Need help/advice concerning suspension - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Need help/advice concerning suspension
Wednesday, July 05, 2006 5:06 PM
So ive been looking at the Suspension FAQ but it doesnt quite answer my question.

Ive got a good deal on some lowering springs (includes install) but im not financially ready for the lowering shocks/struts. How long will the OEM struts last under a 1.4 in drop from Eibach Prolines? Hate to ask such a noob question but i need to factor that into my decision and im sure someone on here has done it. Any help would be appreciated.

Josh

Re: Need help/advice concerning suspension
Wednesday, July 05, 2006 5:19 PM
To be quite honest, it would ride like crap and youd probably regret it afterwards.

To answer your question though, it depends on how/where you drive. You could blow your OEM struts on one bad pothole, over the course of a few weeks, maybe a few months of crappy roads, but eventually they will die. I'd strongly recommend you just take the deal on the springs, dont get them installed, and keep waiting till you can get some good shocks/struts.

2000 2200 Cavalier: 9/14/2000--10/23/2006
2007 G85 SS S/C: 10/23/2006--Present
Vote for me at Motortopia.com! Thanks!
Wednesday, July 05, 2006 7:09 PM
how much is this "good deal" for

if you can just get the springs, get em, spring installation is a breeze.

-Chris

Wednesday, July 05, 2006 8:01 PM
Eibach Proline = 260 installed

KYB AGXs = 550

Not bad if its all installed as i seem to be working a lot lately (damn bills steal my money).
Wednesday, July 05, 2006 8:20 PM
There are no "Proline". It's ProKit or Sportslines. There's a big difference too. The 1.4" ProKit will blow your struts as decribed above, maybe quick, maybe long time. Sports lines are a much larger drop and will kill your struts much faster (I'd be amazed if they still worked after a month of driving).

Thursday, July 06, 2006 4:19 AM
Yeah its the Prokit. Sorry about that, wrote it in a hurry..
Thursday, July 06, 2006 8:07 AM
Save your money, and have the struts installed with the springs. It's not worth the headaches of installing drop springs on stock struts.

If you have just the springs installed, they could blow on the way home from the shop, or they may last 3-4 months. It's had to tell how long they will last.

Thursday, July 06, 2006 8:26 AM
theres no tellin' when they will blow but they will blow. why get springs installed then get an alignment just to wait a month or two and then remove the struts again and replace them w/ agxs which is gonna cost you another alignment? your just gonna be wasting money

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search