DUMB PEOPLE - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
DUMB PEOPLE
Friday, January 22, 2010 8:51 AM
long story short girlfriends car blue up. got another engine for it. her step father wanted to help by getting the old engine out... so the numb nutz took out the front struts!!!!! just to remove the engine and tranny.. I really need some help on how to get these things back in. whats some tips and tricks to doing them.. my first time with struts. i just need to have this car out of the garage by sunday. thanks a million to all you that choose to help.

ZCraig

Re: DUMB PEOPLE
Friday, January 22, 2010 9:52 AM
i think your the numb nutz if you cant figure out how to bolt a strut in. its 5 bolts not that hard

Friday, January 22, 2010 9:54 AM
I was told i need a spring compressor..... So i don't according to you yellow

ZCraig
Friday, January 22, 2010 9:58 AM
you only need a spring compressor if the springs have been removed from the struts.

Friday, January 22, 2010 10:15 AM
unless it has poly control arm bushings there should not be a problem.
If it does ..... then you need a pry bar on the control arm and the frame to lower the knuckle down enough to get the bolts to line up.
Friday, January 22, 2010 3:23 PM
First step: Get a manual
Second step: Get familiar with the manual sections (particularly about suspension)
Third step: Read
Last step: Execute procedures.

I'll even email you a copy of a manual. How about that? If you need a spring compressor, just borrow one from a local part store. They do require a deposit, just in case you decide to keep it. Don't work on jacks. Use jack stands. Safety is key. Borrow a torque wrench and use it. While you have the suspension apart, clean and grease accordingly. Replace anything that is worn out.

--------------------------
NCR-SCCA
Friday, January 22, 2010 3:31 PM
oddly enough that 'numb nuts' was close to the actual GM recommend engine pulling procedure....

Trailer Queen corvette wanna-be with 40 coats of wax and powdercoating that soaks in.
Friday, January 22, 2010 3:42 PM
z yaaaa wrote:oddly enough that 'numb nuts' was close to the actual GM recommend engine pulling procedure....

X2

When I pull an engine in these, I take it out with the subframe/front suspension/ect...Right out the bottom.

Friday, January 22, 2010 4:59 PM
I'm a little curious how you planned on getting the tranny out without disconnecting the struts.

Friday, January 22, 2010 11:51 PM
I break free the lower ball joint, take the axle nut off and use a pry bar to pry down the lower control arm, and slide the axle out of the spindle and pull the axles out of tranny. i don't take the struts out of the car.

Saturday, January 23, 2010 12:25 AM
sorry about your blue motor. lol

Saturday, January 23, 2010 3:20 PM
doublecross wrote:I break free the lower ball joint, take the axle nut off and use a pry bar to pry down the lower control arm, and slide the axle out of the spindle and pull the axles out of tranny. i don't take the struts out of the car.
I was looking forward to hearing from the OP since he described the guy helping him as a numb nuts for taking out the struts to remove the engine and tranny. Obviously that's another way to do it, but taking the struts out isn't a wrong move.

Monday, January 25, 2010 6:39 AM
Quiklilcav wrote:I'm a little curious how you planned on getting the tranny out without disconnecting the struts.

Sorry it took so long to reply but I'm getting pretty quick at swapping engines in these Jbody's. i just bring the whole thing up in on engine and tranny.

1. Place on jack stands.
2. unplug all sensors drain fluids
3. remove axles.
4. disconnect the exhaust and intake manifold.
5. remove all hoses.
6. attach the chain.
7. And then use your hoist. to make it tense.
8. remove your lower engine mount cradle arm. i think it is.. .its on the passenger side, and all your other mount bolts. make sure you leave your mounts on your engine.
9. remove your engine with out even touching your struts. 8)

I have been replacing both 2.2 and 2.4 this way my girlfriends a 2.2 mines the 2.4 both only took me two days to swap thanks to still being in high school (rolling my eyes) if you need pictures shoot me a pm and i will get them to you through an email address

and i got the engine in and running on Saturday.

ZCraig
Monday, January 25, 2010 9:23 AM
how did u get the axles out without touching the struts dumb dumb?

it boggles my mined as to how someone can pull a motor, but not be able to put struts in...

Monday, January 25, 2010 4:52 PM
disconnect the lower portion of the strut from the control arm and then you can pop the axles out and flip them out of the way. you don't need to take them out really

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Tuesday, January 26, 2010 4:23 PM
^^ Yes, but to call someone a numbnuts for removing them, and not knowing how to get them in, indicates some issues IMO.

Wednesday, January 27, 2010 5:02 AM
oh i dont disagree with that. i was just stating it can be done withoug pulling them out of the car.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Thursday, January 28, 2010 7:02 PM
yeah thats been established already they didn't need to come out but like was said earlier he was pretty close on how to remove the engine and trans procedure.

also if the engine blew why are you pulling the trans. 5spds just have to offset the hoist to pull on the passenger side of the engine first to pull it out on an angle. use a jack to support the trans as it will come up too.

if its an auto the engine will pull pretty much straight out

JBO since July 30, 2001
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search