Saturn rear disc swap brake lines - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Saturn rear disc swap brake lines
Wednesday, September 21, 2011 7:15 AM
I'm in contact with a brake line manufacturer right now to see about getting us lines the correct length with the right fittings made on the hose.

I have no clue on price but would like to see how many people would be interested in these?

"Oil Leak ? What oil Leak ? Oh, Thats Just The Sweat From All The HorsePower!!"

Re: Saturn rear disc swap brake lines
Wednesday, September 21, 2011 7:49 AM
I'm down if their stainless steel lines

2010 Lonestar Bash 2nd place J-Body Street Class
Wednesday, September 21, 2011 8:19 AM
Wednesday, September 21, 2011 9:06 AM
Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:
Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:If you need SS lines for just the rear, this will be the place. And D.O.T. approved.
You're welcome ladies.

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=3&i=157134&t=157121&p=1

Actually try them to see that they work?

Saturns rear lines are 11" long

J-body front lines are 11.75" long

Its been said that the j-body front lines wont work and they are .75" longer than the saturn lines. I dont see how they would work. From my measurement, the line needs be around 18-20" long to reach the caliper and be able to be secured properly and also not be tight fitting to fitting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, September 21, 2011 10:18 AM

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 9:25 AM
DSMskyline wrote:
Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:If you need SS lines for just the rear, this will be the place. And D.O.T. approved.
You're welcome ladies.

Its been said that the j-body front lines wont work and they are .75" longer than the saturn lines. I dont see how they would work. From my measurement, the line needs be around 13" long to reach the caliper and be able to be secured properly and also not be tight fitting to fitting.

I tried the J-body fronts in the rear. Because they don't have a 45* banjo fitting they won't reach with out being pulled tight. That is to the 10mm on the frame, I don't like all the extra connections and it does not seem very secure to do use the hard point - hose - ss non braided - yet another hose.

I want to have caliper - ss braided - 10mm on frame.

When I check 13" would be good to where I had them mounted in the front but I am going to move them to the rear. Do you think that 13" will still be long enough?

-I drive my car to work-
Wednesday, September 21, 2011 9:33 AM
DSMskyline wrote:
You're welcome ladies.

Its been said that the j-body front lines wont work and they are .75" longer than the saturn lines. I dont see how they would work. From my measurement, the line needs be around 13" long to reach the caliper and be able to be secured properly and also not be tight fitting to fitting.

They said it is exactly like the factory brake hose... just SS. So with that being said, disconect the metal pipe from the J-body's drum, place SS line inbetween J-body metal pipe and Saturn caliper. If people have the rubber ones working, this one should work too.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 9:40 AM
OK, I should have clarified, Im talking about a hose that goes directly from the hardline on the body by the trailing arm mount to the caliper.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 9:56 AM
I understand what you said. The lines on the link that I gave out will not be able to work like that. It would replace the rubber one that you see in this pic.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 10:16 AM
Theres nothing wrogn with doing them that way, I just dont want to have to see this on my car:

Although, yours does look much cleaner.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, September 21, 2011 10:21 AM

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 11:09 AM
For the record, that pic came from "Roofy." I just posted it here so you can see what I was talking about.
I understand what you want, J Dearman's Neon swap kit did that actually, basically ditching the metal pipe & mid rubber hose.
Just figured to throw out a viable option.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 11:31 AM
My current Neon setup is that way, that is really why I am getting the lines done in the first place.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 12:05 PM
DSMskyline wrote:OK, I should have clarified, Im talking about a hose that goes directly from the hardline on the body by the trailing arm mount to the caliper.

This is exactly what I am wanting. There is no point to having a SS hose that connects to a rubber hose. If I have to run a long @ss SS hose that is what I am going to do. The wife has the fire right now but when she comes back I am going to measure from caliper to hardline one more time before I order SS hose. I'll be sure to post up when I get it done, though it might be a few weeks.

-I drive my car to work-
Wednesday, September 21, 2011 12:44 PM
durandall05 . wrote:
DSMskyline wrote:OK, I should have clarified, Im talking about a hose that goes directly from the hardline on the body by the trailing arm mount to the caliper.

This is exactly what I am wanting. There is no point to having a SS hose that connects to a rubber hose. If I have to run a long @ss SS hose that is what I am going to do. The wife has the fire right now but when she comes back I am going to measure from caliper to hardline one more time before I order SS hose. I'll be sure to post up when I get it done, though it might be a few weeks.

What you can do is order the J-body' SS line from that same company that I just provided. Which would replace the smaller rubber ones out back and longer ones up front. Add the rear Saturn's SS line and you have a complete SS lines and that are D.O.T. approved.
In fact here are the J-body's SS lines.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-04-CAVALIER-Z24-Stainless-Steel-SS-Brake-Lines-F-R-/250878962451?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a698d2b13
Again, another option.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 7:23 PM
DSMskyline wrote:

Its been said that the j-body front lines wont work and they are .75" longer than the saturn lines. I dont see how they would work. From my measurement, the line needs be around 18-20" long to reach the caliper and be able to be secured properly and also not be tight fitting to fitting.

I've been doing the same with Russel, Goodridge, and MagnumSheilding. I estimated roughly a 19" line. I have the lines and banjo fittings, just having no luck finding the Female M10 x 1.0 to go to the rear axle. So if you are having luck im interested!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, September 21, 2011 7:24 PM

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 7:28 PM
Stephen (manta z) wrote:
DSMskyline wrote:

I've been doing the same with Russel, Goodridge, and MagnumSheilding. I estimated roughly a 19" line. I have the lines and banjo fittings, just having no luck finding the Female M10 x 1.0 to go to the rear axle. So if you are having luck im interested!

I just re-measured and I am thinking that 20" would be about right. I am willing to fork out the cash for the correct length hose. I am going to start emailing some of the places that do custom work to get quotes soon.

-I drive my car to work-
Wednesday, September 21, 2011 7:54 PM
I already have a call in to a company that makes custom lines. I should know more by the end of the week.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 8:59 PM
DSMskyline wrote:I already have a call in to a company that makes custom lines. I should know more by the end of the week.

Ok cool, I'll be waiting for the results.

-I drive my car to work-
Thursday, September 22, 2011 6:37 AM
What you can do is order the J-body' SS line from that same company that I just provided. Which would replace the smaller rubber ones out back and longer ones up front. Add the rear Saturn's SS line and you have a complete SS lines and that are D.O.T. approved.
In fact here are the J-body's SS lines.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-04-CAVALIER-Z24-Stainless-Steel-SS-Brake-Lines-F-R-/250878962451?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a698d2b13
Again, another option.

This is what I'll be doing, I already have J-body rear stainless SS lines from Russell in a box at the shop.

Thursday, September 22, 2011 9:20 AM
Try pegaus auto for the lines. If I buy custom lines and cables its normally through them.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Monday, September 26, 2011 4:28 AM
You know I'm interested.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Monday, September 26, 2011 9:40 AM
Ugh, heard nothing back yet. Hopefully today. If not, I'll be on the phone tomorrow.

Monday, September 26, 2011 12:24 PM
I may be interested as well, depending on the price.

Monday, September 26, 2011 4:14 PM
Interested depending on price.
Monday, September 26, 2011 5:17 PM
Hoping it is cheaper then the 60-80 a side i was estimating when i was building them.

Monday, September 26, 2011 5:55 PM
Thats nuts, is that lines, hose ends, and fittings?I'mIm looking for a 1 piece hose, at worst a hose and 1 extra fitting.

I will know tomorrI'm. Im going to a manufacturer to layout the hose how I want.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search