Tokico HPK291 struts and springs package - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Tokico HPK291 struts and springs package
Sunday, September 11, 2011 7:23 PM
Alright so i found this deal on ebay for $500 and it seems like a good deal. Ive been reading on here about how they ride and stuff but i was wondering if this would be a hard job. Do you need to buy any other parts for this setup or does it require other parts? Is it just a direct replacement for the original shocks and struts? Also is it a hard job to do? Im in auto maintenance so im new of this stuff if anyone could help out id appreciate it. Thanks

Re: Tokico HPK291 struts and springs package
Sunday, September 11, 2011 8:55 PM
Yeah I don't know...in the title they're saying it's for 95-04 Cavalier/Sunfire (which would actually be 95-05) but then in the ad description it says it's for Camaro/Firebird? The part number they give looks to be for Cavalier/Sunfire though. I would email the seller and see what type of response you get back. Ask him your questions and see if they know what they're talking about or if they speak english lol.

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Monday, September 12, 2011 7:13 PM
Yeah when i saw the camaro thing i was like wtf? lol but yeah ill ask him about them i just didnt know if they looked right because i looked at tokico blues and they looked a little different
Monday, September 12, 2011 7:41 PM
Yeah you can't always go by pictures bc sometimes in different ads they use the real products and others use generic pics. If it were me I'd compare it to my struts on my car and see if they're the same or not. Or just get some from a reputable sourse ya know. Have you checked out carcustoms.net? They have good stuff for reasonable prices.

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Tuesday, September 13, 2011 5:49 PM
Yeah i checked carcustoms they're just a little too pricey for me. I just didn't want to put $1000 into a car that i bought for 1700 ya know. But i guess thats the price i gotta pay for real @!#$ lol
Wednesday, September 14, 2011 5:48 PM
Would the eibach pro-kit be alright on kyb gr-2's?
Wednesday, September 14, 2011 9:52 PM
Read the sticky....but you'll prob want to go with KYB AGX's instead of the KYB GR-2's. I'd get the RK Sport coil overs with stock struts from carcustoms.net though if I were to do it over again. Then you could set the ride height from 1.5'' lower to 3.5'' till you like how the car sits.

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Thursday, September 15, 2011 9:11 PM
Then again it might take them a while coming from carcustoms.net

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Friday, September 16, 2011 4:44 PM
I thought that the stock struts cant take lowering springs?
Friday, September 16, 2011 7:45 PM
They have a set up for them. Some people left reviews saying they liked it, too. Lowering with stock struts isn't the BEST, but really...it's fine if you don't go past 2'' drop in my opinion. I know other guys on here will say otherwise though. To each his own.

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Friday, September 16, 2011 9:56 PM
Okay cool. I heard that if they get cold in the winter the struts tend to break? And is it easy to put like eibach prokit springs on the stock struts?

Saturday, September 17, 2011 2:01 AM
Well you have to have some sort of spring compressor of course. Either like a table mounted one or these claw looking things that hook on to the ends of the spring to compress it to take the old off and new on. I have access to tools and air compressor, so easy for me, but not necessarily easy for anyone to do. ''search'' and ''google'' it.

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Saturday, September 17, 2011 2:11 AM
By the way, your car looks very nice and clean. Lowering it is definitely the next thing to do. On my second Cavi I put about the same size tires on as you have, and if I may suggest it...when it's time to replace the current ones if I were you I'd get some 215/45/17 or 225/45/17 tires. They'll give you a little more sidewall and really fill in the gap of the wheel well nicely. They'll feel and look just a touch better. But as I said, you have real clean car already.

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Saturday, September 17, 2011 10:03 AM
Well thought I would chime in here and help out..
1-Can you lower on stock struts,Yes you can,But the ride will be crappy due to 2 things,1 your stock struts are already done,And 2 they are not valved to control a drop spring.

2-But everyone tells me its ok to do it...Well if everyone told you to jump off a bridge would you..People who tell you its ok to do this have not drove in a car with a proper lowering kit and think that the car bouncing all over the road is cool...And yes it will be bouncy due to the fact you struts are done and not valved to work with drop springs.

3-So it cost allot to lower a car..Yes it does but is your safety and people that drive with you not worth it..To do the job the right way does cost money,but if you know someone with tools and they can help you out it will save you money.

4-What struts should I run on drop springs-Well depending on how big a drop you want to go with,The Tokico HP Blue struts work very well on a drop up to 1.5,But I myself have ran them on a 1.8 and never had issues,Another good strut is the KYB AGX strut,which will give you a 5 position adjustment,And the KONI Yellow struts,which will also give you adjustable positions,And Tokico Dspec,which is also a adjustable strut.The dspec strut I am running and have only good things to say about it,It is a big improvement over the tokico HP Blue.And the KYB GR2 struts are a OEM REPLACEMENT ONLY,They are not made for lowered cars.

