eibach sway bars - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
eibach sway bars
Friday, January 22, 2010 3:44 PM
i have an 05 sunfire, just wondering (i'm newb to suspension) how do i know if the car have a front sway bar, and if not how hard is it to find the install kit so i can add it.

Re: eibach sway bars
Saturday, January 23, 2010 7:51 PM
The rear sway bar is not hard at all. The front is the one that is the hard one. if you don't have a lot of experience with working on suspension i don't recommend doing it our self. Kinda hard
Saturday, January 23, 2010 8:54 PM
well... you can crawl under the car best you can and feel up around the REAR of the front lower control arms. the sway bar will be attached to it via rubber bushings attached in a row of like 4 of them i believe. picture 4 bushings stacked on top of each other with a bolt going through them. the sway bar is attached by this to the control arm.

as far as a kit, a few companies make the front. eibach and addco are the popular ones. actually.. come to think of it, i dont recall ever seeing or hearing about a different brand front sway, could be wrong though...

Sunday, January 24, 2010 4:28 PM
Sorry to threadjack marc. But do the sway bars reduce ground clearance?
Sunday, January 24, 2010 6:33 PM
Shane Reid wrote:Sorry to threadjack marc. But do the sway bars reduce ground clearance?

no they do not in either situation.

my carDomain updated 10/31/09 Forged and Supercharged

Sunday, January 24, 2010 6:36 PM
s1lver_N1p (forum_Naz1) wrote:
Shane Reid wrote:Sorry to threadjack marc. But do the sway bars reduce ground clearance?

no they do not in either situation.

actually... the rear does. it sits below the rear axle.

Tuesday, January 26, 2010 5:20 PM
Damn. Mufflers already scrap the ground when going up a steep car wash ramp. Don't know how you lowered guys do with sway bars :p
Wednesday, January 27, 2010 6:15 AM
Your sway bar will not rub on the ground.

Milt Burns, milt@neverenoughauto.com 877-609-6727
Wednesday, January 27, 2010 6:37 AM
also i thought there was certain way you had to mount the front eibach sway bar, there was a thread on here saying how to do it.

Wednesday, January 27, 2010 10:16 AM
Shane Reid wrote:Damn. Mufflers already scrap the ground when going up a steep car wash ramp. Don't know how you lowered guys do with sway bars :p

thats because they are the furtherest, lowest point from the rear tires. the angle is what gets you.

the sway bar hangs below the rear axle, that is pretty close to parallel to the rear tires. so.. for the sway bar to scrape you would need to completely bottom out the rear of the car.

Friday, January 29, 2010 5:02 AM
now that the rear is ok........my concern is the front.......how hard? can i get a aftermarket install kit.? any recommendiations?

Saturday, January 30, 2010 9:01 AM
The best way to do the front swaybar is to remove the subframe from the car to gain easy access to the swaybar components.
If you don't already have a swaybar on your car now, you'll have to buy the Dbushing retainer which hold the sway bar to the subframe via these retainers. There's two that do this and you'll have to get them from the junkyard or just buy them from GMPartsDirect.com.

Get ahold of the Haynes manual or the Chiltons or both to give you step by step instructions on how to go about doing the work yourself.
Believe it or not, this is how I do most of my work on the car and that's by using some form of service manual whether it's the dealer service manual or the Chiltons/ Haynes manuals.
It's all there in the books to show you how to do it and do it right.

Good luck with it and don't hesitate in doing this yourself.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Saturday, January 30, 2010 9:20 AM
z yaaaa wrote:well... you can crawl under the car best you can and feel up around the REAR of the front lower control arms. the sway bar will be attached to it via rubber bushings attached in a row of like 4 of them i believe. picture 4 bushings stacked on top of each other with a bolt going through them. the sway bar is attached by this to the control arm.

as far as a kit, a few companies make the front. eibach and addco are the popular ones. actually.. come to think of it, i dont recall ever seeing or hearing about a different brand front sway, could be wrong though...

Comparing my buddies Addco to my Eibach, I suspect they are made by the same manufacture. They are identical in all aspects except for the outer finish.

Saturday, January 30, 2010 4:34 PM
^^^ agreed.

Sunday, January 31, 2010 9:35 AM
Heres the write up on how to put the front bar in, not overly complicated just some little things to pay attention to.

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=3&i=136612&t=136612#136612

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search