tokico struts - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
tokico struts
Thursday, August 02, 2012 12:32 PM
Hey everyone,
I have a 2004 sunfire 2 DR coupe and I'm in need of new struts, right now I am sitting on Goldline springs with KYB GR2 struts ( I know they're not the proper ones, blah blah blah lol ). Anyways heres my delima, I plan on keeping the car for atleast another 5 years or till it runs into the ground and I'm trying to decide if I should spend $700 on a set of Tokico HP Blues with my gold line springs, or just go with A oem replacement and go back to factory springs. I love having a lowered car, love the stance and the handling (when they weren't worn out) and I'm on 17" rims with 215/45/17's if that makes any difference

What is the reputation of the Tokico HP Blue struts? Are they going to last me 5 years or so on the gold line springs? If so then I prob will run the tokicos if not then i'll prob go back to oem. This car is a DD, put about 20-25K a year on the car and I live in Nova Scotia, Canada. @!#$ cold winters with TONS of salt.

If anyone can help me with some advice i'd really apprecciate it. I'd really like to go with the HP Blues but if there gonna wear out on me in 2-3 years then its not worth my time or money.
Thanks

150.0 DB, Loudest in Atlantic Canada, Street Class A.
Next year 155 DB

Re: tokico struts
Thursday, August 02, 2012 1:32 PM
Well i was gonna say see my D-Specs CHEAP post but im only seeing 95-05 listed for any Tokico's...perhaps im missing it but when i put in car make and model the only thing that comes up is the95-05...possibly discontinued?..i dunno...but whatever you can get from them may or may not be hugely discounted ala the D-Spec kits at almost 1k off

Friday, August 03, 2012 4:54 AM
Spitfire wrote:Hey everyone,
I have a 2004 sunfire 2 DR coupe...

2Kz wrote:Well i was gonna say see my D-Specs CHEAP post but im only seeing 95-05 listed for any Tokico's
Last I checked, 04 was between 95 and 05, but I could be wrong.

Friday, August 03, 2012 6:19 AM
Lol wow ...yea ......ask me why I was reading 94 there and prolly still wouldn't get it right..my bad for sure.....and I really hope he caught my miss and checked em out before they sold out as they appear to have...again wow...I can't even claim some form of dyslexia on that (

Friday, August 03, 2012 6:42 AM
LOL. Yeah I saw the update in your other thread that they're gone. Too bad. That was a hell of a deal.

Sunday, August 05, 2012 8:37 AM
yeah i missed the sale........... they said they still had some hp blues at like 20% off but i can get them a little cheaper through a local dealer, plus i wouldnt have to pay shipping

Next year 155 DB
Sunday, August 05, 2012 2:58 PM
Saw a dspec kit on ebay for like 459, same kit i got...imagine some bought a few to resell was there today but im sure others did the same

Sunday, August 05, 2012 4:38 PM
Have any of u guys had any problems with D-spec rear struts?
Sunday, August 05, 2012 5:05 PM
Define *problems* lol? im currently having trouble getting a boot kit for em but only cuz i havent called them due to being closed)

Monday, August 06, 2012 10:24 AM
2KZ wrote:Saw a dspec kit on ebay for like 459, same kit i got...imagine some bought a few to resell was there today but im sure others did the same

theres a few tokico hp blue kits for like $449, which would be a wicked deal if i didnt get raped from customs and brokerage fees............ last time i bought something from the states and shipped ups i got hit with $110 brokerage fees on a $350 steering wheel.................... so i dont wanted to end up paying $200+ on a $500 item(after shipping)

Next year 155 DB
Monday, August 06, 2012 6:45 PM
Well the rears seem to bounce like a damn pogo stick yet there are no signs of leakage and they were brand new. I was also pretty confused with mounting the rears. It doesn't seem correct, the KYB's agx's I had on there and my old OEM ones have a pretty decent size i guess you can call it a washer/spacer on the shaft where the D-Specs don't. The d-specs have a tapered part
One other concern I have is the KYB strut mounts are garbage, they are so flexible and have so much play and have their own kindof "spring" to them.. So I think I am going to just go with the O.E.M solid mounts on all 4 corners.

Monday, August 13, 2012 3:35 PM
What are these O.E.M solid mounts you speak of Schnupper??

I'm using D-spec/sportline combo new since April '12
Keep the gas tank full-1/2 minimum,

(For driving in this area)
-Fronts set at 5 soft
-Rears set on 5.5 soft

Your right Schnupper....KYB strut mounts are absolute trash waste of cash even brand new
using D-specs/sportline
Tired of hearing that tuff plastic poor excuse for strength/insulation upper mount skipping on the spring
in slow turns.
5mm wheel spacer in the rear works well with the rear combo-factory sway-bar
Monday, August 13, 2012 4:02 PM
WWW.OverKillEngineeringMotorsports.com ... solid mounts are here i believe

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 8:59 AM
so i've decided to go with the hp blues inseated of reverting back to stock, i love the stance of me car lowered car too much lol

now im trying to decided if i keep my old goldline springs which are rusty as hell or say f it and get a new set of tein s techs. oh and i am getting all new strut mounts too, i can get them super cheap through my work.

Next year 155 DB
Tuesday, August 14, 2012 1:48 PM
Those front mounts arouse me...gotta get some.
Do they work with D-Specs though? Says the rear mounts do.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search