Help loose at high speed - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Help loose at high speed
Monday, April 09, 2012 10:30 PM
OK guys I have a question. how can I tighten up my car at high speeds? the car seems loose or just not as "grippy" as it could be.
so what can be done to make the handling better.
I have swapped the 2.2 to 3.4 it's a 97 cavalier with one of those low factory spoilers

things I have thought of but have not done I'm still working on this car but I am also driving it daily.
new wider tires with a shorter side wall.
new struts. what kind?
stiffer springs but what kind / make?
bigger sway bar but which one? can one be had from another car?
what about those front bumper spoilers do they really work? I probably wouldn't put one on anyway there are a lot of coons around here. it wouldn't make it 1 week.
do they make racing suspension parts? like ball joints outer tie rods
would a strut bar help?
steering seems sensitive at high speeds
my brother-in-law also has a cavalier and it to is loose at high speeds his still has the 2.2 in it.

I like to use parts from other cars rather than buy new performance parts. so lets hear those ideas and thanks for the help!

Re: Help loose at high speed
Tuesday, April 10, 2012 5:40 AM
We have no idea what you're running now, so giving you input on how to upgrade can't happen.

Tires?
Suspension?

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 3:42 PM
...tires low on air?
Tuesday, April 10, 2012 6:07 PM
how fast is "high speed?" what size sidewall? stock ride height? what tire width? when were the bushings/tire rods/ball joints/struts/alignment/wheel balance looked at?

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Tuesday, April 10, 2012 11:16 PM
oh god.

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 7:40 AM
Bill me-later wrote:
Dream Car: Bugatti Veyron

Problem sloved.....

2000 Cavalier Z24 5spd - Intake, Dynomax muffler, Hawk Pads, Powerslot rotors, Sportlines/Koni reds, Neon Coil, MSD 8.5 Wires - **SOLD**
2014 Kia Forte Koup SX 6spd - 1.6L Turbo - My new car
2015 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD - Wifes Car

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 7:27 PM
StatiCav (AznCav) wrote:oh god.

same thoughts going through my head. . . .

I need a new sig.
Friday, April 13, 2012 11:21 AM
OK, OK.

It's all stock except for the front springs I'm pretty sure they have been swapped out for lower springs. as the car sits lower than a stock 97 cavalier.

stock 14" tires

High speed = 65 MPH and up but to be honest it could use some help at slower speeds as well.

also I'd like to put a set of at least 16" rims on it. But I don't want to spend a ton of money on them. I'd rather have a factory set from Chevy Pontiac or pt cruiser.
Friday, April 13, 2012 8:53 PM
Find a used set local or at junkyard. I run 14s for winter, and just switched back to my 16s. Sure did miss them in the corners and that.

2000 Cavalier Z24 5spd - Intake, Dynomax muffler, Hawk Pads, Powerslot rotors, Sportlines/Koni reds, Neon Coil, MSD 8.5 Wires - **SOLD**
2014 Kia Forte Koup SX 6spd - 1.6L Turbo - My new car
2015 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD - Wifes Car

Monday, April 16, 2012 7:19 AM
What you need to do is read the FAQ. That will give you all the info to upgrade from stock. I was under the impression there were already mods done.

Monday, April 16, 2012 4:38 PM
You gotta remember a Cavalier is an economy car with economy car suspension. That bring said, I don't think I have experienced any of this "looseness" on my '01 at thruway speeds. My steering rack is going so there's a little play but it's not an uncontrollable mess of a car by any means.

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 6:42 AM
Step 1: do basic maintenance... tie rods, ball joints, strut mounts, control arm bushings will all wear and make for a loose feeling car.

Step 2: read the suspension faq as recommended for basic upgrades.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search