OEM Rear Mounts - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
OEM Rear Mounts
Wednesday, April 20, 2011 3:29 PM
Mark tells me that the mounts no longer come with the poly spring bushings for the top of the springs where it meets the mount. Is this true. has anyone used the mounts this way? i am kinda leary about metal on metal there. Wouldnt it make noise? cause undue wear and tear?

not bashing anyone at all with this, just asking.

Re: OEM Rear Mounts
Thursday, April 21, 2011 2:37 PM
You really don't need the poly if you think about it.
But do realize that the poly cushion there gives the mount a 1/2 inch clearance that won't be there without the cushion.
So you'll effectively be lowering the car another 3/4 to 1 inch drop from normal strut mounts if you go with the OEM mounts sans the cushion.

Here's what's not included with OEM's mounts now.

You can see where I had to trim the poly cushion to make it fit around the collar of the strut mount in this picture. This was needed to make it fit properly and to be able to reinstall the setup back on the car.

Looking at this picture, you can practically see that the cushion isn't really needed since the flange of the mount is metal to metal on the strut tower.
Also, I had to redrill three of the holes of the strut tower to accommodate larger nuts and bolts for better clamping of the pillow mount to the strut tower and give me piece of mind that the bolts were going to hold it all together.

Here is the information on the above in complete form with installation of the OEM camber plates and the OEM rear pillows.

Been very happy with the setup so far and wouldn't trade it for the world.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Thursday, April 21, 2011 2:59 PM
so james, you dont think the metal on metal with the spring is bad?

Thursday, April 21, 2011 5:10 PM
Well I'll put it to you this way.
On the fronts, I forgot to add the rubber spring perch to the strut mount with my present setup, and so far, I've had no issues with spring bind or anything else with it like it is.
So basically the spring is sitting metal to metal on the bottom of the strut mount that's part of the OEM camber plates with no problems.
I was originally going to reinstall the rubber spring perch because 'it's supposed to be there' but again with no problems with the car in heavy driving or just cruising, no problems.
I also like the fact that with the lack of the spring perch it lowered the car another 1/2 inch in the front which was perfect while still maintaining near parallel control arm to ground setup.

It's up to you with doing this. I've not tried it but I'd think that with the rear of the car being so light and depending on the spring/ strut combination you're going with, it might actually come into binding of the spring with up and down motions over time.
The other thing to remember is that even if you do try, you can easily insert the spring perch back into the rears much easier since you don't have to fool around with camber, toe, and an alignment. This was another reason for me in not reinstalling the spring perch for the front setup since it took me hours to get the alignment setup perfectly.

Good luck. Let us know what you're going to do and remember that if you do use the poly spring perches for the rear or if Mark offers them to you, you'll need to cut them to fit the shap of the top of the mount so that you can use a socket to tighten up the nuts. If you don't trim the piece the poly perch will almost cover up the holes and keep you from using a socket or anything else in there to tighten up the nuts to the bolts.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Thursday, April 21, 2011 5:57 PM
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search