Question about my new setup - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Question about my new setup
Wednesday, July 05, 2006 1:06 PM
I just put on brand new Eibach sportlines and tokico dspecs, with brand new front mounts. When i turn the wheel when the car is stopped all the way right or left, it makes a poping noise. Anyone know what it is and should i be worried? Or is it just the nature of the beast. It doesnt do it when the car is moving.

Re: Question about my new setup
Wednesday, July 05, 2006 1:27 PM
I have Tokico's too and I noticed on them that the threaded portion of the shaft that comes thru the mount isn't threaded all the way and the nut does not have the spacer that the factory nut did. I tried washers but it creaked so I removed the washers and installed a big ( 7/8 I think? ) nut that slipped right down over the struts shaft and then I installed the nut that came with the Tokico's and torqued to spec and not more "bang" or "creaking" A couple people have found the same thing on thers too.

Hope this helps and good luck!

If you need pics just ask and I'll post em as soon as I can.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Wednesday, July 05, 2006 1:35 PM
hmm....it almost soundsl ike the spring turning or something......im confused. the nut torqued all the way down.....

Wednesday, July 05, 2006 1:40 PM
the popping noise is usually the spring binding up cuz its not seated properly. jack the car up and take a look

Wednesday, July 05, 2006 1:40 PM
The nut does go all the way down, thats the problem. Its bottoming out before it can tighten to the mount.
Pull one them off and see if the threads end before the mount starts. If not your the only one whos strut shaft is threaded all the way.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Wednesday, July 05, 2006 3:37 PM
[quote=ßãggéÐÇåv98 (Ûñqùðtäߣè Øñé)]the popping noise is usually the spring binding up cuz its not seated properly. jack the car up and take a look

thats what it sounds like to me. what am i looking for?? when we put the struts together everything went good, the mounts are tight on the nut and everything, there was no slack at all.

Saturday, July 15, 2006 8:58 PM
i played wit it today after we painted it, i didnt drop the strut out, but i did turn the spring a little, to see if it had some play, and now its making that noise bad. How do i know when its seeated right?????? There should be no banging in my suspension right now, and its really getting to me. I cut the dropzone springs cause they were making noises, and i got tokicos and eibach sportlines, and just got a different dam noise........

Saturday, July 15, 2006 9:18 PM
Are you using the stock mounts with bearings? It sounds like your missing a washer between the shaft on the strut that sits on the lip so the mount is tight. I had this once due to not having any bearings with my coilovers, once i got the bearings in no more noise. But in the end the springs are binding.

Saturday, July 15, 2006 9:30 PM
Yep. Sounds like a bearing issue.

The strut and spring "turn" inside the wheel well (as you turn the car). If you are just using a strut mount with no bearing assembly beneath it, the spring has to turn against the heavy rubber underside of the strut mounting plate. It will catch on this surface, bind, and then pop back into place. Including a bearing (usually some type of roller bearing assembly) which fits between the top of the spring coil and the bottom of the strut mount plate allows the spring to turn unrestricted by the rubber. You can usually purchase just the bearings from auto stores.

I had the same problem (knowingly) when I didn't use the "more expensive" bearings in a Cavi that I was messing around with... It would pop and creak like there was no tomorrow... heh, heh. My Sunfire, however, which DID have bearings with lowering springs worked like normal...

Good luck!

L8r...

*** Need some 1995 Cavalier parts ???
*** FOR SALE: doors, windows, interior, engine parts, fenders, etc. -- email me!
Saturday, July 15, 2006 9:36 PM
hm.....im confused, i have stock upper strut mounts, theres two peices, and i thought the bottom peice turns......?? it doesnt? please someone gimme some more info, cause its driving me nucking futs. i really cant take it anymore.

Saturday, July 15, 2006 9:46 PM
Which bottom piece are you referring to?

L8r...

*** FOR SALE: doors, windows, interior, engine parts, fenders, etc. -- email me!

Saturday, July 15, 2006 9:58 PM
Here's a pic of one of the brand new strut plate/bearing assemblies that I bought. I think the part number is 904912 from Monroe (StrutMate):

The bearing (cream colored on one side, black on the other with roller or ball bearing between the plastic pieces) and the metal circular piece underneath go together.

Is that what you have?

L8r...

Sunday, July 16, 2006 5:31 AM
ya, i have a monroe strut mount, im not sure about the model num, do they come without bearings? i am confused, i think my springs are just seated wrong.

Sunday, July 16, 2006 9:41 AM
^You have the newer strut mount, it doesn't have bearings like that photo. It uses a friction bearing.
Double check the springs, but they're kinda hard to screw up. They looks really weird if they're seated wrong.
If you have bad mounts, you have to replace the whole thing. No $20 bearing part to replace.

Sunday, July 16, 2006 8:12 PM
So, it uses a friction bearing. Is that bad? where do i get other mounts?? This is really starting to piss me off. I cant even turn my wheel without it poping now. im scared its gonna blow a strut or hurt the spring..........what do i do to fix it? I just put these mounts in brand new two weeks ago

Monday, July 17, 2006 9:13 AM
Have you checked how your springs are seated yet?
The friction bearing isn't bad per-say. It's bad in that it's not replaceable, you have to replace the whole mount.

Monday, July 17, 2006 9:23 AM
okay, heres the DL. I took my wheel off today, and lowered the strut out, i didnt take off the two 21mm bolts, i could see what was going on...... there is just a flat "plate" its plastic that the top of the spring sits on. There is a divit, that the top of the spring like pushed away, i wish i would have taken pics. I dont understand how it could be seated wrong, there is nothing to it, there isnt a place that specifies where the spring should go, its just a flat circle.......

Monday, July 17, 2006 9:50 AM
Yeah, that's right. Like I said before, if it's wong it looks really weird.
You probalby got a bad mount if they're both new.

Monday, July 17, 2006 10:08 AM
there was a clear sleeve around the spring, but it was like in the middle of the spring, i moved it up a little, to where i could tell the spring was rubbing. if it doesnt make a difference, im going to move it to the top, against the mount, there was a grease under the clear sleeve, im not sure if its made so the spring can move through it, when it turns, or what, but i guess we will see. I highly doubt i got two bad mounts, i held the top part of the mount, and i could spin the bottom part fine, so i guess their okay..... any other ideas?

Tuesday, July 18, 2006 9:09 PM
o well. i moved the springs in place,to where i thought they should sit, its better, but me and my dad are gonna make something to hold the spring in place........for now its good

Tuesday, July 18, 2006 9:27 PM
What did you change?
FYI: I doubt you have bad mounts, but they normall feel fine until they have weight on them.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search