going rate for labor to install lowering springs? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
going rate for labor to install lowering springs?
Wednesday, July 05, 2006 10:33 AM
how much oon average is a place charging to install some lowering springs onto a jbody? i am getting my new 18's on friday and want to lower it but i am jsut unsure of the price on labor.

Re: going rate for labor to install lowering sprin
Wednesday, July 05, 2006 10:34 AM
Call a shop and ask? Would probably have taken you about the same amount of time to make this post, and you'd know what your local shop charged.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Wednesday, July 05, 2006 10:46 AM
250 plus take for all four here

2.340 - 60,
16.591 @ 80.52 - 1/4

Guesswho69000@hotmail.com
Wednesday, July 05, 2006 1:26 PM
I think it is between $30 and $40 each here.

If your 05 Sunfire is anything like a 97, then they are easy if you want to do it yourself. I changed out the rear shocks and mounts on my g/f's 97 SE coupe she had. It took a while, but overall it was easy. Check out http://www.bradiscool.com for more info.

The fronts replaced under an aftermarket warranty, so less work for me.
Saturday, July 22, 2006 8:47 PM
if your close to me i can help you do it..... no charge.
im in kenosha wi.
shoot me an e-mail darksidealtima@yahoo.com

laters

My car was made with wrenches, Not chopsticks.
Saturday, July 22, 2006 10:33 PM
Mine were 200 installed, Pro-Kit with Red's. They said it took longer because of setting up the struts. It it were a direct swap, IE Tein's, it would have been an in and out job.

Wednesday, July 26, 2006 6:19 PM
Around my area most shops charge around 200.00 in just labor. But then you have to get an alignment. Which cost between 70 to 100 for a correct lowered alignment.
Wednesday, July 26, 2006 9:50 PM
mine cost me about 180 to put on...but the alignment killed me...110 bucks!! had to stay overnight because they had to order a part for the camber....and then you gotta add up tax and everything

Friday, July 28, 2006 5:49 PM
Friday, July 28, 2006 9:07 PM
^You got ripped on the part they ordered. Js don't need camber bolts.

Saturday, July 29, 2006 8:52 AM
yup, only thing that changes on j-bodies is front toe.
do you have struts for the springs as well? otherwise you may find yourself doing it all over again in a year

14.82 @ 97 mph

Saturday, July 29, 2006 12:55 PM
yeah i have tokico d-specs

Saturday, July 29, 2006 6:55 PM
Im looking to do my springs soon also, dont mean to thread jack but how hard is it to do the spring compressing, i read the how to and that seemed like the only part i was unsure on.
Saturday, July 29, 2006 8:57 PM
i think spring compression is dangerous...I mean compressing a spring, on your own i could just imagine the things that could go wrong. But hey, if i'm wrong, then tell tell

deleted
Saturday, July 29, 2006 11:38 PM
using a spring compressor is easy, basically a just long bolt with a nut and two clevis bolts to hold the spring, tighten both evenly to remove the tension from the top of the strut and proceed with removal.

to put the aftermarket springs on you can probably use your bodyweight to compress the spring since they're shorter.

jbody suspension is pretty simple compared to some other cars

14.82 @ 97 mph
Sunday, July 30, 2006 6:08 AM
well at work I get paid 4 hours to lower a car (golfs, jettas, GTI's, passats, ect.. all VW's).... 4 hours labor at $128 and hour + $169 for alignment

Sunday, July 30, 2006 6:12 AM
and btw anyone who is anyone complaining about how much they were charged..... its simple, the mechanic has skills and tools that most don't, and obciously you don't if yout paying them..... you think schooling, rools, tool boxes, living is all free? Just becaus eyour a cheap ass doesn't mean they should work for nothing.

Sunday, July 30, 2006 7:29 AM
so basically you charge $700 for lowering and alignment.....is that canadian money?
Thursday, August 03, 2006 10:09 PM
Quote:

[Darkstars]and btw anyone who is anyone complaining about how much they were charged..... its simple, the mechanic has skills and tools that most don't, and obciously you don't if yout paying them..... you think schooling, rools, tool boxes, living is all free? Just becaus eyour a cheap ass doesn't mean they should work for nothing.

can mechanics spell?

just kidding. around here an allignment costs about 50 USD and installs are usually around 200 (ew)

deleted
Friday, August 04, 2006 4:01 AM
install everything yourself and just pay for an alignment. anyone can swap out suspensions

Friday, August 04, 2006 5:18 AM
i know theres a tutorial and everything on how to do it. but how hard is it really to change your suspension by yourself? I have sportlines and Koni Yellows that need to go on, and I have never taken my suspension off before... i mean on a scale of 1-5 (5 being the hardest) for a newb to suspension, how hard is it??

deleted

Friday, August 04, 2006 10:53 AM
Dont even need spring compressors for a J-body...... the springs arnt under that much tension.

I charge $80 to install springs....

your on your own for an alignment.

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Friday, August 04, 2006 11:19 AM
its safer to get a spring compressor. you can rent on from autozone then return it and get your money back.

i say on a scale of 1-5, its a 2 at most

Friday, August 04, 2006 4:24 PM
[quote=ßãggéÐÇåv98 (Ûñqùðtäߣè Øñé)]its safer to get a spring compressor. you can rent on from autozone then return it and get your money back.

i say on a scale of 1-5, its a 2 at most

im gonna have to agree on that one... i did mine a couple of weeks ago, and as long as you have someone there with you helping out, its all pretty much straight foreward, and easy... just be careful with the bearings on the front... make sure you dont open up that part and lose any...
overall, im glad i saved myself a possible 150+ by doing it myself . got an alignment done the next day, and now the ride is perfect.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search