How low should I go? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
How low should I go?
Tuesday, February 08, 2011 11:06 AM
All of you that didn't go with the 2 inch drops do you regret not going lower? I'm getting ready to order my springs and I'm on the edge of a mild drop or going with the 2 inch drop.

Thanks.

- McMurrin

Re: How low should I go?
Tuesday, February 08, 2011 11:20 AM
I'd say it depends on your roads. I didn't think the prokit looked low enough but it still scraped the exhaust on some speed bumps and parking lot entrances.

Tuesday, February 08, 2011 11:43 AM
the prokit on my 03 sunfire is low enough for me, if im going down certain roads all you see is a shower of sparks coming out the back, and yes speed bumps are evil evil things

Tuesday, February 08, 2011 12:14 PM
Sometimes I wish I wasn't as low with my Goldlines but the stance at shows is worth it

Tuesday, February 08, 2011 1:46 PM
road magnets are as low as i'd ever go... 2.5" once settled.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Tuesday, February 08, 2011 2:43 PM
I'm 2" and want to be lower for sure, granted it isn't my DD. That and with my skirts and front more than half an inch is not realistic for me.

Tuesday, February 08, 2011 3:07 PM
If I got the prokit I would be going nuts. Even sportlines aren't low enough for me. Especially with my wheels on there. Compared to steelies, my 17's push the car back up about another 1/2 inch. And the speed bumps at my place are nothing to joke about. I centered the cavalier once, and learned ways around the bumps after that.

It's coilover, camber plate and solid rear mount time for me. And this is my DD If you ain't scraping on a static drop, you ain't low enough.

Tuesday, February 08, 2011 3:51 PM
You guys need to learn how to drive. I have my care about 2-3 inches off the ground and never had an issue. The only time I ever scraped was when I was not paying attention and pulled into a man eating dip in front of our base. My truck even had problems getting in without scraping.

Disclaimer: Dey see me Trollin' Dey hatin' for trollin dey trying to catch me ridin dirty.

Tuesday, February 08, 2011 5:22 PM
yea i a really don't see how u people scrape stuff on pro-kits. Must not know how to drive. I was slammed on coils and didn't have a problem, roads around hear are pretty bad to.

pro-kit wont be low enough for u, go sport-lines for a start

Tuesday, February 08, 2011 5:31 PM
i had h&r's and never scraped either, they were 2" iirc.

Tuesday, February 08, 2011 6:04 PM
I have 3 inch exhaust and an aftermarket cat....the cat is what scrapes

Tuesday, February 08, 2011 6:11 PM
im on b&G coilovers, lowered about 2.25 and i dont scrape unless im not paying attention.

Tuesday, February 08, 2011 6:13 PM
theres this one damned section in a parking lot at work that i scrap going over no matter how i try to go over it. Should be interesting with the tein ss's.

Wednesday, February 09, 2011 12:54 AM
haha yea.. the lower the better. you guys would trip if i showed you the places my car see even with how low she is.

Wednesday, February 09, 2011 7:01 AM
I don't bottom my car out per say. But it's simple with out laying boards out if I go any lower I can't get in and out of my own driveway and garage. I want to go lower but I also don't feel like wrecking my rare asz skirts either. For me it's simple this is how much room I have to work with.

scraping as is

Right now it's just my exhaust but you can see I have about 1/2 an inch I'm on my skirts, my curb is worse then that.

Wednesday, February 09, 2011 8:12 AM
My sportlines are great for a summer DD. Even in Michigan where all the roads a pretty well nasty
Wednesday, February 09, 2011 12:18 PM
Whats the best brand ?

Wednesday, February 09, 2011 12:46 PM
Lower it until you scrape, then grow some balls and lower it another inch.

Then do a barrel roll

If you really want to go low, I don't think I'd go with anything but Tein Super Street Coilovers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, February 09, 2011 12:46 PM

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.
Wednesday, February 09, 2011 2:02 PM
Tein doesn't go low unless you purchase there other springs. The lowest are B&G coil overs and STD coil overs. From everything I found through my searches STDs are the best but there are two problems. There is only one person I know of to get them through (no competition) and they're pricey but I hear well worth it.

Wednesday, February 09, 2011 6:54 PM
Meh just about as pricey as SSs once you factor in the shorter springs IIRC.

Thursday, February 10, 2011 2:41 PM
Sportlines here in michigan for years and just right

see ya!

Friday, February 11, 2011 12:11 AM
dxdean3 wrote:the prokit on my 03 sunfire is low enough for me, if im going down certain roads all you see is a shower of sparks coming out the back, and yes speed bumps are evil evil things

you suck at driving a lowered car if you spark with pro kits. lol

Saturday, February 12, 2011 6:29 PM
How low should you go? Until the lower front control arms are parallel and no lower (ie the stock setting on the tein ssp's). And then set the back for the amount of rake you want. And I still think that looks like a 4x4 until you look at the wheel gap. If you wan to lay it out for shows or whatnot, find a parking spot a mile or less from the show and drop it with the spanner wrenches.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Saturday, February 12, 2011 6:58 PM
azncav wrote:
dxdean3 wrote:the prokit on my 03 sunfire is low enough for me, if im going down certain roads all you see is a shower of sparks coming out the back, and yes speed bumps are evil evil things

you suck at driving a lowered car if you spark with pro kits. lol
agreed. bagged here and still roll real low just liek coils all the way down.

read my sig, that is all.

Sunday, February 13, 2011 7:25 AM

I've gone 1/2 inch lower since this pic. Daily driven in and around Toronto. And for anyone who has been here, you know our roads SUCK!
The only time I bottomed out is when I went over a grate in the road left by a bus, and even then, it was just my exhaust.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search