What is the curved bar lower diver side for? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
What is the curved bar lower diver side for?
Tuesday, July 24, 2012 6:53 PM
I hit the brakes really hard (lady on cell phone) all of a sudden my front driver side wheel is rubbing the inner fender near the fire wall and this curved bar hits the ground. NTB cant figure out what the bar is for less loan tell me why the wheel did what it did. Can anyone can elaborate? on the bar and the wheel if possible.

Re: What is the curved bar lower diver side for?
Tuesday, July 24, 2012 7:56 PM
Sounds like the sway bar. Only curved bar close to the firewall .

Tuesday, July 24, 2012 9:00 PM
No the bar or rod I'm referring to connects at the very end or tip of of the sub fame and bolts to the lower side of the radiator support. on the driver side.
Tuesday, July 24, 2012 9:18 PM
its basically a crash bar. essentially if the driver tire goes off but the middle of the car doesnt it can hit the crash bar and protect the frame. mine is all scraped up.

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 6:41 AM
I would replace it if it fell off but look into control arm bushings having play for the initial problem
Wednesday, July 25, 2012 7:22 AM
Your tire is rubbing the inner fender and you're worried about that bar? That's not "play" in the bushings, that's the control arm or subframe being broken or separated.

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 10:44 AM
James Cahill wrote:Your tire is rubbing the inner fender and you're worried about that bar? That's not "play" in the bushings, that's the control arm or subframe being broken or separated.

My car did this and it ended up being bad bushings. They seperated from the sleeve in the arm. It's actually pretty common. But I agree, it could be a more serious issue than just bushings.
Wednesday, July 25, 2012 11:22 AM
NTB should know this as they specialize is suspension and brakes.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Wednesday, July 25, 2012 11:59 AM
What is ntb?
Wednesday, July 25, 2012 8:43 PM
Dave De Stefano wrote:What is ntb?

National Tire and Battery. basically an autozone/advance/pepboys with a service station.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Wednesday, July 25, 2012 9:34 PM
NTB is National Tier and Butt Fcucck. I have reviewed all the post, and I thank you. I think the problem is a rusting sub frame, I have the urethane busings in the control arms so either the arm shifted or the sub frame shifted due to rusty areas. Will post update once the new sub frame comes.

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 9:36 PM
That bar drops down so you can grab it and beat the crap out of the person on the cell phone...

Buildin' n' Boostin for 08' - Alex Richards
Thursday, July 26, 2012 4:31 AM
If you have good bushings, I would have to agree, subframe issues are what I would look at next. Jack up the driver front of the car and give the suspension a good shake down. Look for play what you shake it. If you have someone else, while its on the ground, one person turn the wheel lock to lock the other person use a light and look for what's moving underneath the car.
Thursday, July 26, 2012 12:11 PM
BNice Alex....]

Thursday, July 26, 2012 1:32 PM
It is called a p*ssy Brace!!

FU Tuning

Sunday, July 29, 2012 7:22 PM
This bar is the torsion bar. I took mine off wire brushed and put a couple coats of paint on it. I have been wondering if mine is a little twisted? It would be nice to be able to look at another cavalier. To see if mine is a lil twisted or if it's suppose to be like that. I know it's curved. But say your looking at it from above u know when standing over car with hood popped when I'm looking at the bar looks not level a lil twisted.
Monday, July 30, 2012 5:21 AM
Ok Thanks all, found why the drives wheel was rubbing. The sub frame had rotted through right under the inner driver tie rod, couldn't be seen from the bottom. But my dilemma is shouldn't NTB been able to tell something was wrong? spically when they tried to alien it and the steering wheel was off center? Nes sub iframe is in, easy job just looks difficult.
Monday, July 30, 2012 7:07 AM
Huh,

Aliens got it?

Ok Thanks all, found why the drives wheel was rubbing. The sub frame had rotted through right under the inner driver tie rod, couldn't be seen from the bottom. But my dilemma is shouldn't NTB been able to tell something was wrong? spically when they tried to alien it and the steering wheel was off center? Nes sub iframe is in, easy job just looks difficult.

Monday, July 30, 2012 7:34 AM

Ok Thanks all found why the drives wheel was rubbing the fender well afte a hard braking incident. . The sub frame had rotted through right under the inner driver tie rod, couldn't be seen from the bottom of the car nor by just looking through the wheel well. But my dilemma is shouldn't NTB been able to tell something was wrong? Especially when they tried to align it and the steering wheel was off center?

The new sub frame is in, easy job it just looks difficult.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search