Help please 2003 Cavalier ABS complete brake system - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Help please 2003 Cavalier ABS complete brake system
Saturday, July 02, 2011 5:37 PM
Hi, I did do a search but it's a needle in a hay stack. Basically I bought my '03 Cavalier private sale from a guy and it is a rebuild status. I knew it had been in a front end collision but the repair work looked great it felt and drove fine so no problems. Well I had a light amount of tint on the front windows and dark tint on the rear. Problem is the front window tint is illegal so I got a lovely Vehicle Inspection order for it. So I removed the tint and took her in for inspection. The usual small things like I had a license plate bulb out I was expecting. What I was not expecting was that the entire ABS system of the brakes had been pulled out. As you know they were optional for these cars so I had assumed mine was ordered without ABS. The worst part is I have had the wheels off quite a few times and yet I never took notice that someone had tied the wheel sensor wires up to the brake line with a zip tie. GOD I can't believe I never noticed this before. So yeah that's great the rules here is you can't remove ABS from an ABS equipped car. So now the help I need is I had NO idea what ABS parts work for what years. It's an '03 and I will need rear wheel hubs with ABS, ABS front wheel sensors (The rings are on the CV), ABS master cylinder, ABS pump, ABS control module, and the rear ABS wiring harness from the plug to the plug that meets the hubs. I THINK that covers it... G*D D***IT!!! I hate crooked people they always screw you. The guy said to me in over 20 years he's NEVER seen anyone pull the ABS system from a car.

Re: Help please 2003 Cavalier ABS complete brake system
Sunday, July 03, 2011 10:05 AM
Ive pulled ABS from many cars, @!#$ that @!#$. Go buy a new car, its probably easier that way.

1999 - Cavalier - 5speed - Exhaust - 17" rims - carbon fiber hood - the beater
Sunday, July 03, 2011 11:48 AM
Well it's not completely been removed that was the damn problem. I don't give a crap about ABS in fact I hate it and I think it causes as many accidents as it's supposed to prevent. I think that's why it's in there in the first place there's a lot of money to be made by multiple industries from accidents. I was happy when I bought this car that it wasn't equipped with ABS all my closest calls have been because the ABS tripped. Yes I have driven a non-ABS in slippery conditions and no I never had a problem with that once but the ABS many times. Anyways the problem is the wiring is still there and the wheel rings on the CV that's why the guy noticed inspecting. Wonderful, so I just need the aforementioned parts... Hopefully although I am worried the ABS may not function when it's all put together that could be why it was removed in the first place. I really just need to know what years work with this, the one puzzler though is the rear wheel hubs... I mean it was a front collision they remove the ABS system and removed the ABS rear hubs... Why? It makes no sense especially since they didn't remove the rest of the ABS components, stupid A holes.
Monday, July 04, 2011 10:11 AM
Where do you live that requires ABS and you would fail a safety inspection for it?

Monday, July 04, 2011 9:10 PM
Junk yard if you really want to fix. iIrc the 00 up should be same as far as motor and sensors go but I supose if you take the whole ss out of 1 car it will work together well. I would look for one that didn't crash, since they didn't work for that car too well

Wednesday, July 06, 2011 11:34 AM
Well I'm going a different route. After all, this is a letter of the law issue not a moral issue. ABS is optional on these cars and there's many of them driving around without it perfectly legal. The regulations here in BC (Canada) is that any vehicle equipped with ABS can not have the ABS removed or disabled. It's really aimed so that vehicles with standard ABS don't get tampered with some mickey mouse non-ABS system from another car. They don't want that happening but unfortunately the way it is set the rule applies to any cars with optional ABS as well if it had ABS you can't legally remove or disable it. Anyways I found another solution. Thanks though guys, in the future when I'm finished modifying my daily '03 ecotec Cavalier into a low boost turbo I'll post up some photos and list what's done.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search