Weak e brake, saturn/neon discs - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Weak e brake, saturn/neon discs
Sunday, October 21, 2012 10:49 AM
I have had this issue from the start with the original jeffie swap, i thought it was due to the cheap parts i had used at the time but i have the same issue again with the saturn/neon setup and quality parts.

The problem is i have no stopping power with the e brake, it is good enough to hold the car while parked but no more than that.

Both brake cables operate correctly, the mechanisms on the calipers turn as far as they can in both directions, im not sure where to look from here... any ideas?

Have a nice day.

Re: Weak e brake, saturn/neon discs
Sunday, October 21, 2012 6:52 PM
So are you trying to stop the car using just the ebrake?

You realize our cars use the front brakes for like 60% of the braking right?

FU Tuning

Sunday, October 21, 2012 7:16 PM
When I did my neon rear disk brake swap on my 2nd gen, I could never the ebrake to work, not even the slightest bit.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Sunday, October 21, 2012 7:42 PM
Addicted to meth wrote:So are you trying to stop the car using just the ebrake?

You realize our cars use the front brakes for like 60% of the braking right?

I think it's more than that actually.
Sunday, October 21, 2012 8:24 PM
its usually 70/30

Sunday, October 21, 2012 9:48 PM
Yes I am well aware of the Front/Rear proportioning, no I am not trying to stop my car from highway speeds with just the E Brake, I just think it should be stopping better, Example if I'm pulling into a parking spot and pull the e brake, you would expect (at that speed) for the car to come to a semi-abrupt stop, but no, pull the brake and the car will slowly roll to a stop, it has absolutely no breaking or holding power beyond when the car is sitting still. It won't even hold the tires on my gravel laneway, from a stop with the e brake locked it will roll them over where they should in theory be holding the wheels with the little traction that gravel provides.

Have a nice day.
Sunday, October 21, 2012 10:17 PM
You are right, the purpose of the ebrake is to stop the car if your brakes fail. I know I can pull mine at 70mph in my 2000 z24 and lock the rear tires. My 89 z24 i did the neon swap on doesn't even hold the tires enough to take lug nuts off if it is jacked up.

Sunday, October 21, 2012 10:34 PM
Wish I could offer some more helpful advice to you guys, both the Jeffie! and SRT-4 swaps ive installed work great. Try holding the brake pedal as hard as u can and pull the e-brake up and down a few times. They work on a ratcheting mechanism and are probably just slightly out of adjustment.

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Monday, October 22, 2012 5:15 PM
I have worked the e brake countless times, and with daily use for over a year you would think that any adjustment that needed to be done would have sorted itself out by now...

Have a nice day.
Tuesday, October 23, 2012 10:47 AM
try bleeding the brakes? maybe theres air in the lines? enought to work but not great? my camaro rear calipers(baers) wont lock the brakes up, but it will slow it to a roll.
but if i parka nd pull the brake it holds tight, enough to break the lugs loose with the wheel in the air.
Tuesday, October 23, 2012 1:13 PM
Brakes have been bled just fine, but it doesnt matter for me anymore..

Have a nice day.

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 2:23 PM
the jbody ebrake was designed and meant for use with a drum and shoe setup. it is alot easier for the mechanics of it all to work when a shoe is being push outward to apply the stopping power, then it is for a caliper to be squeezed inward being asked to do the same job. I know a lot of people that have said for rotor/caliper style ebrakes, whether Baer, or the Neon setup or DIY kits, they have had to apply the normal brake first then apply the ebrake for it to work at all. Even just to hold the car in place. I have the Wilwood drum/shoe style ebrake, and it works flawlessly, will slow me to a stop from 50MPH in a heartbeat.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search