suspension and rear brake question - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
suspension and rear brake question
Sunday, December 12, 2010 1:04 PM
I have a 2000 cavalier base sedan with 200,000 miles on it. I have a few questions about the brakes and suspension. 1.)what could be causing the front passenger side corner of the car to sag? Could whatever is causing the front right corner to sag be causing the rattling coming from the front? 2.)what could be causing a clunking sound cooming from the rear of the car? It sounds like it coming from just behind the rear seat. 3.)what could be causing the E-brake in car to not work? When I pull the handle, I can hear movement in the rear hubs but nothing happens. I have never done drum brakes before.

Re: suspension and rear brake question
Sunday, December 12, 2010 2:23 PM
If u have no experince working on cars i would not tackle this stuff yourself. That being said your front could be a number of things, but i would guess from the sound of it that the coil spring is broken.
As far as the back it could just be out of adjustment or it could be much more, u would have to take the drums off to find out more.

Sunday, December 12, 2010 2:50 PM
1 - Broken spring/Blown strut.
2 - Rear strut mount.
3 - Rear brake shoes are gone... OR the rears are WAY out of adjustment.

Assuming you don't know too much about these particular issues, for you, your passengers, and everyone else on the road I strongly suggest having a professional mechanic (and trustworthy, of course) or an experienced friend assist you. We are talking about possibly the two most important sections of your car, (suspension and brakes) it is nothing to mess around with!

Good luck!

Sunday, December 12, 2010 3:27 PM
I wasnt planning on doing the repairs myself. I dont want to risk my family if im not confident doing something. I know how to do brake pads and simple stuff like that. I just wanted to know so I had an idea of what to get prices on. Thanks for the advice.
Monday, December 13, 2010 11:03 AM
No problem, Hope everything goes well!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search