Very Strange Problem, Spring Rotating? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Very Strange Problem, Spring Rotating?
Friday, October 14, 2005 9:48 PM
A few months back I turned my wheel all the way left in my parent's driveway and heard a loud "bunk" noise. I thought "uh oh... CV joints?" Now when I turn the wheel left it makes the noise about three times. I had the CVJs looked at while getting my oil changed, and they said the boots are fine, everything seems okay, brakes are fine, etc. I had my girlfriend turn the wheel while I watched behind the tire and I saw my spring was rotating about an inch at a time as the wheels turned, then would shift back quickly ("bunk"). What's going on, how do I fix it, and in the event I need new parts, should I upgrade?

Re: Very Strange Problem, Spring Rotating?
Friday, October 14, 2005 10:22 PM
Stock springs? Hmmm, i'm not sure, bad shocks? It seems like my stock springs had way to much tension on them to even think about moving... i dunno, i'd upgrade neway!

Saturday, October 15, 2005 12:43 PM
Seems like maybe the spring is 'hung up' at the top, as in, not turning, I didn't even think springs were supposed to turn?

Saturday, October 15, 2005 7:10 PM
the springs are not supposed to turn

it sounds like a bad upper mount, the bearing is going or gone bad and it now slips along instead of turning smoothly. just a thought

Monday, October 17, 2005 6:22 PM
Mount is seized, and not turning, so your spring is being forced to turn.

Tuesday, October 18, 2005 12:22 AM
take apart the strut mount and clean/Regrease the bearings, see if that helps..

Saturday, October 22, 2005 7:50 PM
Someone told me the spring is supposed to hook into the cup at the bottom and when his popped out the spring would turn a bit, is that how it works at all?

Saturday, October 22, 2005 10:29 PM
my springs did that for a while after i had pulled my suspention apart. and then when i installed my d-specs it went away. i'm gonna say just adjust the position of the spring (make sure its seated on the lower rubber ring properly) and put it back together, should fix it up if ya fiddle with it
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search