Stock Suspension, abnormally rough ride? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Stock Suspension, abnormally rough ride?
Friday, December 18, 2009 10:38 AM
Hey folks, last February I obtained a Y2K Cavy, a Z24. This is my first post here, I look forward to offering any info I can, have a good amount of experience just new to the J bodys.

Well earlier in the week I decided to change the rear struts, they were NOT leaking nor did the car fail the bounce test, but rust was starting to eat into the cylinder pretty good, and I can get parts cheap so I figure hey thats just good preventative maintenance.

So I get the struts torn apart, and the casualties are a completely done strut mount (little metal cylinder peice separated from the rubber completely) so that explains my knocking sound in the back, As well as both struts being the wost Ive ever seen, pushed the rod down with one finger and they bottomed out and stayed there.

So I put the struts back together, get them on the car, and slam the wheels on and go riding, and let me tell you, the difference is night and day. Taking winding corners at 100km+ was scary before, I thought it was a j body thing since high speed cornering was the last of GMs worries when designing our cars. Now the car feels tight and secure, 100% improvement since I had been driving the car daily with bad struts since last February, cause like I say, they didn't bounce and were bone dry, if the mount didn't start acting up I would still be on them today. The only things is....the cars ride quality is that of a soap box derby racer wooden wheels and all.

Which brings me to my question, In your guys experience does the stock J with stock Mcphereson struts always ride so firm? Its unlike any other car Ive felt, EVERY imperfection in the road resonates through the entire car. Now Ive seen bad reviews of the 3rd gens, and heard many a hater spew about the horrible ride quality. So just wondering what others experience is.

A little info, I replaced with AC Delco struts, which is what they call for and I want to keep the car as stock sell-able as possible in case I find something better, I plan on keeping it, just don't want to put all my eggs in one basket yet(money into one car).

And Im, as always, using correct tire pressure for the stock 205/55/16 I have on there for winter. Im especially concerned because my summer wheels(see pic if it works) are a 17 inch rim with 205/40's. So if it rides like crap now, I cant imagine what summer will be like with the lo pros.

Thanks,

Mike

Re: Stock Suspension, abnormally rough ride?
Friday, December 18, 2009 10:48 AM
Ok pic didnt work, tried to upload it to my profile thing and its to big.....Dont know how to resize, but if people really want to see it I could get someone to resize it, its a stock black 2000 z24, 17" bright white 10 spoke wheels on kumho ecstas, looks really slick.

Friday, December 18, 2009 11:02 AM
save it to photobucket or imgshack then get the link that starts with img and copy/paste

Friday, December 18, 2009 3:17 PM
Here's a pic of the the car(hopefully) I actually have footy of the strut R&R I made for youtube, havent got it on this computer unfortunately all I have is cell phone pics of it.

This one was taken in the p lot of one of my jobs after I picked up these rims and tires cheap off kijiji, 550 clams and the tires were a little under 50%, the rims are just cheap imports, the centre cap says " IKON" but who knows if thats the actual brand of the rim, no markings just where made and sizes, dual bolt patterns. they were in good condition and they werent stock so I got em, god how i Loathe stockies, or worse....steelies.

Here goes

[URL=http://img23.imageshack.us/i/automobiles013.jpg/][/URL

Friday, December 18, 2009 3:30 PM
I've only rode on my 100k+ stockers so idk about ride quality but 205/40 is small for our cars, they'll work but 215/45, 225/45 or 215/50 are better options that will keep the speedo semi-correct

Friday, December 18, 2009 3:43 PM
225/45 is probably the closest in a 17" IMO.

Friday, December 18, 2009 3:45 PM
It actually is but the other two are within 3% and 215/45 is usually used for a more low profile look

Friday, December 18, 2009 4:13 PM
Thanks for the quick replies, yeah I know the tire size is a little small for the car but im all about deals and thats what was already mounted and balanced on the rim, when I replace I will look into some of the sizes mentioned above. I didnt notice a decrease in fuel mileage with the rims and 205/40's, being that the overall diameter of the wheel would be smaller than stock, strangely it actually went up, which could have been the higher tire pressure I was using or maybe the injector cleaner kicked in who knows.

But are stock well functioning struts always so firm? I know they will soften over time but I have done lots of struts on other cars and never had such a drastic change. Who knows maybe my AC Delco struts are sub par quality? I figured I got 9 years out of the original gm struts, and theres no way the body will last 9 more years up here in canada, not being garage kept. so I figured I and potentially future owners were safe.

BTW if anyone knows the auto in this car, the gt40 i think....maybe, does it have an advanced enough system to detect the change in wheel circumfrence? or would the shift points indeed be a little off? just wondering if anyone knows just curious.

Friday, December 18, 2009 4:39 PM
I'm sure AC Delco struts are not sub par but you shouldn't have a firm ride, idk. If you're shifter has PRND321, then you have the 4t40e. I don't think it's that advanced but you never know

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search