ABS and rattling break pedal - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
ABS and rattling break pedal
Monday, June 25, 2012 2:18 PM
Recently replaced wheel bearings on my 96 Z24. A few weeks later, the passenger hub nut came off causing the ABS light to come on and the pedal to go to the floor when turing corners. Fortunately I was close to home when this happened.

After torquing the nut back on the ABS light turned off and the pedal went firm again. But now the pedal makes a rattling noise, also sounds like gears spinning. It only happen for half a second and causes the pedal to drop briefly. This happens about 2/3rds of the time I brake.

This sympton is not at all similar to a failing master cylinder or warped rotors. I have reinspected the brakes, rotors, breaings and I see no signs of damage.

Does the ABS system use some type of gears or motor to trigger the system? The noise I hear sound just like that, Otherwise the car brakes hard and smooth.

Re: ABS and rattling break pedal
Monday, June 25, 2012 2:48 PM
Make sure the abs sensor didnt get bent away from the axle, and that the ring on the axle is in good condition and strait. The ring I'm talking about has a bunch of grooves on it all the way around the axle.

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Tuesday, June 26, 2012 7:59 AM
Does the ring you mention have gear teeth on it? I see are ring around the axle that looks like a large gear.
Tuesday, June 26, 2012 9:48 PM
Yes, they resemble gear teeth.

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Tuesday, June 26, 2012 9:54 PM
Checked the speed sensor and it has minor damage. I cleaned it up but was not able to salvage it. I bought a sensor for cheap on the internet and its on the way.

If the ring happens to be damaged also, is a new axle the only way to repair it?
Wednesday, June 27, 2012 12:09 AM
Y o r x s wrote:Checked the speed sensor and it has minor damage. I cleaned it up but was not able to salvage it. I bought a sensor for cheap on the internet and its on the way.

If the ring happens to be damaged also, is a new axle the only way to repair it?

If the ring is damaged, then most likely replacing the cv would be the only way to repair it. It is removable as far as I can see, but finding a replacement ring and going to a shop to have it removed and pressed on will most likely cost the same (or more) as a replacement. The cv shafts are pretty cheap for these cars anyway. (Especially online)

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search