IRS How to - Page 10 - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: IRS How to
Thursday, July 13, 2006 12:49 PM
i was going to get a fabricator buddy of mine to build me some links based on the W body ones so I can adjust the suspension alot better. i believe the W body rods are a different length.

Friday, July 14, 2006 2:02 AM
Off topic alert....... but why is this not sticky??

Friday, July 14, 2006 11:38 AM
its not sticky cause no one has gooed on it!!

Sunday, October 15, 2006 10:33 PM
STICKY THIS

had to spend time searching for this, that could have been used to spend money......

anyway......

KYB AGX N-body struts.....

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Tuesday, October 17, 2006 8:04 AM
SpeedRacerZ wrote:STICKY THIS

had to spend time searching for this, that could have been used to spend money......

anyway......

KYB AGX N-body struts.....

thanks to me

Team GREEN
Saturday, October 21, 2006 10:05 PM
Lenko, John Lenko wrote:Page 5 ownage!

Car goes up on lift Jay standing by to assist... or mock... whatever...

Test fit... check clearances on spare tire well. Apply hammer.

Suspension bitsssssss

Drill holes, then have Gus thread bolts through with some wire. Thanks Gus!

We put nuts on the bolts... so we wouldn't accidentally knock them back into the frame rail and lose them.

1 big flat washer, 1 lock washer, 1 nut. We're going to add another nut to lock it up there.

Starting to look more like the finished product!

It fits!

Needs some camber adjustment... but we're gonna slot out these bolt holes to accommodate that.

Coming down...

Now like I said... we're still waiting on brake lines and a front e-brake cable... (coming from Edmonton... damnit!) and for me to be off work... so... Thursday... possibly...

I'd like to find flexible braided lines for this.... anyone know who sells a 12 inch one that would work?

RELOAD THE IMAGES !! USE PHOTOBUCKET !!!! lol !!

My Cav
I give up...
i'm buying a VW those people love trees, so they should love eachother too... "Andy"
Saturday, October 21, 2006 10:58 PM
Short Hand wrote:
Lenko, John Lenko wrote:Page 5 ownage!

Car goes up on lift Jay standing by to assist... or mock... whatever...

Test fit... check clearances on spare tire well. Apply hammer.

Suspension bitsssssss

Drill holes, then have Gus thread bolts through with some wire. Thanks Gus!

We put nuts on the bolts... so we wouldn't accidentally knock them back into the frame rail and lose them.

1 big flat washer, 1 lock washer, 1 nut. We're going to add another nut to lock it up there.

Starting to look more like the finished product!

It fits!

Needs some camber adjustment... but we're gonna slot out these bolt holes to accommodate that.

Coming down...

Now like I said... we're still waiting on brake lines and a front e-brake cable... (coming from Edmonton... damnit!) and for me to be off work... so... Thursday... possibly...

I'd like to find flexible braided lines for this.... anyone know who sells a 12 inch one that would work?

RELOAD THE IMAGES !! USE PHOTOBUCKET !!!! lol !!

Photobucket sucks... I have my own server at home Just that my ISP gave me a static IP addy... so it changed... my bad

Fixed

Sunday, November 12, 2006 12:41 PM
hey lenko can you post pics up of what your exhaust looks like? im curious of how it is routed after doing the swap

300hp&tq coming soon
Team GREEN
Sunday, November 12, 2006 7:49 PM

Monday, November 13, 2006 11:11 AM
thanks brian

300hp&tq coming soon
Team GREEN
Thursday, November 23, 2006 6:37 AM
sorry i didnt have time to read all 10 pages of this post but i was wondering what parts exactly do i need to do the swap onto an 03 cav??? and i was looking at the tien super street coilover set and was wondering what rear struts i would have to get n plce of the ones for 03 rears. also i was gonna do a 12" SSBC rear disc conversion, what do i use now???
and before anyone flames me. i apologize for not reading the full 10 pages. but usually out of 10 pages only about 1.5 pages are actually fully related to what the thread is about so.... i just figured would ask and get it upfront. thanx

many changes in the making
my favorite part about doing bodywork,.......... bondo bugers

Thursday, November 23, 2006 4:12 PM
It's pretty rare that I'm a total dick, but start reading.

