Air Ride? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Air Ride?
Tuesday, October 20, 2009 3:26 PM
I was curious how many bagged cavaliers there where on here? I see alot of them in show coverage on sites and quite a few on the readers rides area on street source mag. However, Its not what I am looking for. I am looking for a cavalier like no other.. I have many friends who can fabricate and I also can myself. So, My question is, I wanna lay the body on the ground w/ just a lip kit, I dont want a gaudy body kit. Also I wanna lay it out on 18s. This is going to be my girls car.... I bought another bagged truck and when I was about to sell my car she decided she wanted a project car for winter. So were going to try to lay kit on 18s. FLAT none of the front higher or back higher stuff... What were trying to do is just get this thing laid. I have been trying to possibly mock up some custom suspension arms and possibly go with a custom cantilever setup in the trunk. Still deciding and looking for information from anyone who may already have bagged one and went the extra mile to get it to actually lay out and tuck some rim. Thanks in advance, Also please post pics of some bagged cavi's if you got any pics

Re: Air Ride?
Tuesday, October 20, 2009 7:49 PM
there was a cavy that was cantilevered at a show 2 weeks ago but it was on a tube chassis.
Wednesday, October 21, 2009 4:50 PM
It's not hard at all to lay the stock lips. Once i get me a front lip mine will lay, i had to get used tires on the back wich are bigger than the size i usually run, but with proper tire size teh back is i'd say abou 1/2 from laying.

Wednesday, October 21, 2009 5:51 PM
with stock lips and a easy street kit your really close.. if you run like a buddy club 2 style kit you will lay on 18's im pretty sure. the car in my sig was on 19's with stock sides at one time but was so low i shattered them from being to low..... well theres no to low but you get it lol...

Wednesday, October 21, 2009 6:15 PM
my import fighter get pretty low. but nothing touches ground. im on 18s

Saturday, October 24, 2009 6:30 PM
I lay frame on 18s and modded struts.
Sunday, October 25, 2009 1:34 PM
On 20" wheels and nothing touches the ground. Had to modify the rear bumper so it would not touch, however the tires stop the inner of the wheel wells from going any lower.

Just how I like it.

FOR SALE
Sunday, October 25, 2009 6:35 PM
its like a second parking brake lol, im with ya on the rear.
Sunday, October 25, 2009 6:51 PM
I never use my parking brake when my car is layed out.

Tinkles

2003 Cavalier 1SV
Bagged and Blown

Monday, October 26, 2009 5:12 AM
Who needs to when your tire is against the wheel well right?

FOR SALE

Monday, October 26, 2009 1:00 PM
ive often wondered what the results would be to blow a line while driving it on the highway, having one wheel drop all the way down and instantly stop because its sitting on the well.......

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Monday, October 26, 2009 5:37 PM
Probably wouldnt be any worse than having a tire blow out, but after the tire blows out from all the friction and heat from the wheel wells i image it would be a "fun" ride.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, October 26, 2009 8:54 PM

Tinkles

2003 Cavalier 1SV
Bagged and Blown

Monday, October 26, 2009 8:51 PM
I've often tried NOT to think about that Jason... especially not in your stage after paint is so perfect.

FOR SALE
Tuesday, October 27, 2009 3:35 PM
Had it happen, was only going about 45 tho. It's the nastiest sound you can imagine with the tire rubbing against the well. Other than the car filling up with smoke from the rubbing, i lost no control and just pulled onto the next street and waited for someone to bring me more line.

Tuesday, October 27, 2009 6:19 PM
Ive always been concerned about ripping tire cause my rear towers sit on the tires in the rear, but I ordered smaller tires now so the car will probably roll all the way down on 235/30/22s instead of my horribly oversized 265/35/22s lol Since I've only driven the car a couple times when I first put the 22s on the rear, I havent really had to worry about that tho lol

Thursday, October 29, 2009 3:18 PM
Jaysona1(Drag it to death) wrote:Had it happen, was only going about 45 tho. It's the nastiest sound you can imagine with the tire rubbing against the well. Other than the car filling up with smoke from the rubbing, i lost no control and just pulled onto the next street and waited for someone to bring me more line.

Same thing happened to me when my line blew...but mine blew due to a faulty water trap exploding. Lots and lots of smoke but that was about it.

Thursday, October 29, 2009 11:57 PM
i had the gauge line at the tank come off before and the whole car droped and fronts were rubbing for a min till i could pull over... it was an experience lol

Tuesday, November 03, 2009 7:11 PM
sndsgood wrote:ive often wondered what the results would be to blow a line while driving it on the highway, having one wheel drop all the way down and instantly stop because its sitting on the well.......

I had an AIM fitting blow apart on my tank and lost all PSI.
All 4 went up in smoke as I drug to a stop from 55mph.
I snapped the AIM fitting back together and drove about 40 miles to my house.
I replaced every AIM fitting the next day.

Sunday, November 08, 2009 9:13 PM
if u actually wanna lay plan on putting a cell in the car. laying hat channel will put stock tank 1/4" off the ground. The k member will hold you up in the front havent figured out how to lose it yet without major job

by the way spencer u have a unibody not a frame
Monday, November 09, 2009 9:06 AM
ok, subframe is what i meant.

Monday, November 09, 2009 3:31 PM
I wouldn't worry bout the subframe, it's doing a might fine job protecting your engine and tranny from dragging. Just notch the subframe where the a-arms are and lay the whole subframe on the ground. I believe it was spencer that did this first, i have since done it also. It's just to tempting for me to dragg the piss out of the subframe tho, hope i never forget if the blocks are not under the car.

Monday, November 09, 2009 4:00 PM
I have been laying k member in a j for 7 years. I'm not worried bout my motor and tranny they r out of the way. I raised them so i would quit draggin thru my tranny pan. I am no sure why u guys had to notch your subframe for the arms I just went out and jacked my arm up to the point where id basically be tucking lug (my suspenion is out while I'm doing my built motor) and still had clearance that the arm wouldn't hit. I have a 95 sunfire k member same as spencer so I don't know what the reason some hit and some don't.
Monday, November 09, 2009 7:14 PM
when i had my air on my arms were hitting when all they way down. i went threw 6 trans pans so good idea lifting the motor i always wanted to do that but got rid of the air so no more worries

Monday, November 09, 2009 7:20 PM
Yellow22-When did u get rid of your air and why? You were one of the original draggers with me
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search