Cavalier vibrates when stopping on highway - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Cavalier vibrates when stopping on highway
Wednesday, November 07, 2012 6:48 PM
Hey guys I have a 96 cavalier. I has new lower control arms with balljoints, front pads and rotors, front sway bar links and front struts. I also just had 4 new tires put on, balanced and aligned. The previous owner put new rear pads and wheel cylinders on it. The car drives smooth no matter how fast your going. In the city going under 50mph it stops smooth too. When I'm on the highway doing 65+ and hit the brakes the car vibrates until I slow Down. I don't feel it in the pedal or wheel. It kinda feels like it is coming from the rear like it is hopping. Any ideas what it could be?

Re: Cavalier vibrates when stopping on highway
Wednesday, November 07, 2012 6:55 PM
Warped Drums. Replace the rear dums and if you want buy a rebuild kit and replace all the spring hardware on both sides. Problem should be solved then.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Wednesday, November 07, 2012 7:04 PM
That is what my buddy thought it could be also. I also notice the pedal kicks back some when I lightly push the brake pedal down some going slow. Would rear drums cause this too?
Wednesday, November 07, 2012 7:33 PM
Don't know unless the ABS thinks the wheels are locked. Most rear vibration or wheel locking is caused by warped drums.

Wednesday, November 07, 2012 7:35 PM
Its a good idea to rebuild the brake assembly when that issue happens as there could be issues that will cause the next one to warp. It only cost like $20 for both kits. It is a 2 bag kit. You need to get the spring kit and the other kit with that adjuster and pins and clips. Both bags will do both sides. You will be much happier when everything is cleaned and rebuilt.

Wednesday, November 07, 2012 7:58 PM
I will pay extra attention to see if its the front or back in the morning when I go to work
Wednesday, November 07, 2012 8:35 PM
why two posts?

Thursday, November 08, 2012 5:06 AM
delete the other one please.
Thursday, November 08, 2012 9:55 AM
so guys, if i pull the parking brake lightly on the highway it should shake if its the rear right? That would narrow it down for me i think?
Thursday, November 08, 2012 6:35 PM
new drums, pads and hardware and it seems to have gone away! Thanks for all the help guys!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search