Thursday, November 23, 2006 5:01 PM
i thought i explained why i didnt read it all

Thursday, November 23, 2006 5:52 PM
First thing you need to do is read the Suspension FAQ. Then you would know not to ask dumb questions like how this applies to an 03. This is a 3rd gen swap, and works exactly the same on all third gens. If you don't know what a third gen is then you need to read the J-body FAQ.

We have spent hours of our lives writing directions and explanations so that anyone can come along, read what we have done, and figure out how to do it themselves. I can't speak for the rest, but it bugs me that we did all that work and you refuse to read it and want us to spoon feed it to you instead.

To specifically answer the questions you asked:
1. Any J-Body rear suspension parts will NOT work with the IRS swap. It's different springs, struts, wheels, etc. Tein doesn't make N-body parts to my knowledge, or anything that could be made to work.
2. Any J-Body rear brake parts will NOT work with the IRS swap. It's completely different, not a single part would be useful. The stock N-body rear disc brakes work very well. 12" rear brakes are a waste in my opinion anyway (on a J-body).

The "shift" key is your friend, you should learn to use it if you want people to respect anything you type.

Thursday, November 23, 2006 9:33 PM
C.T.S wrote:It's pretty rare that I'm a total dick, but start reading.

x2

If you dont have the time to read, you dont have the time to do this mod.

Friday, November 24, 2006 12:49 PM
i didnt ask for an explanation or a walkthrough!!!!!!!! i just wanted to know what parts i needed but i think i figured it out on my own, no thanks to you dicks. 02 malibu rear should work

Friday, November 24, 2006 1:15 PM
Sorry for being a dick, but this is a very complicated swap. It's really not for people who take the short and easy way out. I would hate to see anyone get hurt because they didn't read the directions carefully.

If you get Malibu IRS you'll have Drum brake in back. Same with Grand AM SE IRS parts.

If you want a shortened version of the How To you can check out my draft on my car-domain site: C.T.S's IRS How-To DRAFT

Friday, November 24, 2006 6:05 PM
C.T.S wrote:Erdody: What were you thinking when you posed that? You need some serious education in modern suspension technology. I highly recommend you start with Chassis Engineering.

As for the welding: I can safely assume you have never welded. And we can ignore everything you said about his welds. Because they look very strong, especially if they were MIG or TIG welded. Even Arc stick comes in a wild variety of strengths, hardnesses, brittleness, etc.

Don't hate on people's projects just because you don't understand them.

Is this book actually good reading or is it a boring engineering book. I am studying to be an engineer and believe there is a difference. I am always looking to further my understanding and I would like to know if it is any good.
Friday, November 24, 2006 7:02 PM
CTS... Lenko, and SpeedracerZ are my f**king heroes. Hail Hal
Friday, November 24, 2006 9:36 PM
cts thamk you thats all i asked for in the first place. but thank you once again

Friday, November 24, 2006 10:09 PM
so after the swap what do you use for adjustable coil overs and big rear brakes. i was lookin at a set of tien SS and the SSBC 13" front and the 12" rear. but obviously those wont fit

Friday, November 24, 2006 10:30 PM
GC makes a CO kit for the SHO that will fit the rear. Rear brakes really don't do that much, and 12" brakes will not drastically improve braking over the 11" rotors from the IRS swap. I don't know of any BBKs for the N-Body. The N doesn't have much of an after market.

Sunday, November 26, 2006 2:15 AM
i looked on gravanatuning.com & they have a barke kit for the rear but what i was really worried about was the coiover situation, cause i mean whats the poin in doin a susp mode if you hav to use the stock susp of the doner??

Sunday, November 26, 2006 4:05 PM
If you read my last post you would have seen that GC makes a CO kit that will fit the N IRS setup.
If you had read the rest of this post you'd know that I'm on Koni's and modified N springs.
Lenko and McMoney are on GR2s if I remember correctly. Lenko has Eibach springs.
That's not very stock if you ask me.
And what's with the obsession with larger brakes? What's wrong with the stock 11".

How about a little reading effort and less obsession with modifications that you don't really understand.

Wednesday, November 29, 2006 6:21 AM
C.T.S. is that book you rec. to that other guy any good or is it a technical book. Please let me know... maybe I can get it for Christmas. I would definetily like to be like the three of you guys. (money, lenko and you)... also Easy becuase he is balla. Either way, please let me know man.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search