Think its fixable? Tein SS coilover - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Think its fixable? Tein SS coilover
Tuesday, May 06, 2008 5:25 PM
Well I just got a good look at my Tein SS suspension today since the accident last month. Do you think its fixable or does anyone know a place to order a single strut for under $300? I need to get it done ASAP too

Click Sig for Jersey GM's Official Website

Re: Think its fixable? Tein SS coilover
Tuesday, May 06, 2008 5:32 PM
call tein, tell them what happened

swapped, supercharged, intercooled, 2.9, fun
Tuesday, May 06, 2008 5:36 PM
Did that, they are trying to cram a new strut down my throat, and they didnt even look at the pics yet. They really havent helped the past 3 times I called them concerning it either, other than telling me 500 for a new coilover.............

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 5:43 PM
Looks like the top of the shaft is bent. Its junk if that is the case. Just from the ripped strut to knuckle mount I would say its junked.

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 5:53 PM
Checked the top, no problem with it at all, the reason the mount looks like that is due to the pillow ball mount being moved by my hand.

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 6:04 PM
you dont have the other pieces of the strut? like the parts that are not on there? are those flanges also bent?

ECOtec DOHC

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 6:08 PM
$500 for a coilover that's only $350 or less as a kit?

-M

Remember....syringes go in the RED waste basket.
Tuesday, May 06, 2008 6:10 PM
cause its just one!! lol.

ECOtec DOHC

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 6:16 PM
Mastin: Its all crap, its just a business trying to make more money than what the thing is really worth. Its kinda pissing me off to know I spent the money on it and didnt even get to enjoy it the 6 months it was on the car.

Paul: All the parts for the strut are on the strut. The tape is holding the 2 tabs that broke off from the spindle screw part. I noticed nothing was bent other than the part that connects to the spindle.

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 6:22 PM
i think its toast.

the rod is bent which would require revalving and a new piston. then the knuckle would have to be cut off and a new one welded back on. for the metal fab and labor you could prob jsut buy a new one

My car may run 18s, but I can do your taxes in 10 seconds flat.
JBO lube - they would never have enough in stock and we'd never see RodimusPrime again
Tuesday, May 06, 2008 6:27 PM
Personally i wouldn't ever want that put back on my car. I'd have to agree with just buy a new one. @!#$ happens that'll cost you more, I wouldn't wanna try to "make it work"
but thats just me

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 6:27 PM
it just looks like welding needs to be done to get those tabs back on. but those have to go on right or your camber might change. and welded right. like 3 times over lol. you dont want those just magically coming off!! a shop can get those flanges straight again.

ECOtec DOHC

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 6:36 PM
Stephen (manta z) wrote:Personally i wouldn't ever want that put back on my car. I'd have to agree with just buy a new one. @!#$ happens that'll cost you more, I wouldn't wanna try to "make it work"
but thats just me

Thank you.

I agree.

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 6:59 PM
ok i dont see the bent rod, and i've been looking at it all day...... Maybe Im confused but paying $100 at Tein to fix the strut is a hell of alot better than spending around 500 for a coilover without the SS mount.... If I wanna spend the 500 on a single strut I rather order a entire Tein SS Package for 1200 than.

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 8:01 PM
Regardless the strut body is junk now. The correct way to fix it is to replace it.

Single parts cost more than they would as a kit because there is more involved in the process. Why do you think that when you go to a dealer to buy a clip or retainer you have to buy a package of them? If they were all separate then you would have more packages and handling of parts to deal with. Thats just how its done.

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 8:31 PM
Quote:

Maybe Im confused but paying $100 at Tein to fix the strut is a hell of a lot better than spending around 500 for a coilover without the SS mount

That makes more sense.

middr774: I'm aware of the practices. I was just a little confused because for about $600 you can get a 2 sets of springs and have all 4 struts re-valved anyway.
But the 2.0 has it all worked out.

-M

Remember....syringes go in the RED waste basket.
Tuesday, May 06, 2008 9:45 PM
Paul Chavez wrote:it just looks like welding needs to be done to get those tabs back on. but those have to go on right or your camber might change. and welded right. like 3 times over lol. you dont want those just magically coming off!! a shop can get those flanges straight again.

Having a machine shop weld new tabs on isn't really an option anyway.. The heat from welding would likely ruin the internals of the strut. It needs to be completely disassembled before it can be welded. Thats probably why he's trying to get tein to do the repair job

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 10:44 PM
I would definitely not try to get a shop to weld new brackets on. As sleepy said, you risk damaging the strut internals if you don't disassemble it.

That being said, I think it's bullsh!t that Tein won't help you after you purchased a $1200 product from them. At the very least, they should be able to sell just the strut, with no spring or mount, for far less than $500. You should not have to buy an entire spring/strut/mount assembly, and not at those prices. A replacement part like that is not about making money, it's about customer service for someone who already spent money with you. They should not lose anything, since it's not a warrantee thing, but they definitely shouldn't be pushing up their margins on it. Have you tried going through the company you bought them from? Sometimes when a manufacturer won't help a customer who calls them up, the dealer that has a relationship with the sales rep can pull some strings for you, especially if they're willing to go to bat for you.

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 3:30 AM
ha its funny reading the responses from the people saying the shaft is bent. you can clearly see the shaft is straight. welcome to the world of pillow ball mounts.

anyway i hate to say it but i think your screwed on it. unless you can take the knuckle off (which i highly doubt) you may be stuck getting another strut.

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 3:54 AM
AWD GS wrote:ha its funny reading the responses from the people saying the shaft is bent. you can clearly see the shaft is straight. welcome to the world of pillow ball mounts.

anyway i hate to say it but i think your screwed on it. unless you can take the knuckle off (which i highly doubt) you may be stuck getting another strut.

Its funny how it looks like the very top is bent. If you dont know it has pillow ball mounts then it sure looks bent. I saw no mention of pillow ball mounts until after it had been said that the top looked bent. BTW WTF does taking the knuckle off have to do with the strut being repaired??????

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 4:01 AM
the tein ss suspension comes with pillow ball mounts.

the only problem with the strut is the knuckle. if it was able to be removed then that could be replaced hence fixing the problem. although its more than likely all welded together and wont come off. i should know the answer since i had these on my cav but they were only on but never driven on.

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 6:27 AM
bend the knuckle tabs back to straight and repair the bottom holes by welding to fix.

let us know how it turns out. i sure hope you dont wreck again.

Riddle me this... riddle me that...
Wednesday, May 07, 2008 6:55 AM
z yaaaa (the riddler) wrote:bend the knuckle tabs back to straight and repair the bottom holes by welding to fix.

The problem with straightening those and welding the holes is that the metal has now been severely stressed (enough to break it the first time!), and it will not be as strong as it was before. The plates themselves need to be replaced, but doing that requires the guts to be out of the strut so the internals don't get damaged. You don't want to take an important component like that and reuse stressed steel that has been bent and straightened, and then welded.

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 6:57 AM
A machine shop wont be touching these. I will be using tein regardless of price, but I know I shouldnt have to pay for something that should be fixable. I get my answer back today from tein since I emailed them the pictures last night. I didnt contact the company I purchased these from yet, I didnt think they would help me at all, but its worth a shot now too.

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 12:42 PM
/sarcasm

Riddle me this... riddle me that...
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search