Wheel hop - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Wheel hop
Friday, March 01, 2013 11:34 AM
So my car has already had wheel hop issues but no matter what I do I can't get rid of it. It has a ttr upper motor mount, RkSport dogbone, prothane tranny mounts, prothane control arm bushings, new ball joints, koni yellow struts and Eibach Sportline springs. I'm really afraid the wheel hop is gonna cause some serious issues soon since I just purchased drag radials. Help please lol

Re: Wheel hop
Friday, March 01, 2013 2:12 PM
go through exactly what you do for a launch...

also, what are the yellows set at?

It's nice to be injected but I love being blown.
Saturday, March 02, 2013 9:27 AM
Have you looked at your CA bushings?

-I drive my car to work-
Saturday, March 02, 2013 10:14 AM
Replace you TTR upper mount with the rksport motor mount or the the level zero upper motor mount. The TTR mount has to much play and is just a stock motor mount with a better bushing.

Also what size rims are you running right now. Bigger rims will cause wheel hop.
Saturday, March 02, 2013 11:48 AM
Control arm bushing are brand new and polyurethane. Had the RkSport upper mount already. Wasn't any better then ttr. I'm currently running 215/45/17 Neogens but I have a pair of 225/50/16 drag radials. The koni yellows no longer adjust but when they did I noticed that the tighter I made them the more it wheel hopped. The street tires spin for the most part on the street but on a drag street it just hops. The radials wheel hop on the street but I've never had them on a track. It seems like either I spin or I get traction and it wheel hops.
Saturday, March 02, 2013 11:58 AM
Jason Burten wrote:Replace you TTR upper mount with the rksport motor mount or the the level zero upper motor mount. The TTR mount has to much play and is just a stock motor mount with a better bushing.

Also what size rims are you running right now. Bigger rims will cause wheel hop.

Really? The TTR upper mount is nothing like stock.

What tire pressure are you running when you race and get wheel hop? What are you launching at?

Do you have a front sway bar?

FU Tuning

Saturday, March 02, 2013 12:37 PM
I keep the tires at around 40-43 psi. I do have the Eibach front sway bar and an eBay front strut bar. On street tires I have to basically idle launch. I had 30 psi in the drag radials
Saturday, March 02, 2013 3:50 PM
Well yes the TTR mount is a good factory replacement that's all.

Radial tires like to wheel hop not sure why. I would bolt on the slicks and just try it out. Sounds like you have done everything you can. Maybe time to get a team green LSD. Or just keep trying different launch rpms.
Sunday, March 03, 2013 8:06 AM
Jason Burten wrote:Well yes the TTR mount is a good factory replacement that's all.

Radial tires like to wheel hop not sure why. I would bolt on the slicks and just try it out. Sounds like you have done everything you can. Maybe time to get a team green LSD. Or just keep trying different launch rpms.

Not sure what car your talking about but the TTR mount is nothing like stock.

30psi on drag radials is too high. I usually ran around 15psi in my nitto drag radials. They also required alot of heat.

FU Tuning

Sunday, March 03, 2013 9:27 AM
Have run the radials. Get them hot and they hop. I will have to try them at a lower psi I suppose. And the ttr mount is a huge upgrade over the stock the mount
Sunday, March 03, 2013 3:44 PM
Ethan Duke wrote:Have run the radials. Get them hot and they hop. I will have to try them at a lower psi I suppose. And the ttr mount is a huge upgrade over the stock the mount

What drag radials are you using. My nitto's like heat, but others don't.

30 psi is too much even for street tires at the track.

FU Tuning

Sunday, March 03, 2013 8:33 PM
Addicted to meth wrote:
Ethan Duke wrote:Have run the radials. Get them hot and they hop. I will have to try them at a lower psi I suppose. And the ttr mount is a huge upgrade over the stock the mount

What drag radials are you using. My nitto's like heat, but others don't.

30 psi is too much even for street tires at the track.

Hoosier DOT drag radials
Sunday, March 03, 2013 10:21 PM
Your tire pressures are way to high.

30-32psi in your street tires.

12-15psi in your drag radials is usually where you want them.

Why are you running your pressures so high? It's just as bad as running them to low.

I have the exact same setup as you, no wheel hop on the street on my 16's, no wheel hop on the drag strip on my drag slicks at the track.

Monday, March 04, 2013 2:24 AM
lower the pressure.
raise the rpm
slip-dump the clutch.

if you still hop, you need more RPM or you need to slow down the slipping of the clutch before you dump it out.

a GOOD launch in a FWD should have a bit of slippage. if the tires aren't slipping just a little bit, you're going to bog.

you should be able to hit a 2.2 60' on crap street tires.

I used to run down to maybe 25psi on 195 70r14 and would run 2.2s all day... hit 2.1s on occasion.

with 225-50r15 DRs at 20psi I'd frequent 2.0 and dip into 1.9s on occasion.

5200rpm launch

Monday, March 04, 2013 7:11 PM
I keep them that high for autocross. Any loss and they roll over. But Ill let some air out and see how it launches
Monday, March 04, 2013 7:43 PM
Ethan Duke wrote:I keep them that high for autocross. Any loss and they roll over. But Ill let some air out and see how it launches

you autocross on Hoosier DOT drag radials?

Tuesday, March 05, 2013 11:30 AM
DaFlyinSkwirl (Pj) wrote:
Ethan Duke wrote:I keep them that high for autocross. Any loss and they roll over. But Ill let some air out and see how it launches

you autocross on Hoosier DOT drag radials?

No no lol I autocross on street tires. I bought the drag radials for the drag strip. Got them cheap.
Thursday, March 07, 2013 2:58 PM
Increase you HP, this will solve your wheel hop issues.

That is all!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search