Coil Over Terminology - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Coil Over Terminology
Tuesday, May 06, 2008 11:46 AM
Had a thought for you all.
We refer to coil overs as adjustable suspension. In the automotive industry they refer to coil overs as the spring over the strut (We know some cars like the mustang etc.. have the spring seperate from the spring). Which would be the correct terminology for either set up.

2004 Grand Prix GTP (Competition Group)
SOLD-->1999 Z24 5M-#30 to register on JBO
"You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all the people'
all the time

Re: Coil Over Terminology
Tuesday, May 06, 2008 12:01 PM
Both are correct terminology. You just have to know your audience.

If I were just talking about the geometry, I'd say something like "coil over strut" whereas when you say "coilovers" as one word, it's generally referring to the aftermarket adjustable perch setup we all know and love.

Only time I'd really use the former would be when asking a question though. "Is it coil over strut, or are they separate?"

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 12:06 PM
Good point.
Just throwing that out there for disscussion. Mr. Weasel not sure when you joined, it is your ten year mark yet. I can't believe it will be 10 years in 2009 for me.

2004 Grand Prix GTP (Competition Group)
SOLD-->1999 Z24 5M-#30 to register on JBO
"You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all the people'
all the time

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 12:23 PM
I really have no idea. I think it was late 99 or early 00 or so. I am one of those without a join date... so I've been here since the beginning of time.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search