Just a small drop? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Just a small drop?
Sunday, November 18, 2007 4:50 PM
hey guys, im new to the forum and the entire j-body scene, in fact i had never even heard that term before i bought my 2003 cavalier 2 door. I had a 92 s10 lowered 3 inches and hated the rock solid ride. id like to lower my car but im scared itd end up the same way, dash raddling, dodging potholes all the time etc. So, im on the search for a smaller drop than 1.7/2.3". Something like an inch. and is there anyway to lower the car without sacrificing ride quality?I.e. a-arms? Replies are appreciated!!cheers!

Re: Just a small drop?
Sunday, November 18, 2007 5:10 PM
most common for a mild drop would be pro kit and KYB AGX's give about 1.4 inch drop all around,
I have it and love it, just waiting for better rims and tires in the spring so I can push the car a little more, that and maybe sway bars!

still rides close to the same, A little hard sometimes but I have mine set at 3 out of 4 in the front and 4-5 out of 8 in the rear.

going to drop the rear to 3 for a better ride

Sunday, November 18, 2007 5:45 PM
AGX's w/ Prokit

or

Koni Sport kit

Monday, November 19, 2007 3:55 AM
tein h techs are a 1.1" drop and if you get kyb agx struts they will work with those springs perfectly and they are also adjustable

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 5:47 PM
tien h techs work great i have them love the ride smooth
Saturday, November 24, 2007 8:10 AM
in the spring i'll be running suspension techiques 1.2" drop.., i had a 2 inch drop and my kit was less then an inch off ground

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 6:25 PM
sam torres wrote:tien h techs work great i have them love the ride smooth

ok, i will look into those. Im just curious as to how close the ride quality was to stock. The comfort of my car is my first priority, then looks..to me a low car that rides like a rock is worse than a nice riding, ugly car lol.
Thursday, November 29, 2007 8:32 AM
Tokico D-Spec kit (1.4" drop).

Fully adjustable so if you're looking for a stock-like ride, this may be the kit for you.

Don't get any coilover kits. You'll regret it when your ass is all bruised up.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edited Thursday, November 29, 2007 8:34 AM

--------------------------------------------------------
2002 Sunfire -->
- Ractive steering wheel
- ASA 17" EM9 + Nexen N5000 215/45/17 (steelies for winter)
- D-Spec Lowering kit @ 1.4" (issues currently )
- Rockford P250.1 + MTX MZS1004 + Panasonic CQ-C8313U head unit
- Barely legal tint.
Thursday, November 29, 2007 8:54 AM
firemachine69 wrote:Tokico D-Spec kit (1.4" drop).

Fully adjustable so if you're looking for a stock-like ride, this may be the kit for you.

completely wrong. if you dont know what your talking about keep it to yourself.

the people who think coilovers are bad are the people who put them on stock struts. coilovers need either koni yellows or tokico dspecs and it will ride and handle great.

Friday, November 30, 2007 1:07 PM
Yea the kit you are talking about doesn't come with d-specs and they aren't adjustable at all.
You'd be better off with the kit that i'm halfway to getting. KYB AGX and eibach pro-kit.....got the struts..saving up for the springs.
Later
Redrider02

"big boom big boom"-Adam Savage. "quack damn you"-Jamie Hyneman "mythbusters"
Friday, November 30, 2007 3:30 PM
firemachine69 wrote:Tokico D-Spec kit (1.4" drop).

probably a dumb question but this is the place to ask it, fully adjustable, does that mean i can adjust it so it sits back at stock height?and then lower it down again?so really.. if i decide instead of having a 1.4 drop i could change to a 1.0?

Friday, November 30, 2007 7:34 PM
The true D-Specs are adjustable but the kit he is talking about doesn't have those struts in it. The D-Specs adjust the softness/hardness and rebound. If you want something to raise and lower the car you're either looking at coilovers or air.
Later
Redrider02

Saturday, December 01, 2007 6:10 AM
Another looked over spring that has a nice ride would be the H&R Sport spring. That was a really nice spring especially matched up with KYB AGX struts. They are rated 1.6"F 1.4"R.

2009 Ford Mustang V6
Saturday, December 01, 2007 7:03 AM
redrider02 wrote:Yea the kit you are talking about doesn't come with d-specs and they aren't adjustable at all.
You'd be better off with the kit that i'm halfway to getting. KYB AGX and eibach pro-kit.....got the struts..saving up for the springs.

Yes it does come with the D-Specs and they are adjustable. He's talking about the Tokico DSK501 kit which has the D-Specs. Your confusing it with the Tokico HPK291 which has the HP Struts, that's the kit I have and it does ride good, firmer and more aggressive than stock, but not harsh. The D-Spec Kit uses the same springs, but with D-Spec Struts.

If your on a budget and don't need the adjustability of the D-Specs, then the HP kit is good. If you wan't to go from a nearly stock soft ride to a firm performance type ride then the D-Specs would be the better choice.

If your interested in either Tokico Kit, talk to Jason at A-Plus Performance, he'll get you a great deal.

Saturday, December 01, 2007 8:09 AM
Sorry I guess when I heard it lowered only 1.4 I thought it was the kit you recieved. Kind of weird they would only use 1.4 lowering springs when they can handle much more.....guess it's probably the warranty thing.
Later
Redrider02

Monday, December 03, 2007 12:21 PM
ok so hows this sound.
tein h tech lowering springs and tokico d-spec struts?

*focusing mainly on a stock-like ride quality
Tuesday, December 04, 2007 10:11 AM
ok im a little new to the suspension scene.. ive read through what ever i could on the fourm about ebay specials and i found a set of springs, although they are cheaper than other high end springs they seem to have a small drop 1.1 front .9 rear.. has any one ever had experience with these?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-04-CHEVY-CAVALIER-LOWERING-SPRINGS-SPRING-01-02-03_W0QQitemZ260189127686QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item260189127686
Tuesday, December 04, 2007 12:40 PM
You've be better saving for a better set up.......you don't want to go cheap on anything related to your suspension.
I've got kyb agx's now and i'm slowly saving up for my pro-kit springs........also make sure you're not using the stock struts/shocks.....they aren't ment for anything other than stock springs.
Later
Redrider02

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search