People With Bear Disc Conversion Look Here!!! - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
People With Bear Disc Conversion Look Here!!!
Thursday, October 30, 2008 10:57 PM
I have a question about the parking brake on the Baer conversion.. I bought the car with the rear conversion on the car already and the parking brake never worked on it since i bought the car about 4 years ago. I finally did a brake job for the first time 70k miles on the brakes.
I tried adjusting the cable but its way to short on the passenger side. So i disconnected the cable from the caliper so that the brakes wouldnt drag. Did anyone else have this problem? Or is there an adjustment on the e-brake handle itself?

If you could post pictures of your ebrake cables! Thanks!

Re: People With Bear Disc Conversion Look Here!!!
Friday, October 31, 2008 10:03 AM
In a stunning display of how bored I am Friday at work, I decided to do an artist's rendition of this thread's title. I do apologize for not actually contributing to a solution for your problem. Hopefully someone else can chime in with useful info.

Shop Manuals, Brochures:www.kenmcgeeautobooks.com
Friday, October 31, 2008 10:13 AM
LOL Thanks anyways lol

Tuesday, November 04, 2008 9:33 PM
You have to have someone pull on the E- brake cable thats attached to the caliper and have someone pull on the main E-brake cable itself, its a real tight fit, but it will reach and work

Wednesday, November 05, 2008 5:26 AM
Geeky wrote:In a stunning display of how bored I am Friday at work, I decided to do an artist's rendition of this thread's title. I do apologize for not actually contributing to a solution for your problem. Hopefully someone else can chime in with useful info.

he said REAR.....geez.

you could also try to get a slightly longer cable.

Wednesday, November 05, 2008 8:44 PM
03supercharged wrote:You have to have someone pull on the E- brake cable thats attached to the caliper and have someone pull on the main E-brake cable itself, its a real tight fit, but it will reach and work

Or just pull your center console and adjust the cable at the handle....the handle has a clock spring that takes up the slack in the system. Pop the spring follower ratchet thingy and lift up the handle, let go of the spring follower ratchet thingy and drop the handle...boom...all the slack is out. // you may have to do it a few times depending on how much slack you have/need.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, November 05, 2008 8:45 PM

<table>hello</table>
Thursday, November 06, 2008 8:39 AM
Yeah, the stock cables work fine. If it's too short, it needs to be pulled out. It's likely that the self adjusting mechanism has drawn it back. Make sure the handle is down and then pull it out.

Then you need to ensure that the tension is properly set. Read through the instructions here on how to set it up:

http://www.wildweasel.ca/HowTo/Auto/J-Body/BaerRear.aspx

Thursday, November 06, 2008 8:48 AM
Actually... it just occurred to me that I think the kit came with the cable ends... so I suppose it's possible that if they weren't installed then you may have issues.

Maybe someone who's dealt with it more recently than I can clarify. Or call Baer and find out whether you need custom cable ends. In my installation page I noted that you need "compatable parking brake cables". I don't imagine I'd have put that there if the OEM ones worked fine. Note that this doesn't involve the part that goes back to the brake handle in the car. This is only the parts that go to the calipers themselves, which are separate.

Thursday, November 06, 2008 12:05 PM
John Benham wrote:
Geeky wrote:In a stunning display of how bored I am Friday at work, I decided to do an artist's rendition of this thread's title. I do apologize for not actually contributing to a solution for your problem. Hopefully someone else can chime in with useful info.

he said REAR.....geez.

you could also try to get a slightly longer cable.

John, the title of the thread is "People With Bear Disc Conversion Look Here!!!"

Im having trouble finding the word REAR anywhere in there.

Thursday, November 06, 2008 12:40 PM
FWIW, that bear photochop is WICKED!!!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search