ABS Light + Brake Light + No Rear Brakes..... - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
ABS Light + Brake Light + No Rear Brakes.....
Thursday, January 29, 2009 2:49 PM
First off, I've already searched and came up with multiple different answers/suggestions that don't really help me.

The other day my ABS light came on as well as the e-brake/brake light. I noticed the car felt bouncy whenever I would come to stops. Turns out, the back brakes aren't working at all. If I pull the e-brake they lock up fine, but not when just applying the regular foot brake. I did notice that if I turn the ignition off while driving the car, turn the key to the on position, and pop the clutch to start it, the lights stay off and the brakes work fine. But if I start the car with the starter, the lights come on and the rear brakes don't work. Fluid level checks out fine and there are no noticeable leaks to be found. Any suggestions?

2010 Subaru Impreza WRX Limited
1999 Cavalier Z24 Supercharged
1999 Grand AM SE (Beater Car)
1997 GMC Sierra
2007 Honda CBR 600RR
2005 Honda TRX450R

Re: ABS Light + Brake Light + No Rear Brakes.....
Thursday, January 29, 2009 2:51 PM
hm...that is odd. could it be a vacuum issue? maybe starting with the starter is causing an issue with too much or too little vacuum to the booster?

Thursday, January 29, 2009 4:07 PM
no, with it beinig described with the starting sequence, and only a problem when the lights are on, it leads me to believe more something like the ABS unit.

I would have it scanned to confirm, but tat is the only thing I have heard of that can make the rear brakes inop, especially intermitantly.

Friday, January 30, 2009 4:15 PM
I've had a similar problem with my 99 sunfire. The rear brakes would lock up when i hit the brakes. I then replaced everything brake relatet at the wheels and new brake fluid and the problem stopped for awhile. But i still had the abs light and brake light on. And now it is starting to lock up on the rear right side. When i hit the brakes you can feel more pressure go to that wheel.

I had it scanned before and just the other day and everything is fine. The wheels sensors read fine and all that but does throw a code. And the code came back to 3 things in which one was the abs module. Also if i go down the road about 40mph and shut it off and start it back up the lights go off and my abs works fine..

John you have any ideas on what it could be on my case? i have a whole abs module to brake booster but haven't got around to changing it.
Tuesday, February 03, 2009 2:48 PM
I have almost this same problem with my 02 sunfire except I have not noticed the brakes failing to work. My e-brake light is on along with my abs light. My buddy said that the abs light could be on cause of the module getting wet or something like that. If you find the solution please do post it.
Sunday, February 15, 2009 6:57 PM
I've been so busy lately I haven't had a chance too look at it. After some more research, I found out a few things. Even when I do the trick to make the ABS light and e-brake light go off, the rear brakes still do not work. Twice last week, however, the lights went off on their own and everything seemed to function fine. But that only lasted for a few minutes and the lights came back on with no rear brakes. Makes me think the master cylinder is bad. Would you guys agree?

2010 Subaru Impreza WRX Limited
1999 Cavalier Z24 Supercharged
1999 Grand AM SE (Beater Car)
1997 GMC Sierra
2007 Honda CBR 600RR
2005 Honda TRX450R
Monday, February 16, 2009 5:26 PM
Not a problem with the master, as each chamber controls one front and one rear circuit. Most likely something with the ABS module.

14.330 @ 96.37mph
Saturday, February 28, 2009 3:31 PM
Just reading the first post screams abs module. The only other thing it could be is the wheel sensors however it is very very unlikely that both wheel sensors are fried vs. 1 abs module. That what my money is on.
Sunday, March 01, 2009 2:04 PM
I would say ABS module, and if its a pre 2k, its part of the master.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search