5-But do I need the adjustable strut-No you do not,But it will aid in fine tuning your set up if you are racing the car or if you have extra weight in the trunk and want to make the rear end stiffer so you don't have as much rear end squat so you get better off the line performance.

6-what do I need to all do the job-Well order your springs lots of choice out there,Order your struts,when you go to do the job you will want to replace your front strut mounts,And maybe rears..The reason to replace your fronts is because the bearings go in them,And while you have everything apart and on the floor just easier to do the job one time vs two time..And after you install your new struts you will need a wheel alignment done.And once again replace your front upper mounts or if you don't and you have to change them later thats another wheel alignment for you to pay for.

7-Now you are done-Go out and enjoy you new lowered and safe car and have fun.
Saturday, September 17, 2011 4:08 PM
Jason you could have just directed him to the sticky like I tried to. How long did it take to type all that? lol

Jeffery, I do mostly agree with Jason though. If you have the money, then get the best parts. I also understand that people don't always have $1500-$2000+ to do everything just right and perfect all at once. A few years ago I did just buy the $100 lowering springs off ebay because I didn't have sufficient funds at the time, but I didn't want my car looking like a 4x4 with my new rims either ya know lol. Now that I'll be runnin over 300 hp and actually racing I will be upgrading though. Still debating on exactly what I'll do for the new susp set up though.

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Saturday, September 17, 2011 4:21 PM
Thanks wanarace and thanks jason for you response. But jason can you take a look at this ad on ebay and tell me if it looks legit? Thanks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOKICO-HP-SHOCKS-STRUTS-SPRINGS-95-04-SUNFIRE-CAVALIER-/130577175603?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ACavalier&hash=item1e67019433
Saturday, September 17, 2011 4:52 PM
well i don't mind spending time on helping ppl out,and seeing how you were the only one responding with its ok to do a job half ass instead of just doing it right i thought I should help him out.

And to jeffrey,Yes the kit is the right part numbers and the price sounds about right on that kit.But just to let you know it will be a 1.4 inch drop all the way around,So if you are ok with that then you will be happy,if not then you will need to go to a different drop spring and just buy the Tokico HP Blues on there own.

And for strut mounts you can just use the factory oem ones from monro,they will work and hold up just fine,and you really only need to change the fronts for now..If the rears are not clunking or sounding like loose lumber you will be fine,And I am sure you can find the front upper mounts on ebay.

Also over lowering your car is not a good thing either and will actually hurt your performance instead of help it..Just because you are slammed and look cool does not mean you can handle better..
Saturday, September 17, 2011 5:34 PM
Did you even read what I told him throughout the thread? It was almost the same thing as you except instead of writing it all out I said to check out the sticky bc all the same info you said is already there plus a couple more options that he might be interested in...dang dude. Yeah looking back I did get a little mixed up about the RK Sport coil overs...I meant to say ''Ground Control'', but they both have good reviews on here. Would you not recommend them? Now I'm asking for myself, bc like I said I'm still deciding on my new susp set up. I will be drag racing my car a few times a year, so what would you suggest for me?

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Saturday, September 17, 2011 6:51 PM
Hey Jeffrey, did the seller on ebay ever get in touch with you at all?

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Saturday, September 17, 2011 8:11 PM
well from what i can see all coil over suck...As in the guy at RKSport talking me out of them and telling me to go to a good lowering spring.

And if you want to go coil over go with the Tein set up or if you have deeper pockets and want better go to the KW set up..

But its your car run what you like,I have a custom made spring set up in my car which works for me,ever one is different.
Saturday, September 17, 2011 8:27 PM
Yeah Jason, I was checkin out what you had for your car. Sounds cool. Hmmm, well from what you say about coil overs I might go a different direction. I had also been looking into Koni Yellows with eibach sport line springs. That route is quite a bit more pocket change though. I don't know. I'd consider these same Tokico's Jeffry is talkin bout, but I want more than 1.4'' drop. My bad if I came across as a jerk...not my intentions at all here.

2004 Cavalier Sedan

Saturday, September 17, 2011 10:00 PM
Oh okay thanks guys. How much are those monro strut mounts your talking about jason? And no wanarace he hasnt got back to me yet. I emailed him a couple days ago and got nothing back so far.
Sunday, September 18, 2011 8:00 AM
ok Jeffrey i am not 100 per cent on the price,but i do know for the 03 to 05 cars they run about $60.00 perside,May be a bit more for your car not sure,but shop around.

And to wannarace the Koni struts are good,but do require you to modify somthing on the front to get them to fit,But I dont rember off the top of my head what that was,I think it was somthing to do with the spring pearch.But if you go to the Tokico Dspec struts they drop right in no modifing of anything..And with the Tokico Dspec strut the adjustment on them is fully adjustable,not just 5 preset settings,which I found very nice.

But if you go with the blues you will be happy,And as I stated I did run my blues on a set of 2 inch drop springs and never blew out a strut.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search