Drums - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Drums
Tuesday, August 03, 2010 5:21 AM
I am still running stock brake setup on my Z and am having issues with the rear brakes. Seems like the rears want to engage before the fronts do. I was thinkin maybe a bad metering or proportioning valve.?.?. Any ideas guys? Thanx for lookin

Re: Drums
Tuesday, August 03, 2010 3:22 PM
Maybe you just need to adjust the rear shoes away from the drum a bit?
Tuesday, August 03, 2010 4:17 PM
I tried that but since i am frequent on he parking brake and and do a lot of revrse at a decent speed, they just adjusted themselves back out. Good lookin out tho

Tuesday, August 03, 2010 4:59 PM
Add stainless braided lines on the front. You'll like the improved feel.
Tuesday, August 03, 2010 10:30 PM
I'm sorry but the rear brakes are suppose to engage first. To my understanding it prevents the car from nose diving
when you are stopping..
Friday, August 06, 2010 2:09 PM
Umm the brakes attempt to ingauge equally for smooth deceleration and to avoid pulling in any direction, and when decelerating any vehicle, the weight transfers to the front which is what causes the front to dip. It is the suspensions job to keep nose diving in check not the brakes.
Tuesday, August 10, 2010 7:23 AM
I had a problem with the rears locking up after doing a complete brake job. I finally fixed it when I installed some Delco shoes.

2.2 97 Cavalier......the "Crapalier"
Tuesday, August 10, 2010 8:06 AM
the rears do engage first to prevent nose diving. it is the proper operation of the setup. however, it should only slightly engage before the fronts
Tuesday, August 10, 2010 9:34 AM
Drums like to wrap on themselves and thatll make them partially lockup. Theyre @!#$ty drums on a GM econobox. Its just something Ive accepted.

Thursday, August 19, 2010 2:36 PM
I think I have the same problem on my '00 Sunfire. In my case if the car sits for a few days or sits overnight when it rain I have to be very careful to apply the brakes a few times before I actually get onto the road. When I just barely touch the pedal one or both of the rears locks up tight. Even just rolling at a walking pace in the driveway I'll drag a tire if I breath on the pedal.

The car had new drums and shoes just before I got it (I knew this car for a couple of years) and the problem went away but came back in maybe a few thousand miles later. I've read and suspect that it has to do with aftermarket shoes and maybe drums. Something about the leading edge of the shoe needing to be chamfered slightly, supposedly the OEM ones are.

When I do pads and rear drums and shoes soon I'm going to chamfer the new shoes and see how they work out. This problem is ridiculously unsafe in snow and very dangers in rain. Seems to be fairly common too.

/\/\ac
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search