Add grease fitting to strut mounts? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Add grease fitting to strut mounts?
Monday, June 06, 2011 9:35 AM
Anyone ever thought of doing this? Since our strut mount design sucks I thought maybe if I installed a grease fitting to the mounts I could give them a quick shot of grease whenever I changed my oil. I figure this could help extend the life of the mounts and also help keep noise down. Thoughts?

Re: Add grease fitting to strut mounts?
Monday, June 06, 2011 5:47 PM
It could work in theory, I don't know of any downsides to it but there might be some. If you really want to get into it you could put a grease line running out to a convenient place to get at
Monday, June 06, 2011 10:24 PM
I just spray them with some silicone spray or similar when they start making noise.

13.3 @ 106 mph Cammed
Monday, June 06, 2011 10:39 PM
why not just get a grease needle, take off the strut rod nut, and give it a 4-point shot that offsets every time you do it? then re-attach the strut nut and done... unless we're talking aboot a different part of the mount than the point between the rod and mount...

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Tuesday, June 07, 2011 9:47 AM
Rich Grayo Jr. wrote:why not just get a grease needle, take off the strut rod nut, and give it a 4-point shot that offsets every time you do it? then re-attach the strut nut and done... unless we're talking aboot a different part of the mount than the point between the rod and mount...

Basically trying to think of an easy way to get grease to the bearings themselves. The idea for the fitting was because of the access problems to the rear mounts. I figured a 90 degree fitting would be perfect for back there.

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 9:49 AM
how would you tell If strut mounts are bad? my car on the driver side makes a clunk when I hit a bump all of my suspension parts are good . so maybe its my strut mount? how would I tell ? sorry if its slightly off topic. and btw the, grease fitting thing sounds like a good idea.
Wednesday, June 29, 2011 12:34 PM
Yup, sounds like a strut mount.

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 2:49 PM
how much up and down play its normal and how much side to side its normal while turning the wheel
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search