stiffer rear springs - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
stiffer rear springs
Sunday, April 26, 2009 12:10 PM
Hi! So as some of you know, I run some pretty hefty stereo gear in my car, approximately an extra 300+ pounds in the rear. Do they make stiffer OEM ride height springs for heavy loads for our cars?

Re: stiffer rear springs
Sunday, April 26, 2009 2:30 PM
Not really.
Unless you have some specially made from a spring company, you're really stuck with what you have.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Sunday, April 26, 2009 4:17 PM
what about figuring out the rate and then buying some racing springs like we run in the correct height?
http://www.bluecoilspring.com/
Sunday, April 26, 2009 5:02 PM
The best way I can think of would be to purchase a set of lowering springs, chop the perches, and have them rewelded higher up the strut. If you use race springs you'd have to pretty much do coilovers. It all depends on how much you want to spend on the project.

Remember that even at stock ride height, increased spring rate requires better struts like Konis, AGXs, or D-Specs.

Monday, April 27, 2009 2:10 PM
I can't prove it, but I bet the convertible springs are stiffer than the coupe/sedan springs. They weigh a couple hundred pounds more than the coupes/sedans, and they seem to have a higher (stock) ride height, presumably to get longer suspension travel. (The stock third-gen convertible pictures you see seem to show a larger fender gap than the coupes/sedans. But then, the whole thing might just be in my mind.) If you want, I have a set of 'vert springs at home and I can measure the wire diameter and free length for you. (I mounted a set of Tokico springs/struts in my 'vert.)

Tuesday, April 28, 2009 2:29 PM
Bag it.
/thread

Tinkles

2003 Cavalier 1SV
Bagged and Blown

Tuesday, April 28, 2009 4:43 PM
Tinkles wrote:Bag it.
/thread

this. you need switches.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Tuesday, April 28, 2009 5:57 PM
Kyle - Ima have to have some sort of trailer just for the air ride then.

Rich - can you check at work if they're two different part numbers for the rear springs for the vert and the coupe?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search