
I take it from the pics that slotted rear rotors are available. Can someone provide a part number and a place to find em. Please and thank you
Friday, April 25, 2014 8:42 PM
Google?

Saturday, April 26, 2014 12:06 PM
What do you actually need ? The rotors or the brackets ?

I have a spare pair of brackets sitting in my house for sale
Sunday, June 01, 2014 10:56 AM
Okay just need braided stainless steel lines. I want to know for the ebrake should I swap to the 02 ebrake lines or can I use the neon ones.
Sunday, June 01, 2014 11:05 AM
I used the 02 cables since that was on my car. I trimmed one or two rings off of each spring on the end to race installation. I have the Sea bring vert brackets so it may not be needed on the neons.

Monday, June 02, 2014 5:20 AM
According to the info on here the 02 cables are shorter than the 03 and up cables which is what im looking for. Im going to the shop today to take a look at em.
Sunday, June 29, 2014 8:10 PM
I should have just cut some of the spring and used the ebrake handle to take up the extra slack. I replaced the front cable with an 02 cable but the cable is to short. Im going to try to lengthen the coupling between the rear and front cable.
Friday, September 11, 2015 10:01 PM
Just a little feedback on the Neon Rear Disc swap.
I've had this on my car and got about 35,000 miles on them until the accident and engine failure.
They worked flawlessly with no maintenance at all during the time on the car.
The car was driven hard and the disc swap never gave me issues ever.
I used all Neon SRT4 parts for the setup including the calipers with braided lines to finish the setup.
I enjoyed doing all the modifications needed to make it work and the looks on peoples eyes when they recognized that the Cavalier never had discs is priceless.
Sorry for the random post but I figured as a long time member here the feedback would be good for those still wanting to do this modification.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Friday, October 23, 2015 9:38 AM
Hey Misinblu sorry to hear about the car, I finally got my 00 Z24 back and I'm going to finish my turbo build I have the brackets and rotors but now I need the SRT4 calipers.

What braided brake lines do I need to use to finish the setup, also did you install the 2psi residual valves in the rear lines?

Friday, October 23, 2015 11:33 AM
I'll have an answer for you tonight.
I'm at work at the moment.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Friday, October 23, 2015 7:30 PM
Dale Young wrote:Hey Misinblu sorry to hear about the car, I finally got my 00 Z24 back and I'm going to finish my turbo build I have the brackets and rotors but now I need the SRT4 calipers.

What braided brake lines do I need to use to finish the setup, also did you install the 2psi residual valves in the rear lines?

I did my braided lines long enough to loop back from the caliper to the hard line.
I forgot the length it's been so long.
I also used AN adaptors for the Neon calipers. Again I don't remember the thread pattern on the caliper but the brake line was designated for brake service diameter.

No residual valves were used for the setup with no ill effects and 'stop before the dime' braking. They were incredible.
Wear on either front Wilwood or rear setup was hardly noticeable for wear and tear.
After all the miles they still both looked good enough for another 35,000 miles.

I wish I could upload from my hard drive since I've got all my pictures on file that I could post up on the brake setup. Errrrrrrr. lol

Oh and for reference I never hooked up the e-brake. I was very conscience on keeping the weight low for the 'blu and the extra weight of the e-brake hardware isn't what I wanted on the car.
Let me know if you've got any other questions I can remember the answers. lol

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Friday, October 23, 2015 7:52 PM
Check what thread to have on your calipers, it's been awhile but I remember mine being different from the norm.

Saturday, July 16, 2016 8:06 PM
Anyone know if the SRT 4 backing plates (dust shields) need to be modified or will they just bolt on, I can't seem to find the backing plates that came with my "kit" I brought years ago?
Tuesday, July 19, 2016 4:36 PM
Does anybody have pictures of the Ebrake hardware INSTALLED without the rotor on?

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Tuesday, July 19, 2016 5:00 PM
I might, I would have to dig. It's pretty simple what do you need to know?

Tuesday, July 19, 2016 5:34 PM
Well im redoing this swap on my new J, I had pics of it from 06 back when I first did it but lost them. I need to know how the hardware is ran again. The person i bought this 2nd kit from doesnt have the Neon valves that go between the shoes so I told him to send me the Jbody ones. I just want to see the difference as well between those, not sure if I can use the Jbody valves.

306 TQ
Tuesday, July 19, 2016 5:58 PM
there are NO valves in the E-Brake system, thats the point. It's a cable system so if you loose brake fluid pressure you can still stop.
I found these pictures, its Seabring backing plate but same hardware as the Neon, you may need to flip it upside down. I think I had to cut the loop off to get everything to fit. YMMV

Tuesday, July 19, 2016 6:45 PM
Ahhh thats right.

Thanks man for the pics as well, perfect.

One last question, my last setup was on my 97 and the Ebrake cable was perfect. I have an 02 now, will my 02 Ebrake cable me an issue?

306 TQ
Tuesday, July 19, 2016 7:09 PM
Only have experience doing 02+. That said I had to hook the cable on the arm mechanism between the spring and the end piece to make it stay on there. If you get stuck, post back.

Tuesday, July 19, 2016 7:19 PM
Cinny wrote:Only have experience doing 02+. That said I had to hook the cable on the arm mechanism between the spring and the end piece to make it stay on there. If you get stuck, post back.

Will do, thanks

306 TQ
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search